Yellow Book

I am on a non 'o' marriage visa, the lease we have is in my wife's name, anyone know if this would be a hinderance to getting a yellow book? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Civil Registration Act 2008:

Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons

this is a 30 baht card

post-60884-0-89892000-1344582615_thumb.j

I am on a non 'o' marriage visa, the lease we have is in my wife's name, anyone know if this would be a hinderance to getting a yellow book? Thanks

If you are living in a rental house one the typical requirements is that the owner must give permission for you to get the house book.

Intresting fact, the following is ironic seeing as the authorities seem to make it hard for foreigners to get them, turns out they are supposed to be issuing them anyway for all this census stuff, to every farang on a non-imm visa, owner or renting:

Civil Registration Act 2008:

Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons

If you are referring to the yellow Tambien Ban; it's not difficult to obtain, you just have to follow the process. Also some people are unaware you can obtain one if you have a property rental/lease contract in your name.

please read the topics about trying to get this a lot of people have been refused

In a previous thread on the same topic it was mentioned that Amphur that have little exposure to foreigners are unaware of the Yellow Tambien Ban facility - perhaps that's why some people are having difficulties. Amphur such as Nong Prue/Banglamung (Chon Buri) regularly issue them if you are in compliance with the paperwork. Therefore the way forward, for people facing difficulties, may be to ask the local Amphur to call them to get a heads up.

Edited by simple1

I was also refused the 30 Baht card when I applied after getting my Yellow Book. The Ket stated that this program was for Thia only. It would be interesting to know where a non Thai can get the 30 Baht card.

Try going along to a local health centre or hospital with your yellow book.

When my wallet was stolen I lost my health card but when I needed some treatment the health centre got my details from the yellow book and said no charge.

I recently acquired my 'yellow book' at Amphur Chonnabot in Khon Kaen province.

You will find that Thai MFA will not accept a translation of your passport unless it has first been certified as a correct copy by your embassy! I had to have my passport copied by the embassy (British) which they then certified as being correct copy; then get the translation done, then go to MFA for certifying. You need to make sure that the transliteration of your name is the same as on the marriage cert or the amphur may reject it.

Very valid point made by previous post about transliteration of parents names into Thai; I had great fun, but fortunately they were very helpful at the amphur office and did that part for me.

The 'puyai bahn' also had to go and sign a document to say I lived at the stated address, but no other witnesses were required.

As it has already been stated, just do what you amphur says, because it won't necessarily be the same as others.

Good luck.

Swapped over where we are registered last week. While me and my kids were eligible for a 'gold card', my wife who is the foreigner on the yellow book was not eligible. That is how they interpret it in Patumwan at least.

As well, I had to get the village Puy Yai Baan to front up and acknowledge that I indeed lived at address as stated.

Same as that, no one from the Amphur seemed to know what to do and there was quite a lot of backwards and forwarding with the Tessaband. Not much problem once an ambitious career lady took on the job, her main demand was a family portrait of me wifey and Mama . She later came to the house and got me to sign the photos, then delivered the yellow book personally about 3 weeks later. Not sure what was going on

Earlier in the thread someone talked about needing a translated birth certificate because it states the parent's names, I have the translation of my Australian birth certificate which also has my parent's names on it, I'm wondering if it would suffice?

I'm an Aussie and that is the same certificate I used, that is, my birth certificate.

Edited by kevjohn

I went to the local Amphur a couple of weeks ago with a copy of my rental agreement and they would not accept it because it was made out in my partners name. They told me that i would have to get a new rental agreement made up in my name. they also told me i would need to get a photo copy of the house owners blue book and her ID card, also if i want to make it real easy then to bring along the owner of the house to vouch for me. The owner was ok on supplying the photo copies and new rental agreement. She was reticent on actualy going to the Amphur with me, but after offering her 500 baht for her time she agreed. I only have to go back to the immigration office first to get another proof of residency form because the previous one had the wrong details and i did not know it becaues it is all in Thai. Then i will be set at the Amphur.

some people are unaware you can obtain one if you have a property rental/lease contract in your name.

I was certainly unaware of that. I am unmarried, have a 30-year lease on a house. If I take the owner and his blue book (which shows the lease to me), plus my passport and some photos, you think I might I might get a yellow book? This would be the Nong Prue amphur.

Edited by mahjongguy

some people are unaware you can obtain one if you have a property rental/lease contract in your name.

I was certainly unaware of that. I am unmarried, have a 30-year lease on a house. If I take the owner and his blue book (which shows the lease to me), plus my passport and some photos, you think I might I might get a yellow book? This would be the Nong Prue amphur.

Should be fine as Nong Prue deal with many foreigners. Don't forget you will need a translation of the front page of your passport & ideally your birth certificate as they request the names of your mother & father. I didn't have a birth certificate, but they still processed the application, Took three weeks to be issued with the Yellow Book. The guy who handles the paperwork was friendly and helpful, speaks some English

I will get my Yellow Book from the Bangkok Noi District Administration next Thursday. The procedure (I'm married to a Thai) went as follows:

1. Get a copy of your passport

2. Have your embassy legalize the copy

3. Get a translation of your legalized passport copy. If you have a marriage certificate translated to Thai hand them a copy of it to minimize transliteration and spelling errors of your name.

Note: The translation must represent all items as they are on the original passport including an empty frame for the photo and the translated stamp from the embassy (all letters in Thai!), or it will be rejected by the supervisor at the MFA.

4. Get legalization of the translated passport copy from the MFA at Government Compound Chaeng Watthana.

Procedure: Express handling (same day) Proceed to 3rd floor at the MFA. At the information desk you will get a form and a number and you will be sent to the supervisor on the same floor. The supervisor will check the completed form and your passport translation. If he rejects it you have a chance to quickly (20 mins) get a correct translation downstairs (we had to). It is advisable to get it done there in the first place.

For express handling you have to be at the MFA well before 12:00. After the supervisor has signed off your completed form you ask for express handling at the information desk and you will be given a queue number for counter 1 or 2. No queue numbers for express handling will be given out after 12:00. When your number shows up you hand in the documents and pay THB 800. Then you are told to wait 3 to 4 hours.

There are two coffee shops and a simple restaurant in the basement to pass the time. Your name (no numbers here!) may be called up at any time so it is best to be back after two hours. Your legalized copy will be handed out at counter 5 or 6.

5. Get 6 (!) 0.5 inch passport photos.

6. Go to the Amphur with the photos and the following documents:

- original passport and its legalized and stamped copy

- original and copy of Thai translation of the marriage certificate

- Blue House Book and copy of the relevant pages (front page and page with wife's name in it)

- wife's ID and copy of it

The local official will fill out a form and ask your wife to sign it. You can pick up the Yellow House Book after 4 working days.

Aside note: If your favourite outfit is a sleeveless T-shirt and shorts made from worn-out jungle fatigues you might want to put on something more formal and wai the higher ranking officials, It helps.

edit: Time required: 3 days. 1st day get information on required documents at the district administration, passport photos and (useless 1st) translation, total 1hr

2nd day for embassy and MFA, total 5 hrs

3rd day for completing paperwork at the district administration, total 30 mins

Taxi transit times not included

Edited by MikeOboe57

Thank you, MikeOboe57, for this detailed report. At what amphoe in what province did you get your yellow house registration book? I am asking because requirements may vary form one amphoe to another (TIT).

Thank you, MikeOboe57, for this detailed report. At what amphoe in what province did you get your yellow house registration book? I am asking because requirements may vary form one amphoe to another (TIT).

It is the Bangkok Noi district Administration Charan Sanitwong Rd, Soi Phet Suwan.

I strongly recommend to go to the local Administration Office first and get detailed information on the required documents. This saves a lot of time and hassle.

• Like 1

Went to Pattaya City Hall to ask about getting a yellow tambien baan. The clerk gave me the list below of required documents. As I feared, it involves the need to go to the MFA in Bangkok. I don't think I'll bother going any further with this.

post-47756-0-35217200-1345445498_thumb.j

Don't go to the MFA. Have the translator do it, for a couple of hundred Baht extra.

Maybe I misread the requirement. For the passport, it seems to say "get it translated, take that to the MFA for certification".

Edited by mahjongguy

It is the Bangkok Noi district Administration Charan Sanitwong Rd, Soi Phet Suwan.

I strongly recommend to go to the local Administration Office first and get detailed information on the required documents. This saves a lot of time and hassle.

This is very good advice. I did not need any translations for my yellow book. Check with your local administration first. Every province is different

This is very good advice. I did not need any translations for my yellow book. Check with your local administration first. Every province is different

I got my yellow book today at the Bangkok Noi District Administration. I was asked for the first names of my parents which my wife then transliterated into Thai - a translation of my birth certificate would have come in handy, but the official accepted it like that. One more check of the paperwork by a supervisor and after 45 minutes we left the office with a brand new yellow book.

I can recommend the Bangkok Noi District Administration as very friendly and efficient.

I got my yellow book today at the Bangkok Noi District Administration. I was asked for the first names of my parents which my wife then transliterated into Thai - a translation of my birth certificate would have come in handy, but the official accepted it like that. One more check of the paperwork by a supervisor and after 45 minutes we left the office with a brand new yellow book.

I can recommend the Bangkok Noi District Administration as very friendly and efficient.

I was not asked for my birth certificate. They asked what my parents names were and my wife wrote down their names in Thai. I also found the staff very friendly and helpful. I live in Phayao. Yesterday we registered our baby and the staff were again very helpful. Birth certificate issued and wifes blue book updated within 15 minutes. Great service.

I still have a yellow book that was obtained when I was married and living in the house that i paid for. Now living in a different town in rented accomodation and i was wondering if the same book can be altered to my current address or is no longer acceptable now I have moved and i would have to start the whole rigmarole again to get a new book.

Thanks

BUMP??

No, the yellow book is connected to the house you are registred in. It is a record of the person (in the case of a yellow book foreigners) registered at the house the book is issued for.

A new address mean you have to move your registration to the new house, for which you need the perrmission of the house owner.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add the requirements I was told are needed here in Chiang Mai today for a Yellow book

The usual

Wife & her ID ( Copies )

Her House Book ( Original & Copies )

My Passport ( No need to be translated but copied )

But also these,

My Birth Certificate

My US Marriage Certificate Translated

My Thai Marriage Certificate/Record

My Wifes last Name Change Forms

( when she took my last name which seems odd because her house book as well as all her Thai ID's have her married last name)

But no big deal as we have copies of that name change.

3 Photos

Immigration Issued Proof of Address ( Will not accept the one from US Consulate I use to buy vehicles)

One Witness who must come with us to the Amphur

Whew ! I don't know but that seems like a lot.

Also given the fact I have Truck & Bike books I would think the immigration issued proof of address

would be skipped, Not to mention the fact I just got my 1 year based on marriage visa which at that point they verified

my address. But TIT & reading this thread some had a much easier time of it.

As it stands now after today I am not sure I will pursue it any further.

Paper work I dont mind. But like my 1 year visa to have to drag a Thai down there

& spend their time is not attractive to me.

May I ask a couple of questions for those who may know?

After all is said & done what are the Yellow Book benefits?

Is it just so I can sell my vehicles one day without going to get one from my US Consulate again?

I have read some iffy reports about the 30 baht health card but I am not interested in that.

Any other benefit to having this Yellow Book?

Lastly the condo we now own is in my wifes name because it was part of the Thai quota for our condo building.

We tried to convert but a Falang slot never comes up, understandably.

But If I should buy another condo that is within a falang quota would I automatically have a house book with my name in it then?

Thank You for any information

Edited by mania