Bringing Nice Watches To Thailand

eaglelex

It depends on how they are brought in. If you are moving your household, and included the watch collection, I think it is free of tax for a period of time and based also on your visa type. Someone else can probably clarify that, or do a search on moving household.

If you bring them in luggage, you might have a problem depending on how many watches you have. 1 on your wrist, and a few others stashed in carryon and checked, probably not a problem. A box stuffed with 30 watches, is going to be a problem.

If it is truly a valuable collection, I would leave them at home with someone you trust. Maybe pick one or two pieces you like to wear, and bring those.

FYI. If you come in late, say around 1 a.m. (my experience in Phuket) they don’t bother much with you or your stuff.

I’m a bit of a watch guy. Would love to know what you have.wai.gif

If I were bringing in a watch collection I would put the watches on your body (like wear 30 watches or whatever) rather than put them in a bag that is subject to the x-ray machine. Thai customs very well could tax you for a large collection. If it is just one watch it's not a big deal. I always wear my Rolex submariner and have never had a problem with customs. (Who knows they may think it is fake.)

If I were bringing in a watch collection I would put the watches on your body (like wear 30 watches or whatever) rather than put them in a bag that is subject to the x-ray machine. Thai customs very well could tax you for a large collection. If it is just one watch it's not a big deal. I always wear my Rolex submariner and have never had a problem with customs. (Who knows they may think it is fake.)

How do you pass the detector with 30 watches? blink.png

post-49205-0-17657600-1339729790_thumb.j

I'm an avid watch collector, so when I moved from Oz to LOS I brought about 20 watches with me. Some I carried in my hand luggage and the rest were in my suitcase. I didn't declare the watches because as far as I was concerned they were for personal use and not resale. I've never been asked to open a bag in more than 10 trips in and out of Thailand. Since I've been here I've bought another 20 watches off Ebay and only had to pay duty on two because the seller declared the full value of the watches on the customs form. Duty was 500 baht on a $150 watch, so didn't hurt too much.

The last thing you want to do is try and conceal the watches like that, it's just asking for trouble. Just mix them in with clothing and your hand luggage. I wouldn't have the watches (you don't say how many) in original boxes or a display case, that may look as you are going to sell them.

Edited by giddyup

Like I would put them on, take them out of the bags on the last customs stage before you exit the airport (not talking about the metal detectors before you enter the airport). Like you know the guys with the x ray machines right before you exit the airport before heading to the area where you can catch a taxi.

I just would not want to have them x ray like 30 watches.

I guess there is an alternative...involves condoms and anal lube...but I don't think anyone likes watches THAT much.

Edited by submaniac

Like I would put them on, take them out of the bags on the last customs stage before you exit the airport (not talking about the metal detectors before you enter the airport). Like you know the guys with the x ray machines right before you exit the airport before heading to the area where you can catch a taxi.

I guess there is an alternative...involves condoms and anal lube...but I don't think anyone likes watches THAT much.

Especially with case sizes getting larger all the time.laugh.pngpost-123755-0-03328600-1339732794_thumb.

Like I said, split them up, some in hand luggage, some in suitcase. How often do you ever get searched coming into Thailand? Never happened to me once yet.

Like I said, split them up, some in hand luggage, some in suitcase. How often do you ever get searched coming into Thailand? Never happened to me once yet.

Funny...customs (the guys at the exit, not the folks who do it before I enter the airport) runs my luggage all the time. I would say I get my luggage examined 3 out of 4 tims. That's why my watch is always being worn when going through customs.

Funny...customs (the guys at the exit, not the folks who do it before I enter the airport) runs my luggage all the time. I would say I get my luggage examined 3 out of 4 tims. That's why my watch is always being worn when going through customs.

Is it the dreadlocks and the Bob Marley T Shirt?

This has to be the absolute worst piece of advice i have read in 8 years on this forum.

Good grief.

This has to be the absolute worst piece of advice i have read in 8 years on this forum.

Good grief.

I agree. Could be charged with a serious offence.

Or, like, the habit of, like, speaking like this? Like.

Edited by bendix

especially when you have to drop them in the tray outbound

Or, like, the habit of, like, speaking like this? Like.

putting an expensive watch in your suitcase is just plain stupid

Edited by tinfoilhat

just real quick (and not because i agree with it... but) 18k for a service is about 580 US dollars. thats cheap in US. its at least 700 US here.

ok guys heres the deal. her and i enjoy watches. some i keep forever some i wear a little get tired of and sell. but its not a job by any means. just sell one to fund a new one or whatever. here is what i currently have. (for those who asked or care to know) its nothing crazy.

1- Rolex sub no date

1- Rolex GMTIIC

1- Breitling Super Avenger

1- Panerai 112

1- Marathon SAR (i doubt anyone knows what that is)

and some gshocks

she has a chanel J12 and a panerai 111 and a gshock or two.

obviously we wouldnt wear more than one on a visit over.... and i typically try to wear something more understated than ROLEX. everyone knows what those are. but i guess you are saying if i brought those in my luggage when/if we move to LOS i should be fine....?

hows the watch market there? anyone making any spare cash buy grabbing a few in the us and then selling? you know just a little change to use on your personal collection?

thanks and good to hear from some guys who are watch geeks like me! best of health to you all.

also i toyed with the idea of selling off all but a couple because who needs to be retired in LOS and have 6 or more nice watches around??? something tells me thats dumb. maybe sell them all but gshocks and one rolex and then use that cash to pick up and Audemars or something. ok im officially a nerd.

• Like 1

tinfoilhat

Instead of calling other peoples advice stupid, why don't you try some helpful advice of your own. In all the time I've been travelling I have NEVER had anything stolen from hold luggage on a plane. I have a securely locked suitcase and if I was really worried I could get it shrink wrapped as well. Of course nothing is 100% foolproof, but my watches are probably more at risk of being stolen from my house here in Thailand.

tinfoilhat

Instead of calling other peoples advice stupid, why don't you try some helpful advice of your own. In all the time I've been travelling I have NEVER had anything stolen from hold luggage on a plane. I have a securely locked suitcase and if I was really worried I could get it shrink wrapped as well. Of course nothing is 100% foolproof, but my watches are probably more at risk of being stolen from my house here in Thailand.

I called your suggestion stupid because it is stupid. Even the airlines tell you they are not responsible for any valuables in your luggage.

lets say for argument sake each watch is worth 5k US (and he said several)

would you travel with 5k cash in your suitcase? More? If the answer is yes, you are clearly a moron.

do you really believe a layer of saran wrap is going to deter a dedicated thief who just saw 5 watches pop up on the radar as your bag passed.

I have never had my luggage robbed either, but then if it was, i wouldn't lose much because my valuables are in my carry on -- as the airlines recommend.

but i defer, your advice is sound, it never happens

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rolex+stolen+from+luggage

My advice, which should be obvious, is travel with them in your carry on, but carry reciepts which prove that they are yours and legit.

people travel with jewelery all the time.

your bag will be x-rayed at the point of departure, should anything go wrong, you can prove you own them, and worst case can turn around and take them home if you really need to.

the chances of your being stopped in Thailand are slim, very slim.

Edited by tinfoilhat

tinfoilhat

I called your suggestion stupid because it is stupid. Even the airlines tell you they are not responsible for any valuables in your luggage.

would you travel with 5k cash in your suitcase? More? If the answer is yes, you are clearly a moron.

do you really believe a layer of saran wrap is going to deter a dedicated thief who just saw 5 watches pop up on the radar as your bag passed.

I have never had my luggage robbed either, but then if it was, i wouldn't lose much because my valuables are in my carry on -- as the airlines recommend.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...en from luggage

My advice, which should be obvious, is travel with them in your carry on, but carry reciepts which prove that they are yours and legit.

your bag will be x-rayed at the point of departure, should anything go wrong, you can prove you own them, and worst case can turn around and take them home if you really need to.

Why not call each watch worth $20,000. He never mentioned what the value of the watches were. In my case total value was less than $2000 and I was prepared to take the risk. Of course there's always the chance that your hand luggage (containing all your watches) will be snatched from you as you leave the airport. Anything's possible. The reason I suggested splitting them up between suitcase and hand luggage was to avoid carrying 20 watches together in the one bag and having an overzealous customs official asking a lot of questions.

Edited by giddyup

tinfoilhat

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...en from luggage

Why not call each watch worth $20,000. He never mentioned what the value of the watches were. In my case total value was less than $2000 and I was prepared to take the risk. Of course there's always the chance that your hand luggage (containing all your watches) will be snatched from you as you leave the airport. Anything's possible.

fair enough, 20,000.

and you were willing to risk 2k, how does either number disprove my initial theory?

As for having your hand luggage snatched it is always a possibility, but having something snatched form your possession, and willing leaving that same item unattended of hours hardly share the same level of risk.

Anyways, i have suggested what i believe is a sensible alternative.

Edited by tinfoilhat

One in your pocket or otherwise close at hand carried aboard, one on your wrist will never be a problem.

If you're that wealthy you're popping between Thailand and home on a regular basis anyway.

Buy a good safe and have it installed in a good hidden location by a contractor brought in blindfolded from at least three provinces away. Costs a little more but worth it.

i was mainly concerned if there was any tax or hassle for bringing in some "known to be" nicer watches. obviously i would never pack any valuables besides clothing in a checked bag. i dont do that in the US. def not abroad. but all comments are welcomed as im the "new guy!" i NEED your help... you probably dont need mine. so i know my part. so thank you very much guys/gals.

of course this is in the case of if/when we move permanently. for a trip i would probably put my watches in a safe back home and wear my gshock! those things are great for travel. i probably have 30k in watches which is dumb but like i said we enjoy watches. so once staying in LOS we would lock them up or downsize to one or two nice ones and call it a day.

you guys have been great. any advice for me please feel free to private message me. esp if your from the US and you have some good advice on where to stay for a "planning" vacation. we would like to visit next year and learn as much as possible. to get a feel for if we want to move full time. i doubt we would do much flying back to the US as we wont have family to attend to here by then.

One in your pocket or otherwise close at hand carried aboard, one on your wrist will never be a problem.

If you're that wealthy you're popping between Thailand and home on a regular basis anyway.

Buy a good safe and have it installed in a good hidden location by a contractor brought in blindfolded from at least three provinces away. Costs a little more but worth it.

thats how i built and soundproofed my "playroom" . You are right, it was worth it. Sill have the contractor there too, albeit a little worse for wear.

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 2

i was mainly concerned if there was any tax or hassle for bringing in some "known to be" nicer watches. obviously i would never pack any valuables besides clothing in a checked bag. i dont do that in the US. def not abroad. but all comments are welcomed as im the "new guy!" i NEED your help... you probably dont need mine. so i know my part. so thank you very much guys/gals.

of course this is in the case of if/when we move permanently. for a trip i would probably put my watches in a safe back home and wear my gshock! those things are great for travel. i probably have 30k in watches which is dumb but like i said we enjoy watches. so once staying in LOS we would lock them up or downsize to one or two nice ones and call it a day.

you guys have been great. any advice for me please feel free to private message me. esp if your from the US and you have some good advice on where to stay for a "planning" vacation. we would like to visit next year and learn as much as possible. to get a feel for if we want to move full time. i doubt we would do much flying back to the US as we wont have family to attend to here by then.

Funny. I have several, but I wear a G-Shock too, in LOS.

• Like 1

just real quick (and not because i agree with it... but) 18k for a service is about 580 US dollars. thats cheap in US. its at least 700 US here.

ok guys heres the deal. her and i enjoy watches. some i keep forever some i wear a little get tired of and sell. but its not a job by any means. just sell one to fund a new one or whatever. here is what i currently have. (for those who asked or care to know) its nothing crazy.

1- Rolex sub no date

1- Rolex GMTIIC

1- Breitling Super Avenger

1- Panerai 112

1- Marathon SAR (i doubt anyone knows what that is)

and some gshocks

she has a chanel J12 and a panerai 111 and a gshock or two.

obviously we wouldnt wear more than one on a visit over.... and i typically try to wear something more understated than ROLEX. everyone knows what those are. but i guess you are saying if i brought those in my luggage when/if we move to LOS i should be fine....?

hows the watch market there? anyone making any spare cash buy grabbing a few in the us and then selling? you know just a little change to use on your personal collection?

thanks and good to hear from some guys who are watch geeks like me! best of health to you all.

I have a similar collection to yourself (16750 GMT, LV Sub, Lumi DJ, B-SA among others) and when i come to LOS the only watch i bring is my Marathon Navi. Like you i certainly won't wear my Rolex and the Super Avenger is far too big....and far too conspicuous with Diamond bezel, lol.

TBH, when i move there permanently later this year or early next year i'll probably sell them all and just keep the DJ to wear to the office or more formal events as well as the trusty Marathon for leasure time use.

• Like 1

@tinfoilhat the "playroom" has me intrigued for sure.

shot and shaksey - you two need to stay in touch and help me out on all the stuff i need to learn. i feel overwhelmed to be honest. you all have some great watches btw. good to have fellow WIS here to chat with. if i sell most of mine i want an AP..... there cant be many thugs who know what an AP is. c'mon man! now rolex is known worldwide. cant hardly have my collection without one of those..... its tough isnt it.

Edited by eaglelex

thats how i built and soundproofed my "playroom" . You are right, it was worth it. Sill have the contractor there too, albeit a little worse for wear.

clap2.gif

I told the guys installing my all-but-explosives-proof steel door it's a panic room against home intrusion.

I think they knew it was to keep my teeraks safe from the mother of my children though, he saw the writing on the wall. . .

. . . in blood.