Vettel, Schumacher In Thai Grand Prix Preview

webfact

Vettel, Schumacher in Thai grand prix preview

The Nation

30183951-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Perhaps the biggest motor sports event Thailand has ever seen, the Race of Champions featuring Formula One stars Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher will roar into Rajamangala National stadium in December.

The annual Race of Champions pits top drivers from the world's premier motor sports competitions - Formula One, the World Rally Championship and Nascar - against one another in identical cars at venues around the world.

Thailand won the right to host the event for two consecutive years starting this year when the two-day competition celebrates its 25th anniversary.

Kanokphand Chulakasem, Sports Authority of Thailand governor, announced at the conference yesterday that current and twotime Formula One champion Vettel and his German compatriot Schumacher, with a record tally of seven F1 titles under his belt, have confirmed their participation in the December 16-17 event.

"Rajamangala will temporarily turn into a racing venue where 50,000 fans can watch cars reaching speeds between 200 and 300kph.

"This year, local fans have the good fortune to watch two world championranked drivers, Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher.

"We have set aside a Bt400million budget for the event each year, some from Red Bull, Singha Corporation and other private sector partners.

"We believe the event will boost Thailand's image internationally and bring huge revenue to the country. We'll transform Rajamangala into a worldclass track with a Bt10million budget," said Kanokphand.

The SAT governor further revealed that the negotiations to host a Formula One race in the country are going well.

F1 in Thailand by 2014

"Our discussions with [Formula One CEO] Bernie Ecclestone have gone smoothly. We expect to get rights to host a grand prix from 2014 onwards. The race might be held at night to accommodate viewers in Europe and help earn more in sponsorship.

"Chalerm Yoovidhya, Red Bull team owner, is helping negotiate the hosting fee, which is likely to be about Bt1.2 billion, compared to the Bt2 billion China paid.

"The cost of building a new F1 venue to accommodate 100,000 spectators will be about Bt100 million. We need to finalise the budget before we propose it to the cabinet. We expect the overall budget for hosting an F1 race to be around Bt5 billion," said Kanokphand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-12

Race of Champions are fun to watch, lots of racing and lots of good driving is on show. It also shows that the different drivers in different cars... I like watching it on TV and I would for sure want to go to Bangers for that race as well...

F1 in Thailand??? haha, what about soi dogs, road quality, grid girls could be katoeys (hahah, that could be fun to watch) Thai safety measures...

• Like 1

"Rajamangala will temporarily turn into a racing venue where 50,000 fans can watch cars reaching speeds between 200 and 300kph."

unsure.png you might want to check that again

What's wrong with that?

• Like 1

>>"The cost of building a new F1 venue to accommodate 100,000 spectators will be about Bt100 million. We need to finalise the budget before we propose it to the cabinet. We expect the overall budget for hosting an F1 race to be around Bt5 billion," said Kanokphand.

That seems awful cheap to build a world class F1 circuit at only 3.5 million USD. What's the other 190 million USD going to be spent on? Someone better recheck those figures!

Here we go again, the snide remarks about Thai taxis, Thai driving style and all that other predictable <deleted>. 200 to 300 kmh in Rajamang? Er, no.

The figures have probably been mistranslated. Building a F1 track in Thailand will cost 100 BILLION baht, IMO.

Now, where are they going to build the track? Within 2 years?

• Like 1

"Rajamangala will temporarily turn into a racing venue where 50,000 fans can watch cars reaching speeds between 200 and 300kph."

What's wrong with that?

201 is between 200 and 300 kph so let's be generous and assume that the reporter was putting a super complexion on what he what he meant. My guess is that whoever dreamed up this fantasy works (I use the term loosely) for TAT who are notorious for plucking figures out of the air. Since the longest straight in the stadium would be 150 metres at most any vehicle would have to be driven by a rocket to attain the reported speeds. A world class professional sprinter running at say 30kph would cover 150 metres in about 15 seconds. A vehicle travelling at ten times that speed would take 1.5 seconds - then it has to negotiate a bend. That is what is wrong with that.

Of course, this is amazing Thailand so anything is possible. Just bribe the timekeeper to juggle the figures and that would work.

• Like 2

Since they are saying December, there won't likely be any rain on their parade, but after looking at the image of Rajamangala Stadium, I, like most other sane people, fail to see how they envision such speeds.

These are Grand Prix circuit speeds and I don't think this stadium falls into that category.............................yet?

post-9891-0-13711400-1339472978_thumb.jp

Stadium of speed.

They are, yet again, living in a dream world.

1) For cars to be anywhere near that speed in the stadium it means they will have to enter it going end to end travelling at that speed. Therefore, they will need to demolish a few buildings on the exit, and construct a new feed road onto Ram rd for them. It's a load of balls, and basically I would assume you will be treated to seeing a few of the 2010 cars spinning round in circles creating noise and smoke for the locals to take photos of and a few lucky ones (daddy'd little rich boys) to sit in and have their pictures taken.

2) They think they can build an F1 grade track and facilities for 3.5 m USD? Well, that might just cover the black money that will be flying around and perhaps the sheds. As for the race track, with F1 grade track covering etc they will not get much change out of 30b Baht assuming they do not completely do it on the cheap. F1 is not a sport for half bankrupt piss pot countries like Thailand; it costs significant amounts of cash to get very little in return except prestige. Thailand can not afford it which of course means they will do it, half arsedly, and then when the crumbling track (built by the same boys that built Rama 9) is complete, realise it does not pass the standard, get told there is no race there, and the Hiso jerkoffs who asked their daddies to get F1 in Thailand will then use it to kill each other in their sports cars daddy bought them (not all bad then).

Bernie is a businessman. He will take their money for events like the stadium one. But when it comes to the main deal, he will not send F1 to a shit house track in a country that can not pay or support it. He will have in the back of his mind all along the amount of other businesses in the world still owed significant sums of cash that will never get paid. He's a Billionaire. He's not stupid. funny that....

\

Your last paragraph sums up the whole thing in a perfect nutshell.

I am sure Thaksin with his billions and Khun Chalerm Yoovidhya might think it's do able, Bernie might not agree, and he's been around the block a few times as you know.

F1 in Thailand by 2014.

High speed rail to Chiang Mai by 2018.

Thai restaurant on the moon 2024.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

>>"The cost of building a new F1 venue to accommodate 100,000 spectators will be about Bt100 million. We need to finalise the budget before we propose it to the cabinet. We expect the overall budget for hosting an F1 race to be around Bt5 billion," said Kanokphand.

That seems awful cheap to build a world class F1 circuit at only 3.5 million USD. What's the other 190 million USD going to be spent on? Someone better recheck those figures!

That is probably only the Tea Money, better to get these things clear from the start .....

they could have it like monaco, through the streets, LMFAO, that would be entertaining,

I heard that's the plan, actually.

Improve a few big roads in Bkk and done, more fun for the viewers, and much cheaper to build. See night race in Singapore. Late night would work for TV times and also less impact on traffic. Red Bull know what they're doing & I am not talking about Mr Chalerm even though he'll be in the limelight...

they could have it like monaco, through the streets, LMFAO, that would be entertaining,

I heard that's the plan, actually.

Improve a few big roads in Bkk and done, more fun for the viewers, and much cheaper to build. See night race in Singapore. Late night would work for TV times and also less impact on traffic. Red Bull know what they're doing & I am not talking about Mr Chalerm even though he'll be in the limelight...

To which Red Bull are you referring, Austria or Thailand?

Whilst it would be nice to see a GP in the land of Prince Bira instead of another in the desert there are two quotes that make you wonder how much of a pipe dream this is.

200-300 kmph around Rajamala stadium and even more incredulously a race track with facilities for 100,000 spectators which would cost 100million baht?

Can't see Bernie putting up with all those discarded stand up toilets, can you?

What's wrong with that?

I don't think that the course within the stadium will be long enough to reach speeds of 300km/h and safely slow down again to get around the corner. I'm just guessing, though, since I've never been in that stadium.

Huge infrastucture investment would be required for cars with a road clearance in millimetres to go through the streets of Bangkok. They are in cloud cookoo land. A veritable hub of bullshit.

• Like 1

The new track in India was estimated at US$215 million and the one to be built in Texas is about US$250 million. Think they are just a bit off on their estimates.

Ah, but have you seen the quality of the ready mix concrete here?

jb1

What's wrong with that?

I don't think that the course within the stadium will be long enough to reach speeds of 300km/h and safely slow down again to get around the corner. I'm just guessing, though, since I've never been in that stadium.

Surely that would very much depend on the cars that they use? I have not seen a Race of champions recently. So don't know what they are using? In the 60s they used f1 cars. Whatever though I would have thought the cars used for for an event such as that would be quite capable of achieving speeds of 200kph (124mph) and slowing safely, 300kph (186 mph) might be a bit hairy though. But still should be achievable. Especially when F1s are capable of 0 - 100 mph & stop in around 5-6 sec?

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

IF it is ever held in bkk , my money says the death toll on bkk roads increases by around 10% for the following month , mostly due to thick hi-so kids racing in daddy's 16th birthday present copying schummacher,....and any survivors ''doing one'' to protect daddy's no claims bonus , ......this i am well informed is the reason these clowns do a runner, if they stay at the crime/acident scene the insurance company will have to pay out more comp to the victims .............so at least i am now aware why this irrisponsable antic happens, its what the insurance rep advises .sad.png .......pathetic !

Edited by osiboy
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

They're still talking about a GP in 2014, a night race on a street circuit, complete with food vendors, beggars and soi dogs. (I made the last bit up.)

From the Press Association

Bangkok could stage F1 street race

(UKPA) – 1 day ago

A grand prix in Thailand is on the cards from 2014 as an agreement is understood to have been reached in principle for a race to be run around the streets of Bangkok.

The news has been confirmed by Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, who along with an advisor to billionaire Red Bull owner Chalerm Yoovidhya met Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone over the weekend at the Singapore Grand Prix.

Speaking to the Bangkok Post, Chulakasem said: "It will be a city race like that in Singapore and Monaco, and it will be a night race like the Singapore Grand Prix." However, a sanctioning fee and contract have still to be agreed.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa claims the government would likely pay 60 per cent of the annual fee, with the remainder to come from private companies such as Red Bull and Singha.

Copyright © 2012 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

They're still talking about a GP in 2014, a night race on a street circuit, complete with food vendors, beggars and soi dogs. (I made the last bit up.)

From the Press Association

Bangkok could stage F1 street race

(UKPA) – 1 day ago

A grand prix in Thailand is on the cards from 2014 as an agreement is understood to have been reached in principle for a race to be run around the streets of Bangkok.

The news has been confirmed by Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, who along with an advisor to billionaire Red Bull owner Chalerm Yoovidhya met Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone over the weekend at the Singapore Grand Prix.

Speaking to the Bangkok Post, Chulakasem said: "It will be a city race like that in Singapore and Monaco, and it will be a night race like the Singapore Grand Prix." However, a sanctioning fee and contract have still to be agreed.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa claims the government would likely pay 60 per cent of the annual fee, with the remainder to come from private companies such as Red Bull and Singha.

Copyright © 2012 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

"who along with an advisor to billionaire Red Bull owner Chalerm Yoovidhya met Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone over the weekend at the Singapore Grand Prix."

I am sure the advisor to K.Chalerm advised old Bernie that speeds up to 200 kph were apparently reported by the papers by a driver of a Ferrari on Sukumvit Road a week or two ago, so there's a possibility that 200 can be achieved in Raj stadium.

Wouldn't be surprised if the son of Chalerm is invited to meet Vettel & Schumi, who knows he might even get a position with Red Bull Racing Team even if it is just polishing his wheels..

F1 in Thailand? Not before a Thai reports from the moon.