Are Farangs Not To Blame For Bringing Thai Problems Upon Themselves

arch77778

We Farangs are stupid for not learning the Thai language.I have come to the conclusion that problems highlighted on this forum is due to not being able to speak the language.(never mind lost in translation or culture,we also have a culure)We are simply too lazy or cant be bothered.Opinions will be appreciated..

• Like 1

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an insightful post, i am sure you have mastered Thai already, understood the culture and became Thaier than Thai.

If i could nominate a thread for the dumbest award of the year, yours would get my vote.

Come on Phi, be gentle with him! If we all understood the Thai language and culture then there would be no corruption, rape, murder, traffic accidents, etc.

Just like in our own countries of origin where none of these happen. Because we understand....................thumbsup.gif

What a misguided plonker!

• Like 1

I choose NOT to learn more thai as I would end up speaking my mind about all the BS that goes on here.

My lack of proficiency allows me to have a rant and no one knows what I am talking about. I can then calm down and nobody is any the wiser.

The language barrier here can be a wonderful thing

Ohhh so it is you who i see often speaking to yourself and ranting about somethingtongue.png

IMO, the main problem of the people who complain all the time is they are insecure. Their insecurity makes them aggressive. Their aggressivity creates conflict which make them even more insecure ... It's a never ending story

Nah, I blame most on "mai bpen rai".

"You know there's an infection setting into that wound in your leg. You should goto the doctor, and get some antibiotics for that" (in Thai)

"mai bpen rai"

Oh, for fuc_k sakes.... here we go again.

I choose NOT to learn more thai as I would end up speaking my mind about all the BS that goes on here.

My lack of proficiency allows me to have a rant and no one knows what I am talking about. I can then calm down and nobody is any the wiser.

Unfortunately here we can understand you ...

Our luck ... sad.png

• Like 2

How does the limited Thai language skills of Farangs in Thailand cause floods, unbearable heat, traffic jams in Bangkok, institutional corruption, regular political crises, low health & safety standards and a sub-standard education system?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Duh because if they understood us they would know we have the answers to everything!:-)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

And yet, you wonder why you have no friends.

• Like 1

Well i am very insecure, because i never know what to expect from the idiot driving next to me while talking on the phone, indicating to turn right while turning leftrolleyes.gif

And that ruin your day ? As my nephew always say "You're, like, so totally insecure man"

Well, one of the reasons i left my homecountry was that i was bored talking and listening to people..Once i learned enough Thai to understand ordinary people mentality, i gave up.

The OP has some point though, it would be fair to try to understand Thai culture and behaviour before starting to criticize.. A bit like reading the book before talking about it.

I agree that the language barrier can be a wonderful thing sometimes, and let's be honest,Thai language can be hard to learn if you are over 50 or so.

Actually it's much more effective to learn Thai, but pretend you don't when it suits you.

There's a first for everything....I actually agree with something Tommy has written smile.png

How does the limited Thai language skills of Farangs in Thailand cause floods, unbearable heat, traffic jams in Bangkok, institutional corruption, regular political crises, low health & safety standards and a sub-standard education system?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

We've failed to help the Thais appreciate the values that cricket has instilled in us.

Sadly, a thread on TV is not enough, and we should be doing more.

I feel I did my bit, by way of passive encouragement, supporting the Thai ladies team in their game against China in the 2010 Guangzhou Asian Games, although the extent to which one can eliminate corruption in a country by watching sport on television is clearly limited.

SC

• Like 1

I had to learn French at school half a century ago and was a complete failure, so in your opinion how can l now learn Thai, l tried and am still a language failure. So where do l stand in your opinion.?

I think that you are one of those that looks at stuff through your own eyes and abilities and not thinking of others abilities, sadly. sad.png

Well, one of the reasons i left my homecountry was that i was bored talking and listening to people..Once i learned enough Thai to understand ordinary people mentality, i gave up.

The OP has some point though, it would be fair to try to understand Thai culture and behaviour before starting to criticize.. A bit like reading the book before talking about it.

I agree that the language barrier can be a wonderful thing sometimes, and let's be honest,Thai language can be hard to learn if you are over 50 or so.

Thai is hard to learn even when you under 50, even more so when the locals just walk away from you if you do not speak 99% clear.

As for understanding Thai culture or behavior, i do not believe Thai themselves understand it and certainly in no hurry to share it or explain it.

Just look at the way problems are sorted in a Buddhist country, gun or a knife which is in total contradiction to Buddhism and yet its 80% or so practicing Buddhist country

Edited by phl
  • Like 2

Thai is hard to learn even when you under 50, even more so when the locals just walk away from you if you do not speak 99% clear.

As for understanding Thai culture or behavior, i do not believe Thai themselves understand it and certainly in no hurry to share it or explain it.

Just look at the way problems are sorted in a Buddhist country, gun or a knife which is in total contradiction to Buddhism and yet its 80% or so practicing Buddhist country

It looks you are quite pessimistic today.. well, it's rainy season after all ..coffee1.gif

EDIT: Duplicated quote deleted

I had to learn French at school half a century ago and was a complete failure, so in your opinion how can l now learn Thai, l tried and am still a language failure. So where do l stand in your opinion.?

I think that you are one of those that looks at stuff through your own eyes and abilities and not thinking of others abilities, sadly. sad.png

He was maybe just desperate for something he could feel superior about,and now you've pissed on that too.

We should take these threads either in good humour, so that the OP can be amongst happy and laughing people - possibly something he is short of otherwise, or as desperate cries for help from those least able to help themselves - the tragically self-rationalising...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

It looks you are quite pessimistic today.. well, it's rainy season after all ..coffee1.gif

lol, Not at all, i have been attending school for almost 4 years and would not consider my thai to be anywhere near even "good" though some will assess themselves and call it fluent :)

The rest of my post, i think is just harsh reality

He was maybe just desperate for something he could feel superior about,and now you've pissed on that too.

We should take these threads either in good humour, so that the OP can be amongst happy and laughing people - possibly something he is short of otherwise, or as desperate cries for help from those least able to help themselves - the tragically self-rationalising...

SC

Well don't tell him, sshhhhhhhhh, keep it a secret that l failed English too, and l am English. bah.gif
  • Like 1