What Happened To The Jomtien Jolly Friar?

rmicheald

Went past last night and there was a restaurant called "GOLDEN FRIAR" in the location of the old Jolly Friar... What happened???

I may be wrong and maybe I should phone a friend but,... they replaced 'Jolly' with 'Golden'....?

Is there a prize?

I would have more confidence in the previous ownership. The other factor of course with local small chains is inconsistency between locations.

Isn't Jolly Friar ownership also Lone Star BBQ. Is Lone Star BBQ also under new owners?

Edited by Jingthing

Food was awful last time in went in there, chips undercooked and cold, fish was disgusting, old, dry, like cardboard and covered in a huge amount of heavy batter.

My meal was OK. I would return.

Shame they cant turn the 45B side-salad into something spicy like somtam for the same price. That would go well with fish and chips.

AFAIK, the owner of Lone Star/Jolly Friar (the one near Buakaow) has been sold, Jolly Friar Jomtien had to be renamed because of that. Do not know if he is selling China Garden too, but I guess its likely.

AFAIK, the owner of Lone Star/Jolly Friar (the one near Buakaow) has been sold, Jolly Friar Jomtien had to be renamed because of that. Do not know if he is selling China Garden too, but I guess its likely.

I think not such good news for diners. Lonestar and Jolly Friar have been pretty good. Not a fan of China Garden though. Edited by Jingthing

I think not such good news for diners. Lonestar and Jolly Friar have been pretty good. Not a fan of China Garden though.

i was at jolly friar in Chaiapruk on friday

pretty much business as usual except the mushy peas were pretty bland and there was a number of harassed looking farangs running around, checking the tills, books etc

one assumes they will be the new owners and whilst one should not judge a book by its cover, I thought .........................

oh well , i liked it there too

I've eaten there several times since the name change - always the same tasty fish & chips, imho.

I asked the waiter about the name change - he said "different owner - not same as Pattaya", so I assumed the guy who created the original on Soi Leng-Kee had sold the Jomtien shop.

For the poster who didn't like the batter on the fish, I'd suggest trying either the breadcrumb option-- or Goose's Fish & Chips in Pattaya - on 2nd Rd. between Soi 7 & 8 on the west (beach) side.

Lone Star's sold ? Ok, from what I've heard the chef came from Bob's after that place went down, I'll give it an 85% chance of it happening again. Would be interested where he moves next, although most of the stuff from Lone Star was precooked and warmed (well what can one expect, a 24/7 BBQ pit with a limited customer base does not make sense..), was still tasty on the occasion I've been too lazy to fire up my own early in the morning.

"Apparently it's the other way around."

Huh??? - Don't understand your comment - The Jomtien branch sold the mother ship?

The Soi Leng-Kee Jolly Friar, China Garden, and Lone Star were all started by the same guy- a Brit named Ian. Jolly Friar appeared to be attracting the most business. I ate at China Garden recently and it was fairly busy. Ate only once at Lone Star - not memorable.

It wouldn't be surprising to me if he sold everything off at the right time, at a premium, after the busy season, and moved on to the next challenge. . .

Regardless of ownership shuffling or whatever, I still find the Fish & Chips at "Golden Friar" to be quite tasty and a good bargain.

...from what I've heard the chef came from Bob's after that place went down, I'll give it an 85% chance of it happening again.

"Doctors say that Nordberg has a 50/50 chance of living, though there's only a 10 percent chance of that."

Naked Gun

"Apparently it's the other way around."

Huh??? - Don't understand your comment - The Jomtien branch sold the mother ship?

As far as I know the places in Lengkee have changed hands but the one in Jomtien hasn't. I may well be wrong as I'm really only interested in what the food tastes like and how much it costs, and not who owns the place.

I also will continue to frequent the Jomtien branch because it is local to me, but if I made the effort to go all the way to Soi Lengkee it would surely be to eat something other than 100B fish and chips.

Lone Star's sold ? Ok, from what I've heard the chef came from Bob's after that place went down, I'll give it an 85% chance of it happening again. Would be interested where he moves next, although most of the stuff from Lone Star was precooked and warmed (well what can one expect, a 24/7 BBQ pit with a limited customer base does not make sense..), was still tasty on the occasion I've been too lazy to fire up my own early in the morning.

I had the chicken fried steak there and it tasted fresh to me, and took the expected amount of time to prepare. Of course that's not BBQ. I hope the place doesn't go down hill.

From what I've read on other boards, the original owner sold the original Jolly Friar on Leng Kee and the Lone Star to one person or group. This person or group may also own what used to be Le Katai, but now is named something else, though I can't remember what, due to partnership troubles. The original owner sold the Jolly Friar in Jomtien to a different group (a couple) in Jomtien, hence the need for a name change.

Edited by Jimmyd

i've been there a few times and never saw any 100 baht fish & chips. 100 baht fish, yes, and chips extra.

BTW, don't bother upgrading to the Cod. Me and a buddy tried the Cod for 200 baht and it was dry as

cardboard (freezer burn?).

i've been there a few times and never saw any 100 baht fish & chips. 100 baht fish, yes, and chips extra.

The Jomtien one definitely still does F&C for 100B. It's very clearly advertised on the large menu on the wall. I had some last week and enjoyed them (though of course the fish is warm-water Dory or similar and so not up to cold-water haddock or cod standards). They also do fish fingers and chips for the same price.

Interestingly I walked past the Lengkee one the other day and couldn't see any mention of the 100B F&C anywhere. Maybe it's now in the small print or has been discontinued by the new owners.

Discontinued apparently--it's 120 baht as the chips have changed from 40 to 60 baht for a small portion. My post above was correct about ownership if the information, purportedly by the actual owners, is correct on other boards. One guy recently bought the original Jolly Friar, The Lone Star, and the Devonshire (formerly Le Katai). Another couple bought the Golden Friar (formerly Jolly Friar Jomtien). China Garden is still owned by the original owner (for now).

Hopefully the Golden Friar will keep up the 100 baht F&C tradition.

Edited by Jimmyd

The Jomtien one definitely still does F&C for 100B. It's very clearly advertised on the large menu on the wall. I had some last week and enjoyed them (though of course the fish is warm-water Dory or similar and so not up to cold-water haddock or cod standards). They also do fish fingers and chips for the same price.

Interestingly I walked past the Lengkee one the other day and couldn't see any mention of the 100B F&C anywhere. Maybe it's now in the small print or has been discontinued by the new owners.

its still available if you ask for it, except its now 120

its still great value

huge dory and lots of fat chips