Glove Stank (Cleaning Leathers / Gloves)

karlos

Following on from the 'helmet stank' thread i would like to know how you guys clean your leathers / gloves?

In the UK i never cleaned my leathers due to the low temps, but here in Thailand i would like to know what is the best way of cleaning leather gloves without drying them out??

Karl :)

Never had problems with my leather gloves stinking even after riding through the rain. Probably some hand liquid soap and water would do the trick, followed by drying with a hairdryer at low -settings.

• Like 1

Never had problems with my leather gloves stinking even after riding through the rain. Probably some hand liquid soap and water would do the trick, followed by drying with a hairdryer at low -settings.

I'll give it try, just a little concerned about drying the leather out, but something mild should do the trick. Any ideas what could be used if they do dry out??

I tried looking on youtube, but no luck.

Washed helmets and gloves today, with "Dettol anti-bacterial laundry sanitiser". To dry, I hung everything up in front of a fan. I don't really like the smell of Dettol. So next time I'll probably wash everything twice. The second time with a good smelling hydrating shower liquid. If the leather isn't soft, I'll treat it with "Vaseline, healthy hand and nail moisturizing lotion".

can you turn the gloves inside out ?

After removing the inards of helmet and putting in washing machine I leave them in direct sunlight to dry and my helmet upside down in direct sunlight to get rid of stale smells - the sun sterilises better than anything, if you can leave your helmet upside down in sunlight as often as possible

Edited by smedly

Karlos, you were reading my mind. I just washed the lining of my helmet, and was wondering what to do with my gloves. I have a leather pair and a nylon mesh/carbon fiber pair. I guess I will throw it in a bucket of soapy water and hang them to dry in the sun. Wasn't sure if there was any special way to clean them.

You'll need to condition the leather soon after it's washed on the cheap so it doesn't dry out. the cheap products at BigC, etc won't really do the job. Look for lanolin & mink oil in whatever products you use. If the leathers are cheap, an experiment should be fine - if nice Italian stuff, or something you'll be using for high speed protection, I'd spring for real, imported leather conditioner such as Meguiar's I found at Central... pretty sure. Even better, anybody find Lexol in Thailand? I haven't.

Once leather gloves start to stink its time to buy new ones IMO smile.png

Ouch, mine are only 4000km (2 months old) :S

Wash your hands much? ;)jerk.gif (That's a joke, btw)

That's pretty weird for gloves to go rancid that quick...

I think prevention is the best solution- just make sure they are thoroughly dried out after a ride and kept somewhere cool and dry.

Once leather gloves start to stink its time to buy new ones IMO smile.png

Ouch, mine are only 4000km (2 months old) :S

Wash your hands much? wink.pngjerk.gif (That's a joke, btw)

That's pretty weird for gloves to go rancid that quick...

I think prevention is the best solution- just make sure they are thoroughly dried out after a ride and kept somewhere cool and dry.

LOL :D

I think keeping them tucked away inside my helmet doesn't help the air circulate through them when unused, i'll try and keep them somewhere high and dry.

Baking Soda. Make a paste with water, work well into the material than let dry, I normally let it sit over night. Than wash as normally, dry, than rub in some beeswax from your local honey store. Someone in town told me beeswax food-safe wood polish keeps there leathers lasting for years, but I haven't tried this.

Isn't best not to let leather dry in the sun?

• 5 months later...

Even better, anybody find Lexol in Thailand? I haven't.

Nope, brought mine from the States.

BTW, if using soap (real soap as opposed to saddle soap), I think you'll find plain dish soap is best. Not something like hand sanitizer.

Another possibility I've used to good effect with shoes is a white vinegar solution (say, 20% vinegar 80% water or stronger). Soak briefly, use a soft brush (or stiff, depends on the leather) to scrub in. Cleans, deodorizes and rinses out easily. Your stuff won't smell like a salad for long.

Then, as noted above, a leather conditioner.

OK, mild soap or baking soda with water. Sounds good.

Then leather conditioner or bee wax (beeswax food-safe wood polish). Sounds good too.

I wouldn't use vaseline on gloves. May makes your gloves gets slippy. Grabbing the brake lever and it slips away... nightmare biggrin.png

I would not let it dry in sunlight or in the heat. I guess the leather will be adamant (hard?) afterwards. I would press the leather between some towels to get most water out of it. And then let it dry slowly.

Still waiting for the stank to get so nasty that i will have to wash the gloves. Will be soon... laugh.png