Thai Passport

I hope someone can point me in the right direction for this.

I am married to a Thai and we have a son who has just been approved as an Ozzie citizen.

The problem is organising his Thai passport. My wife has tried to get it sorted in BKK whilst waiting for her Oz visa. They have told her I have to go to the Thai Embassy in Canberra to fill out a form. Now, Canberra is a very long way from where I am which is Andamooka. It's outback Australia. I have contacted the Thai consulate in Adelaide and all they could do was sign a letter from me authorising my wife to act on our behalf. This was not satisfactory. They have no idea what form I need to fill out. Emails to the Embassy and Foreign Affairs go unanswered.

Basically, if my son doesn't get his Thai passport does that mean he will be classified as an overstay.

The Thai passport people refuse to give my wife a form to send to me and just go on about going to Canberra which is just not possible.

Anybody with any advise on how to get his passport??

Although he is Thai without a Thai passport to leave on how much grief will there be about his Aussie passport not having an entry stamp?? He was born in Thailand??

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Carl

There is no overstay problem for a child and OZ should not have a problem with no passport stamp and Birth Certificate should explain that.

For a child to obtain a passport both parents have to be present and sign the paperwork. It appears the form you used (in lieu of being there) was not accepted and they need paperwork that is probably certified by the Embassy and I very much suspect you will have to be present to do that. I would telephone the Embassy rather than rely on email (not a high priority among most Thai officials). Perhaps someone who has done the process can provide details?

The Passport Regulations from the Thai Embassy in Canberra list the following requirements for Thai children born in Australia:

REQUIREMENTS FOR NEW PASSPORT OF THAI CHILDREN BORN IN AUSTRALIA

Children born in Australia can apply for a Thai passport provided one or both parents are Thai national(s) with an existing Thai passport.

1. Thai Birth Certificate

2. Parents’ valid passports together with 1 copy of pages 1-5 of passports

3. One copy of marriage certificate of parents

4. Both parents must be present to sign the consent form; otherwise, must comply with requirement 5 below.

5. Consent form and Power-of-Attorney from parent who is not a Thai national, authorizing Thai parent to apply and obtain a Thai passport for his/her child and; in cases wherein only one parent is present at the time of application.

The requirements for a child born in Thailand must be similar. Did they say what was not satisfactory with your authorising letter?

Although he is Thai without a Thai passport to leave on how much grief will there be about his Aussie passport not having an entry stamp?? He was born in Thailand??

Your post is puzzling. I assume the last two question marks in the above quote got there by mistake, that you do know where your son was born and that he was born in Thailand.

From what you have told we know the following:

-- mother is Thai

-- child was born in Thailand

-- child just got Australian passport on the basis of his father being Australian

-- child and Thai mother are in Thailand at the moment, alien father is in Australia

Vinny’s post does not apply as such but point 5 of his quote should hopefully apply also to your situation where the absent parent is outside Thailand and the parent applying for the child’s passport is in Thailand, as is the child.

As Lopburi says, call the Embassy in Canberra to sort it out.

--------------

Maestro