Farang Size Clothes

Meisgq

Whenever I have the chance to go to a mall, I've always forgotten to take a look at the clothing section for plus-sizes. I can get to major malls like Central (rama9), Terminal 21, Emporium and Central World but only on the weekends. Before I potentially waste my time, do the typical non-trendy western stores (Gap/Levis) have jeans/pants sizes in the range of 40x30 or 40x32? I'm in the process of trying to lose weight so I can fit into more clothes here but it's going to take a while. If not, I can order from the states and have people ship but it's a hassle.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

I think both should have size 40, probably will just have to go check. I know that Gap they have only on size length 36L I think and you will have to alter them ourselves, Levis are them same but they can alter them in store for you.

Wifey gets my casuals (T's, cargo shorts and chinos) at the Export Shop in Future Park (Google for other locations), work shirts and pants tailored by a little shop in the midst of Rangsit market smile.png

Pratunam is quite central (not far from Pantip Plaza) and is a large clothes outlet where you might find what you are looking for. I would however recommend a trip to Bo Bae which is pretty much the centre of the clothing industry in Bangkok (near China Town (Yarowlat)) . They have sizes to suit about everyone and is easily accessible, ask a taxi driver. Down side, they like to sell in multiples of 3 at least, but still worth a try as the place is seriously HUGE!

Ground floor of MBK for Jeans - a few shops there selling Levi's, diesels, etc and I've seen up to 50 inch!

6th Floor MBK got some stuff Dr Zhu and another shop. It's OK, not great.

Export shops (three of them) next to Ramkhamhaeng airport link - exit it and turn right on Ram to Petchburi road and they are on the right hand side. Lots of Gap stuff in there right now. Vitally important is that they cross out the sizes and resize them themselves....wrongly. So if you ask the attendant for size 40, she will give you a pile of 38's that the shop in their wisdom has resized as 40. Ignore them, and look at the actual labels from the manufacturers. this is what takes the time.

Marks and Spencers have up to size 42 inch in most trousers and jeans. Expensive but good quality. found in most central malls now.

Forget the department stores. Even if you found something sized 40, it will be the waist of a 38, the bum of a 36, and the thighs of a 12 years old who eats sparingly and never walks anywhere.

Avoid the Sukhumvit lower numbers stall - it's all crap and falls apart after 2 weeks (just long enough for the tourists to get home).

There are about 6 export shops and XL shops around town - they all mostly keep the same stuff but it's worth trekking around as it really depends upon what they have sold and what they have left. Bloody annoying though as it never occurs to them to separate by size or style, so you have to go through EVERY shirt to find one you like in your size. Once a quarter I go shopping in these places and I put aside a weekend to do it as going through 1000 shirts to find one takes time.

Can't think of much more right now.

Wifey gets my casuals (T's, cargo shorts and chinos) at the Export Shop in Future Park (Google for other locations), work shirts and pants tailored by a little shop in the midst of Rangsit market smile.png

Crossy, the Export Shop in the Future Park mall may be the same one I've been to for clothing. As I recall, the products they carry are from closeouts from businesses in the US that are closing. The shop seems a bit small, but has a very decent selection, including plus sizes, of shirts and pants for larger farangs at prices much lower than they'd be in the US. I can't remember which floor it's on, but I think it's either one or two floors below the top floor food court area. Sound like the same place?

My wife came back from doing my 90 day report at Cheng Wattana the other day. She found a small shop in the basement shopping area that was selling export shirts. I'm size 3xl, or 17.5 " collar. Mrs JYY brought back 6 shirts for me, and paid 150bht each. The lady in the shop told her that she brings in new stock every monday, and that exchanging a shirt wasn't a problem.

Ground floor of MBK for Jeans - a few shops there selling Levi's, diesels, etc and I've seen up to 50 inch!

6th Floor MBK got some stuff Dr Zhu and another shop. It's OK, not great.

Export shops (three of them) next to Ramkhamhaeng airport link - exit it and turn right on Ram to Petchburi road and they are on the right hand side. Lots of Gap stuff in there right now. Vitally important is that they cross out the sizes and resize them themselves....wrongly. So if you ask the attendant for size 40, she will give you a pile of 38's that the shop in their wisdom has resized as 40. Ignore them, and look at the actual labels from the manufacturers. this is what takes the time.

Marks and Spencers have up to size 42 inch in most trousers and jeans. Expensive but good quality. found in most central malls now.

Forget the department stores. Even if you found something sized 40, it will be the waist of a 38, the bum of a 36, and the thighs of a 12 years old who eats sparingly and never walks anywhere.

Avoid the Sukhumvit lower numbers stall - it's all crap and falls apart after 2 weeks (just long enough for the tourists to get home).

There are about 6 export shops and XL shops around town - they all mostly keep the same stuff but it's worth trekking around as it really depends upon what they have sold and what they have left. Bloody annoying though as it never occurs to them to separate by size or style, so you have to go through EVERY shirt to find one you like in your size. Once a quarter I go shopping in these places and I put aside a weekend to do it as going through 1000 shirts to find one takes time.

Can't think of much more right now.

M&S in BKK? Pray tell where as I've never seen them smile.png

Crossy, the Export Shop in the Future Park mall may be the same one I've been to for clothing. As I recall, the products they carry are from closeouts from businesses in the US that are closing. The shop seems a bit small, but has a very decent selection, including plus sizes, of shirts and pants for larger farangs at prices much lower than they'd be in the US. I can't remember which floor it's on, but I think it's either one or two floors below the top floor food court area. Sound like the same place?

Sounds like it, but I do admit that I don't actually go often, clothes just get replaced as She Who Must be Obeyed decides they're worn out.

Sounds like it, but I do admit that I don't actually go often, clothes just get replaced as She Who Must be Obeyed decides they're worn out.

LOL! Yeah, it often works out like that for me too. My sympathetic son-in-law recommended the shop and took me there. I was very pleased with the excellent selection, great quality and low prices. I also appreciated the dressing stalls where you can try on the clothes to make sure they actually fit comfortably. I used to get clothes from elsewhere locally, mostly shirts, which are aimed more for Thais, where L or XL usually means it's an M size or smaller, or cheap quality that quickly wear out. That's fine for most Thais, but meaningless for farangs. Some other shops and dept stores I've been to elsewhere, with actual farang sizes, often tend to be vastly overpriced even by western standards. It's nice to find some decent shops with clothes that actually fit bigger guys and hold up well.

LOL! Yeah, it often works out like that for me too. My sympathetic son-in-law recommended the shop and took me there. I was very pleased with the excellent selection, great quality and low prices. I also appreciated the dressing stalls where you can try on the clothes to make sure they actually fit comfortably. I used to get clothes from elsewhere locally, mostly shirts, which are aimed more for Thais, where L or XL usually means it's an M size or smaller, or cheap quality that quickly wear out. That's fine for most Thais, but meaningless for farangs. Some other shops and dept stores I've been to elsewhere, with actual farang sizes, often tend to be vastly overpriced even by western standards. It's nice to find some decent shops with clothes that actually fit bigger guys and hold up well.

It's sad, I admit. I know the Future IT Mall but where exactly is the Future Park Mall? Is that the complex out Don Muang way? Also, where is the shop located in the mall? Many thanks in advance wai.gif

• Like 1

I aggree that their definition is totally different from ours. Last time in Bangkok MBK 6th floor good cool 2xl and 3xl shirts

It's sad, I admit. I know the Future IT Mall but where exactly is the Future Park Mall? Is that the complex out Don Muang way? Also, where is the shop located in the mall? Many thanks in advance wai.gif

As Jaiyenyen said, it's out at Rangsit, heading north of Bangkok on Viphavardi / Rangsit Rd and on the right (or east side). There are road signs pointing to it as you get closer. I can't remember exactly which level of the Mall the shop is located on, but from the food court (which is near the top), I believe it's one or two levels down from there. It's not a large store and I don't remember the name of it either, but I'll ask my son-in-law and get back to you with it. The store imports clothes that come from various stores in the US that are going out of business, moving, clearance sales, etc., so the clothes aren't screwed up or flawed seconds.

Our daughter and her family lived in the NE part of the Sai Mai district and we'd often make trips to the Mall to eat, cool off, and let the grandkids play games next to the food court. I've bought a number of shirts and Levis from there and have been very pleased with the size selection and durability. Items are arranged together in the store, making finding things easier, but like any store, you have to hunt for the right sizes that will fit you. I'm not a big guy, but big enough that the usual Thai sizes are much too small for me. They also have stalls where you can try on the clothes to make sure they fit comfortably. I don't remember any of the staff speaking English, but I don't think it makes much difference since most of it involves browsing through the merchandise.