Thai Registered Car Into Cambodia - Done It?

mickba

Firstly, I've read the other (mostly old) topics and they seem inconclusive.

Secondly, I've been in several times by m/bike, so I know the procedures eg I know I need to have the Blue Book for the car in my name.

As a result, I also know that there is no proper Customs Office at Cham Yeam/Had Lek/Koh Kong, so they cannot issue the correct Temporary Import Permit required and will refer you to Phnom Penh if pressed. Without the Permit you are illegal and may be fined if stopped. They do have an option to issue temporary number plates for cars only and for KK Province only.

At Poipet, however, there is a proper Customs Office which will issue a Permit for up to 30 days (for a m/bike anyway) and you can then exit via Koh Kong if you wish.

I also know that there's no practicable way of getting insurance cover.

So, with all that in mind, I'd like to take my car in (via Poipet) but I don't know whether the Temporary Import Permit procedure is exactly the same for cars as for m/bikes.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have never seen any Thai registered bikes or cars in Cambodia, not even in Poipet. I only saw a couple of Thai trucks that were restricted from driving further than 10km into Cambodia just east of Poipet; all the trucks were turning into some depot there. The only cars crossing the border between Poipet and Aranyaprathet were Cambodian registered from what I've seen; however, very few of them travel more than a few km from the border and thus I've never sighted a Cambodian car in Bangkok, despite Cambodia only being 240km away.

This suggests that it may not be particularly straightforward to bring a Thai car across to Cambodia, but I'm not sure. However, I would think bringing a car across the border should be easier than a motorcycle - at the Lao border between Nong Khai and Tha Deua (for Vientiane) I have never seen any motorcycles crossing for example. Technically you would also need to fill out the usual entry/exit documentation for the car and should be in possession of a Thai car passport.

I would recommend you either consider driving across to Laos instead, where Thai cars can easily cross and are very commonly seen, or hire a car in Cambodia and drive yourself (self-drive is possible through a couple of agencies in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh) rather than attempt to bring your Thai car across. In any case, check with the Land Transport Department in Bangkok (Mo Chit) for more information if you are still keen on bringing your Thai car across. Also, remember that Cambodia drives on the right and there are few multi-lane highways so overtaking will take some getting used to. I've driven a Lao car in Thailand and it wasn't much of a problem due to the good road infrastructure in Thailand, but you're attempting to do the opposite so take care.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

This suggests that it may not be particularly straightforward to bring a Thai car across to Cambodia, but I'm not sure. However, I would think bringing a car across the border should be easier than a motorcycle - .............

Thanks for the answer.

I've been googling in the meantime and found several threads elsewhere, as well as the Agreement itself.

I've also checked the Temporary Import Permit I was given for my m/bike at Poipet. They weren't interested in it coming out via Koh Kong so I still have it.

There appears to be no distinction between cars and m/bikes, so I believe with the Blue Book and other paperwork in order I can drive in.

I'm only interested in driving my own vehicle in, not hiring and I have driven on the 'wrong' side quite a lot in RHD cars, plus I'm reasonably familiar with Cambodian roads.

Visibility for overtaking is of course a disadvantage at times.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

My experience from Sept 2012. I tried to take my Thai registered car through Poipet border crossing. I was turned back at the Customs building. The reason was that my car was right hand drive and therefore not suitable. The official wouldn't budge even when I asked if there was a 'special' permit that I might buy for cash. A friend had a little more luck at the Trat border. He was given Khmer red plates but told be could only drive nearby. He ignored this and wasn't stopped and fined. Insurance is impossible. Thai insurance doesn't cover Cambodia and you need, at least, a Cambodian driving licence and it's an annual premium.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience from Sept 2012. I tried to take my Thai registered car through Poipet border crossing. I was turned back at the Customs building. The reason was that my car was right hand drive and therefore not suitable. The official wouldn't budge even when I asked if there was a 'special' permit that I might buy for cash. A friend had a little more luck at the Trat border. He was given Khmer red plates but told be could only drive nearby. He ignored this and wasn't stopped and fined. Insurance is impossible. Thai insurance doesn't cover Cambodia and you need, at least, a Cambodian driving licence and it's an annual premium.

Thanks for letting us know your experience - looks like it's a bike only trip for me then.

Yes, they let you in at Cham Yeam, but it's supposed to be Koh Kong province only, so after that it's pot luck whether you get stopped.

A Cambodian DL is ideal (c.$35), but you are legal with an IDP to go with your Thai or Home DL.

Whatever you do, they are looking for money.