New Kiss Restaurant Jomtien/Rompo Market

Darrel

Anyone who has followed the slow progress of the renovation work over the last few months will be aware that this place seems very close to being open.

I'm just wondering to what extent is it the same owner/management as the Soi Diana one?

The opening hours are the same (24/7) but the general decor and pictures of the dishes seem to be different. They have started putting prices on the pictures and those seem lower than at 2nd Rd also.

I'm not a fan at all of the 2nd Rd branch (only ever went once and that was enough) but I am curious about the Jomtien one and the effect it may have on the many other smaller food stalls and vendors. I eat in that area at least once a day, sometimes twice and I think one can get a very nice meal there for a reasonable price.

I hope they have their yellow curry on the menu at this new Kiss Restaurant. That's weird that it isn't the same menu. I wonder what that's about? Maybe some kind of partnership with the old owners of Moo Party Restaurant?

Edited by Jingthing

I won't go there until Jingthing has posted a review biggrin.png

I too won't go until someones has posted a review and even then I may not go if it's under same ownership, up to now though OP not a fan of 2nd road one, so it seems seasia post 4 and me post 5, last time I went slow service, staff ignorant and I class it as a 24/7 fast food cafe in a noisy traffic polluted location with street hawks and beggars loitering around, oh and never mentioned people walking or staggering drunk along 2nd road staring at you whilst you eat your food.

Perish the thought of ever eating there again.

There is also a KISS food restaurant on Soi Siam Country club. It's 24/7 and has the same menu as the Soi Diana location. Pretty sure the pricing is come to same but haven't checked prices at soi diana locale for long time. The decor and pictures of food inside all looks the same as well.

Only elites post in our forum. Being such, naturally they will disparage Kiss, which doesn't cater to our fine TV carriage trade.

But Kiss does great business on 2nd Road, crowded most of the day in all seasons.

So is Walking Street and McDonalds, and I never frequent those either. Or Starbucks or several hundred other places that charge a lot and provide little in return.

There's nothing elitist about that though; it's just common sense.

• Like 1

Only elites post in our forum. Being such, naturally they will disparage Kiss, which doesn't cater to our fine TV carriage trade.

But Kiss does great business on 2nd Road, crowded most of the day in all seasons.

So is Walking Street and McDonalds, and I never frequent those either. Or Starbucks or several hundred other places that charge a lot and provide little in return.

There's nothing elitist about that though; it's just common sense.

No, it's merely Darrel's sense, hardly synonymous with common sense. I know this is hard to conceive, but everything really isn't all about YOU. Now, if you have an educated sense about your health, which then becomes common sense, then you'll seldom eat at restaurants or food stalls anyway.

My point is that Kiss serves a large market who obviously do perceive value that you don't. This new outlet in Jomtien will probably do quite well despite the sneering here. Not that I care one way or the other, but it's good to have perspective.

• Like 1

My point is that Kiss serves a large market who obviously do perceive value that you don't.

I doubt that the people who frequent Kiss perceive much of anything at all, just like those who frequent Walking Street and McDonalds etc. They are of course free to do so and I'm glad that they like it but I know better, thankfully, and so I wont be joining them.

As for eating in restaurants not being healthy, that rather depends on what you eat when you are there. I don't think my health is any of your business anyway, and it certainly isn't relevant to the topic. Start another thread in the health section if you like.

And as for everything not being about me, my comments are indeed entirely about my opinions; whose opinions would you expect me to have? Take my comments or leave them as you wish, read them or ignore them, agree or disagree; it doesn't bother me one jot either way. But don't tell me not to have my own opinions or expect me to speak for others as that is their job not mine.

• Like 2

I have no problem with Kiss. They're open late and most places aren't. I wouldn't make a special trip.

The one on Soi CC is never busy and super convenient for those on the darkside wanting some thai food in the wee hours. Not someplace I would go regularly but when I go there I know what to expect and the green chicken curry is just fine by me.

But Kiss does great business on 2nd Road, crowded most of the day in all seasons. A lot of tourists obviously like Kiss well enough. I still stop by there sometimes for a quick bite. Took Lae Dee at Foodland beats Kiss hands down, with somewhat higher prices, but the location isn't so convenient.

With Kiss you might be lucky enough to get service. But best just to go there expecting that you won't get any. Find a seat, go get your own menu, wave down a waitress and order, ask for the check w/ the food, and go to the cashier and pay your bill. I can do that, no problem; I know I'm not at Mantra. You need pampering, Kiss ain't for you.

Many tourists may like kiss or maybe they go in once and never go back, I don't know the answer to that but maybe you do, or maybe you don't

What I do know though is that I know many expats, regular visitors or long term who wouldnt eat at kiss 2nd road, and me personally would not let my dog eat there.

It's all about preference and taste and service to me,some people though are not as bothered as I or others may be but at the end of the day I'm not bothered how they feel, up to them and if they enjoy then fine also.

You have your views I have mine but let me assure you I am not elite, I don't need pampering but I do expect reasonable service and politeness which on my last visit to kiss I got neither.

I no longer go there and never will.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

But Kiss does great business on 2nd Road, crowded most of the day in all seasons. A lot of tourists obviously like Kiss well enough. I still stop by there sometimes for a quick bite. Took Lae Dee at Foodland beats Kiss hands down, with somewhat higher prices, but the location isn't so convenient.

With Kiss you might be lucky enough to get service. But best just to go there expecting that you won't get any. Find a seat, go get your own menu, wave down a waitress and order, ask for the check w/ the food, and go to the cashier and pay your bill. I can do that, no problem; I know I'm not at Mantra. You need pampering, Kiss ain't for you.

Yes, it's packed, but not with return customers.

Kiss on 2nd road is cheap, but the tastes cheap too, it is just not tasty and quality leaves much to be desired.

Before calling me elite - I love eating at the hole in the wall on soi buakhow and from the carts at rompo market.

• Like 2

I wouldn't put Kiss on my list of must do local Thai restaurants. The times I have eaten there have been late at night after a movie at the Avenue when I feel like Thai food and nothing else is open. Below average pad krapow which is how I often judge the overall quality of a basic Thai restaurant. I think their yellow curry is OK and cheap, so no complaints on that. I haven't found the service all that bad but have had an overcharging attempt or two there. I will definitely give the Jomtien location a try mainly because I used to like Moo Party in the same location and I shop there and sometimes feel like Thai food before shopping.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I gave the a few chances. They are not nice, play games with the bill or change, allow rude vendors to pester you between every bite.

I just don't like to eat at places where I want to throw my plate of food at some jerk.

• Like 1

What I like about Kiss Restaurants (2nd RD across from Mike's and Dolphin locations) is: clean, basic area for eating; reasonable pricing; predictable taste (cashew chicken and padthai is always the same); usually (unless busy season) good service.

• 2 weeks later...

It's now open, if anyone feels hungry at 3am.

Quite a few people eating in there at lunchtime today. I wanted to look at the menu outside but it was 100% Russian. Not one word of English or Thai. ermm.gif

Quite a few people eating in there at lunchtime today. I wanted to look at the menu outside but it was 100% Russian. Not one word of English or Thai. ermm.gif

Look at the bright side. Maybe they have Borscht Tom Yum .... w00t.gif

If catering for the Russians, there will be constant food complaints, arguments over bills and definitely NO tipping so the staff will be even less attentive and more surly than the other outlets.

However, since the menu may have been 'tweaked' for Russian tastes and priced accordingly, they may have got themselves a winner.

Edited by NanLaew

I eat at the soi siam country club road every so often.

Service ok'ish, and they have a few dishes quite acceptable. Yellow curry being one of them.

They also have a lot crappy ones though.

Still, if you know the good ones, it's a cheap convenient 24h eatery...

And knowing the owners, they couldn't care less about customers complaining, they're making a killing as it is, have been doing so for close to 20 years!

In their eyes, pushing through changes sees a bigger chance of making things worse revenue wise, compared to making them better...

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

I look forward with eager anticipation to sample their Russian-tainted Thai food stylings ... bah.gif

Yeah, really, I'll try their yellow curry, if they have it. That I can compare directly to Soi Diana and see if it's really any different.

Edited by Jingthing

I dont think that the menu has been "tweaked" to suit Russian tastes as everything I saw on the wall pictures seemed to be the usual Thai/International things one sees everywhere. Not sure to what extent it resembles the menu at other Kiss branches though. It may be that there were English copies of the menu inside, but they just didnt happen to be on display outside. Prices were about 50% higher than the same items from the market stalls. 60B for pad thai, 160B for a pork chop. 250B for one grilled snapper (fish) seemed very expensive to me. I pay that for an entire BBQ buffet of very good ingredients (including decent-sized prawns and, amazingly, scallops) at the place opposite the Sportsman.

The old "Mr Moo" place that Kiss now occupies was always pretty busy with Russians and also retired Germans/Scandinavians (the latter often sitting around for hours on end nursing one beer), and I would expect the same clientèle to be attracted to the new place. Though the new Kiss management may be prodding the Germans/Scandinavians to refresh their beer more often. We shall see.

• Like 1

Unlike the other two branches this one is not open 24 hours.

Really? I recall for a while they had a sign up saying they were going to be. I didn't see the point in that location. I was also a regular at Mr. Moo. Convenient to the market. Edited by Jingthing

I look forward with eager anticipation to sample their Russian-tainted Thai food stylings ... bah.gif

Yeah, really, I'll try their yellow curry, if they have it. That I can compare directly to Soi Diana and see if it's really any different.

Tried their yellow curry chicken 2 days ago; it was the first dish I wanted to try there. For 75 baht, I got a small bag (ordered: to go) of yellow curry with a good amount of sliced, white meat chicken & 6 or 7 small potato chunks in a medium-spicy sauce. Because the sauce was in balance & tasty, I liked it ok. But for the price, I would have enjoyed it more if there were a few vegetables included and a thickened sauce. Report ends.

cool.png

Edit: Added photo.

post-72929-0-36414400-1340598388_thumb.j

Edited by Michaelaway

Unlike the other two branches this one is not open 24 hours.

Really? I recall for a while they had a sign up saying they were going to be. I didn't see the point in that location. I was also a regular at Mr. Moo. Convenient to the market.

Well, they were closed ast night. I don't think it makes much sense for them to stay open 24 hours either as

there just aren't that many tourists or customers around,