Car Driving Training

mackes

I'm planning to practice driving with my Thai wife, anyone who knows what rules apply when driving before having driver license in Thailand.

Demand on driver and teacher and special rules apply?

Send her to a decent school. The only place where they will imprint some rules (in Thai!) in her mind, while teaching her to drive decently. In my experience, women are quite possibly second only to taxis in the realm of bad driving behavior.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I would never get in a car again with someone who doesnt know how to drive.

I was teaching this chick who I was trying to score with when I was 20, she had her learners and she always turned like its a video game, just move the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left. On one left corner she did one of those and we went onto the other side of the street and ran into the gutter. There was also a truck coming and if it was done 2 seconds later would would of been dead.

And yes, I did get some, so it wasn't a total loss.

But dam_n, never again.

Two years ago I taught my wife and was told by the authorities that there is no such thing as a learners permit. People are expected to learn in Temple or school grounds. This may answer some of the bad driving questions.

After a few lessons in back streets we ventured onto a multiple lane road (not busy). Got stopped at a checkpoint and told she cannot learn to drive on roads????? Must be some Thai logic in there somewhere.

Over the years I've taught a few people how to drive. So I applied the same methods and she became quiet good. Went for the test on the Motor Registries test track and realized I hadn't taught her to reverse for long periods (50/100m). Fortunately the instructor could tell that she was an okay student and let it slide.

The test is done in a group situation and quiet fun. But I was amazed how some students had zero idea on how to drive.

If you choose a school, be careful. The driving test is a standard test and most schools focus just on the test and nothing else. They produce people who can drive around a test circuit in a car park. But have no road skills what so ever.

End of the day my wife has become a good and confident driver

Two years ago I taught my wife and was told by the authorities that there is no such thing as a learners permit. People are expected to learn in Temple or school grounds. This may answer some of the bad driving questions.

After a few lessons in back streets we ventured onto a multiple lane road (not busy). Got stopped at a checkpoint and told she cannot learn to drive on roads????? Must be some Thai logic in there somewhere.

Over the years I've taught a few people how to drive. So I applied the same methods and she became quiet good. Went for the test on the Motor Registries test track and realized I hadn't taught her to reverse for long periods (50/100m). Fortunately the instructor could tell that she was an okay student and let it slide.

The test is done in a group situation and quiet fun. But I was amazed how some students had zero idea on how to drive.

If you choose a school, be careful. The driving test is a standard test and most schools focus just on the test and nothing else. They produce people who can drive around a test circuit in a car park. But have no road skills what so ever.

End of the day my wife has become a good and confident driver

Safe Driving school (where I studied) seems a perfect (Western-standard) school, with good emphasis both on theory and practice and behavior, albeit a bit pricey. They teach you for the test, but they also teach you to behave on the road, with extensive on-the-road training. I really do recommend them if you are around BKK.

I gave up teaching my mrs, tooooooooooooooo scary, so l paid a guy to teach her. He said ''she is very good now'', ''oh great''. Soooooooooo went out for a drive, her driving, the first bend, she went on the other side of the road w00t.gif , l said ''Get back to the left side'', she said '' why, this how l was taught'' sad.png

I gave up teaching my mrs, tooooooooooooooo scary, so l paid a guy to teach her. He said ''she is very good now'', ''oh great''. Soooooooooo went out for a drive, her driving, the first bend, she went on the other side of the road w00t.gif , l said ''Get back to the left side'', she said '' why, this how l was taught'' sad.png

Oh shit..... She did not live in Australia about 12 years ago did she? Read my post about 6 post up lol

I am lucky my wife is a pretty good driver. Well apart from hitting the front wall in the car park with my new car a few weeks ago grrrrrr