Living In Thailand

MrZM

If you had the choice of living anywhere in Thailand, where would it be!

Not interested in the women, or whatever benefits of Pattaya has to offer.

I looking for somewhere, quiet peaceful, good food, relaxation etc

Chiang Mai, without a question.

Actually, if I had my choice I'd probably go with Krabi, because I'd love to have a house on the beach. However, due to the flooding last year, and the constant barrage of massive natural disasters hitting our planet these days, I think I'll stay off the coast.

Chiang Mai is definitely worth consideration. I've lived in the NW section (the opposite side from the touristy/backpacker area) of Chiang Mai city for about 5 months now and like it. Unlike Pattaya, it is not overrun with drunken falang. The Thai people here just go about their lives and I go about mine. Cost of living is less also.

Pai, and if I could speak the lingo, Mae Hong Son.

You are not the first to mention Pai.

I know that you regard warmly Chiang Mai ... so what takes Pai to a higher level?

Also Pai is a favourite with Thai people as well.

I live in Pattaya for many years. Unfortunately it's a bit dreary here with no decent green spaces(i.e. beach).

I always liked it up in Nong Khai and Isaan. It's so peaceful there.

I've never been to Phuket or down south. I wonder if it is nicer and more livable.

I live in Pattaya for many years. Unfortunately it's a bit dreary here with no decent green spaces(i.e. beach).

I always liked it up in Nong Khai and Isaan. It's so peaceful there.

I've never been to Phuket or down south. I wonder if it is nicer and more livable.

Some would declare Nong Khai as being dreary/boring. I have always enjoyed living there and find the locals shy but exceptionally friendly.

Being so close to Lao is also an added bonus for me, I love that country. Living on the Mekong with views of Lao across the water has always been a bit special.

Pai, and if I could speak the lingo, Mae Hong Son.

You are not the first to mention Pai.

I know that you regard warmly Chiang Mai ... so what takes Pai to a higher level?

Also Pai is a favourite with Thai people as well.

I love Chiang Mai, I like Chiang Rai, but I just adore Pai and Mae Hong Son.

Chiang Mai is superb in many ways, but at heart it is still a busy, noisy city..............Chiang Rai is far smaller but it falls between two stools, the best ay to describe would be that it seems to ribbon out for miles to the north........I'm not keen on that, I like my towns to have boundaries and beyond that greenery.

Pai is an oasis, a very small place with all the amenities that we Westerners would look for, none ( what I can see anyway ) of the seedy side of Thailand, and you are surrounded with some absolutely spectacular scenery. I know you have seen villagefarangs outsanding photos of the Chiang Rai sky on his thread in the Chiang Rai forum.......could you imagine that with mountains surrounding you?? Stunning. Really, stunning.

Mae Hong Son is tiny again, and very remote. It's the kind of place you would go to live the Thai rural life while again knowing that the facilities you would look for are on hand, even if not in big numbers, and although you are remote by road, you are only a 30 minute flight from Chiang Mai, and a further one hour flight from BKK.

Ask anyone who has traveled the Mae Hong Son loop, they will tell you that area is just outstanding, absolutely, outstanding.

• Like 1

One sure way to ruing your secret little sweet spot - break the secret.

Before you know it, Pete, Dave, or Geoff will have moved next door and opened their 'Farang Bar + moto-cy hire business' and the rest will follow

• Like 1

Songkhla...

Great oceanside town without the hassles. Did not enjoy living in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai, same loud motorbikes, bars, idiotic tourists/backpackers etc.

I'll go along with that.

Tourist towns are for tourists. They become boring very quickly.

And Samila Beach is a gem!smile.png

Songkhla...

Great oceanside town without the hassles. Did not enjoy living in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai, same loud motorbikes, bars, idiotic tourists/backpackers etc.

I'll go along with that.

Haven't they got a lot of problems with Muslims in that area, bombings, shootings etc?

Pattaya off course, its nice and peaceful in my Moo Baan, yet only 10min drive down to a huge selection of good/cheap restaurants.

I can really relax here when I am home from overseas working off shore worldwide.

1-2 hour to the airport is very good for me as well.

Pattaya off course, its nice and peaceful in my Moo Baan, yet only 10min drive down to a huge selection of good/cheap restaurants.

I can really relax here when I am home from overseas working off shore worldwide.

I agree. Also has good shopping centres, movie theatres etc.

Songkhla...

I'll go along with that.

Haven't they got a lot of problems with Muslims in that area, bombings, shootings etc?

No, it's the three provinces that have the Muslims, shooting and bombs. Songkhla (the town) is quite safe.

Same, it`s nice and peaceful where I live in naklua whilst being easy to get around .