Wood Chipper

Ewamoon

Has anyone seem a home garden use wood chipper for sale? I have done some searcing and can only find large "wood smashers". I suppose they are used for making wood pellets and products such as this. I need something large enough to handle palm frawns (sp) and other small diameter limbs, thanks.

Hi Ewamoon

My reply shall not be of any help in finding a suitable wood chipper. Years ago in my homeland I purchased what I would describe as an oversized domestic chipper -- designed to accept trees/branches up to 4 inches in diameter -- which it did pretty well.

Palm fronds were en entirely different matter -- the chipper could not handle them at all! The fibrous nature of the fronds used to jam the "blades" of the chipper constantly. By feeding a mixture of branches along with a few fronds I could get some throughput-- but it was slow and inefficient.

So unless there is now a chipper with a different chopping / cutting style -- my experience leads me to believe that palm fronds are a "no-no'

In the process of buying a machine at the moment. Handles all sorts of biomass and a range of screen screens. Cuts in two stages, rough chip for the heavy stuff, then hammermill down to a 1mm screen if you want. 500Kg an hour 11KW Diesel electric start. About 1,300 USD.

In the process of buying a machine at the moment. Handles all sorts of biomass and a range of screen screens. Cuts in two stages, rough chip for the heavy stuff, then hammermill down to a 1mm screen if you want. 500Kg an hour 11KW Diesel electric start. About 1,300 USD.

IA At that price you oughta buy half a dozen and resell,a 10hp Kubota hand start stationary diesel is about $1300us.

IA At that price you oughta buy half a dozen and resell,a 10hp Kubota hand start stationary diesel is about $1300us.

Well Oz, there is a deal in it, so I am not revealing sources but if anyone wants a piece of the action I can see what I can do. Cannot guarantee the price will be quite so good.

Well Oz, there is a deal in it, so I am not revealing sources but if anyone wants a piece of the action I can see what I can do. Cannot guarantee the price will be quite so good.

And just when I thought the deal was pretty good, it got better. Fan and Cyclone included as well.

And just when I thought the deal was pretty good, it got better. Fan and Cyclone included as well.

Good on ya mate ,just like striking Tattslotto.thumbsup.gif

Tattslotto, wow, now that was a while ago. I am pretty happy with this deal and the few returned favours that made it possible. The thing is rated to take up to 8" logs but that aint gonna happen with mine.

As a matter of interest the pellet maker is powered with another diesel. Talked about using one motor between th two but as the pellet mill uses a small electric motor anyway, and at that price I went for the second one as well.

You might want to look at my comments on a chipper that I bought and then got returned.

Pond Life is still struggling with his.

Did some time ago. Thanks but this is a long time happening deal and the machine is not a toy. This is a 22HP diesel powered chipper as well as a hammermill that lets me grind down below 1mm particle sizes. It has a suction fan and cyclone attached. I am buying 5 different sized screens as part of the package. Again, having been bitten before as well, thanks for the warning.

• 1 month later...