Nam Mai Ka?

buadhai

I travel between Korat and Bangkok by bus now and then and I've noticed that the bus attendants, when offering a beverage, always say, "Nam Mai Ka", even if the beverage being offered is Pepsi.

In this case is "Nam" being used as sort of a generic term for beverage or is something else going on?

[What they say is actually closer to "nam mae ka", but I assume this is just a relaxed form of "nam mai ka"....]

I travel between Korat and Bangkok by bus now and then and I've noticed that the bus attendants, when offering a beverage, always say, "Nam Mai Ka", even if the beverage being offered is Pepsi.

In this case is "Nam" being used as sort of a generic term for beverage or is something else going on?

yup, you're right. its a generic form of "drink". they're asking would you like a drink? or what would you like to drink?

this is my understanding anyway.

Taz...

yup, you're right. its a generic form of "drink". they're asking would you like a drink? or what would you like to drink?

this is my understanding anyway.

Taz...

Nam just means a liquid.....nam man is oil....nam bpla is fish sauce....nam som is orange juice....they are just asking if you want a drink of something.

Is Nam Kaeng not ice too....?

redrus

yes - it is

kaeng meaning hard.. i believe ive heard this word used in other contexts too :o

Ha ha.... :D

Init funny how you pick things "up".... :D

redrus