Translations

Do not believe there is any direct charge, and very small if there is. But there is a need for witness signing so you might provide lunch money in that case. If you want to have the marriage paperwork done outside the office there is a fixed rate for that service.

You have to get it notorised at the MFA. If you're going to go there yourself, as opposed to having an agency do it for you, there are lots of places next to the MFA that will do it in 20 minutes, cost 200bt.

sierra01,

these agencies you talk of, who / where are they? And is there any advantage in using one? Taking the plunge myself soon and it would be useful to know...

There are a number of translation companies near the American Embassy on Wireless Road. The cheapest I found was 300 baht per page. Not ONLY that but I had to then take those translations to a Thai government place out near the airport to have them "legalized".

You have to get it notorised at the MFA. If you're going to go there yourself, as opposed to having an agency do it for you, there are lots of places next to the MFA that will do it in 20 minutes, cost 200bt.

sierra01,

these agencies you talk of, who / where are they? And is there any advantage in using one? Taking the plunge myself soon and it would be useful to know...

I didn't use an agency, I did it myself, so I don't really know for sure. I think the translation places will do the leg work for you, for a fee of course.

Last month at the Amphur office in Bangrak, the fee was 40bt.

We had a couple of friends as witnesses, but there are usually other people there going through the procedure so asking them to do the witness bit for you wouldn't be a problem I would have thought.

sierra01,

Personally I didnt bother with an agency - as i thought it was a waste of money when i could do it myself... after all it wasnt like i had much else to do other than neck beers by the hotel pool, having said that i know of several people that have used an agency and have had no bad reports...

You wont be needing to find them - they will find you, whether stood in the que outside the embassy or inside the compound itself... im sure you'll have a few offers from agents that will happily do the running around for you - at a cost of course - ive heard in the region of between 6-9000bt, this is give or take on the day so dont quote me.

These agents can give coaching to your mrs - if its been a shotgun wedding after a months holiday etc - again I witnessed some of these agents coaching the newly weds right up till the last moments before visa interview... i dont think this looks very good on the couple but hey... whatever!

To be honest - unless you really dont fancy doing the legwork for yourself - i wouldnt bother with them.... sure if you do everything yourself you will need to be prepared to do a bit of waiting here and there, taxis hither and tither and youre bound to get hot and bothered along the way - but all in all we got everything done - bar the UK settlement visa - done in one day - starting when the embassy opened 8:30-9am ish till actually getting married at 4pm - Baan Rak, Bangkok

all the best

Note: Im talking about the agencies that do the whole lot from marriage to visa - not just translations.

Edited by rio666uk

Hmmmm. So it's between 200 Baht + a few taxi fares, or 6-9000 Baht, plus a bar bill from twiddling your thumbs all day - no brainer. Thanks, guys.

One question though: if you DIY (affirmation from embassy - translation - notorisation from MFA, no settlement visa necessary, as we're based in Thailand) is it possible to do it all in one day?

It's just that I've read in other forums that it takes a couple of days for the notorisation.

I'm not in BKK so would have to plan a visit.

Edited by HarryHerb

Hmmmm. So it's between 200 Baht + a few taxi fares, or 6-9000 Baht, plus a bar bill from twiddling your thumbs all day - no brainer. Thanks, guys.

One question though: if you DIY (affirmation from embassy - translation - notorisation from MFA, no settlement visa necessary, as we're based in Thailand) is it possible to do it all in one day?

It's just that I've read in other forums that it takes a couple of days for the notorisation.

The affirmation from the british embassy is overnight, collection next day

see

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717516870

note opening hours

Opening Hours:

Monday - Thursday 0800-1100, 1300-1530

Friday 0800 – 1200 only

To be notorised I believe is this

There are two fees available: -

1. Baht 400 per document, and it takes up to two full days or

2. Baht 800 per document for the same day service.

Edited by Simon255

The affirmation from the british embassy is overnight, collection next day

see

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717516870

note opening hours

Opening Hours:

Monday - Thursday 0800-1100, 1300-1530

Friday 0800 – 1200 only

To be notorised I believe is this

There are two fees available: -

1. Baht 400 per document, and it takes up to two full days or

2. Baht 800 per document for the same day service.

As of last month....Affirmation is next day from the Embassy, 2625bt for a stamp and signature! Easy to collect the affirmation from the Embassy, and have it translated and notorised in one day. I wasn't given the option of 400bt for 2 day service, just 800bt and wait an hour.

I did everything, affirmation hand in and collection, translate and notorised, and got married all in 3 days!

I did everything, affirmation hand in and collection, translate and notorised, and got married all in 3 days!

Now that's what I call a whirlwind romance. (Congrats, by the way!)

Thanks for all the help, embassy link is also v useful.

:o it wasn't a whirlwind romance Harry, we've been living together since last March and 'together since August 2004!

We decided to tie the knot, and when I looked into what needed to be done it all looked straight forward, so we got it all done at the same time....so to speak.