Stuck Between Thailand And Malaysia

After exiting Malaysia, the border closed on my way to Thailand, came 2minutes too late.

Waited until they opened but they refused to let me in, reason:the exit stamp from

Malaysia was from the day before.

Malaysia refusing entry now without exit stamp from thailand.

What can I do?

Talked to both sides many times.

They refuse to take any responsibility since I exited both countries.

I entered both countries today illegally, sneaking past guards to eat, and send e-mails.

Last advice I got from the Thai side was to go stealth past the border and go to Penang or Kuala Lumpur

visiting Malay immigration, they said I must cancel the exit date and recieve a new exit date.

Not even sure such a thing is possible.

I can go to the embassy and make a new passport, but I dont think it will help in this case.

Talked to both sides many times.

They refuse to take any responsibility since I exited both countries.

I entered both countries today illegally, sneaking past guards to eat, and send e-mails.

Last advice I got from the Thai side was to go stealth past the border and go to Penang or Kuala Lumpur

visiting Malay immigration, they said I must cancel the exit date and recieve a new exit date.

Not even sure such a thing is possible.

I can go to the embassy and make a new passport, but I dont think it will help in this case.

Have you called your embassy?

There are intentional rules and treaties regarding displaced(?) persons and both these countries would be on the list.

Keep a diary.

What border was this? I've never heard of such a thing as an immigration closing when they see someone coming from the other border.. How far is the distance between the two borders? Seems the officers from both sides would have seen you in no man's land upon exiting MY and not being allowed into TH.

The distance is around 400m could not see any motorbike taxis there at that time

border closed while I was walking towards them but they did not see me.

Feels like I fell in a trap.

I am in some dirty run down nowhere town right now and their internet cafe is closing....bye for now

Normally you would be send to the last country that you entered legally, in this cae Malaysia. that is at least how it works in Europe. But not sure if it is some EU regulation or international agreement.

Best to speak to a supervisor and otherwise contact your embassy for help.

What border was this? I've never heard of such a thing as an immigration closing when they see someone coming from the other border.. How far is the distance between the two borders? Seems the officers from both sides would have seen you in no man's land upon exiting MY and not being allowed into TH.

Happened to me a long time agowhile I was traveling to Stung Treng. Exited Laos, but the Cambodians said they were closed and directed me to their over priced lodge at the border. Next morning they refused me entry on the ground that I exited Laos the previous evening. I pointed the fact to them that they said they were closed the previous evening and that we all slept and ate at the same lodge. They told me to go back to Laos to get a new stamp but I pleaded with them and they asked me to wait outside. Half an hour later, I was called into their office and asked to hand over $ for an entry stamp.

No advice for the OP, but I had a similar issue a number of years back at the Betong border crossing.

At that time the Thai immigration office was in town, maybe about 4/5 miles from the border. By the time I reached the office they had closed for the day, so no entry stamp. However, there was no issue with turning up the next day - I was returning to Malaysia after a night in Betong - and getting both an entry (can't recall if it was dated the previous day) and exit stamp. No extra payment needed (as I recall, there was a standard 'processing fee' of Bt20 applied on the Thai side).

Subsequently the Thais opened an immigration check point at the border, but still out of view of the Malaysian check point. Transport in this no-mans land was no problems as both sets of taxis could operate in this area.

Betong was well worth the effort..........!

This sounds like the Thai/Malaysian border at Sadao which is about 500metres apart and has Thai motorcycle taxis servicing it.

I was warned about such an eventuality as the OP describes years ago -because I used to walk between the borders rather than take the motorcycle taxi when doing a border run from Hat Yai - but thought it was an urban legend.

Sounds like Sadao border. I had a similar issue and had to go back and forth several times before I could get someone (from the Thai immigration) writte on a full page of my passport that there was a mistake on the stamps blablabl...

To my experience, the Thai immigration in Sadao is much more helpfull and understanding than the malaysian side (not very friendly).

Anyhow, If this is Sadao and you can't get any answers, I would go to Hat Yai as the border is "open" and you can enter both countries without someone asking you anything and call the immigration hotline (seems that there are plenty of numbers to find on the Net).

If really the immigration buro doesn't want to listen to anything at the border (given it is Sadao) you could in the worst case you could go to the immigration buro in Hat Yai which is very friendly and helpful (hoping they won't charge you with enetering illigaly the kingdom).

sounds like a land crossing version of the movie "The Terminal"...OP should stay put, set up facebook page, contact international media and watch the donations and movie offers role in.....I can see Tom Hanks playing him in the movie.....stardom awaits!

• Like 2

The distance is around 400m could not see any motorbike taxis there at that time

border closed while I was walking towards them but they did not see me.

Feels like I fell in a trap.

I am in some dirty run down nowhere town right now and their internet cafe is closing....bye for now

Are you still there?