Best Cinema In Town ?

yoslim

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I prefer The Avenue. The place is rarely if ever crowded. I also tend to stay out of the theater until the previews and commercials end. Of course if the place were packed I would get in and sit down so I would not bother the other patrons.

600 baht for a VIP seat? Sounds nice but... Ouch!

Oh, for people who do not know - There are Android Apps for movie goers in Thailand

Major Movie Plus

SF Showtimes in Hand

They seem to be well laid out so if you are on the go and need to know, these Apps could help. Enjoy the show.

I went to central to see Expendables 2, it was flippin freezing, so cold it actually took the attraction off the screen to the fact it was so cold. I have a few kilo's of extra padding but for a 46kg skin and bones friend it was uncomforatbaly cold. Dont know why they do it must cost loads more money on electric. Cold enough to put me off going back there.

VIP screen at central

600 baht a seat...

It used to be 500 baht then 600 but I paid 700 baht last time I went a few months back.

Free popcorn and drink plus free drink and nibbles before you go in.

Once you go VIP hard to go back to normal seating.

Yes, I like the Avenue since it isn't crowded and the seats are comfortable. At Central, the theaters are busier with crying kids, families feasting away with their snacks, and someone seated right next to you. The Avenue is great for the single fellow who wants space. Central is great for teenagers and families. The strange thing about the Avenue is that the Asians will prefer to sit next to someone; whereas the Westerner purposely selects a seat that is NOT next to someone. So though I select a seat with no one beside me before hand, I end up with someone munching away on their popcorn or talking on their cell phone though there will be rows and rows of empty seats. I just get up and go to another seat and hope he/she can handle being in isolation.

You mean which is the best fridge with a big screen..

Seriously, if you think these cinemas are too cold you need to do something about your circulation. I watched another movie tonight in tank top and shorts and was very comfortable. Minimum temp reached during a 9:40pm session in cinema 1 at the Avenue was 19.6°C at 56% humidity. Most of the time it was above 20°C. That is not cold. For anyone who cannot handle 20°C, take a jacket and stop the whinging.

How did any of you people survive a winter in your home country? That's a decent summer night temp in most countries in temperate regions of the globe and a hot summer night in cooler regions.

You mean which is the best fridge with a big screen..

Seriously, if you think these cinemas are too cold you need to do something about your circulation. I watched another movie tonight in tank top and shorts and was very comfortable. Minimum temp reached during a 9:40pm session in cinema 1 at the Avenue was 19.6°C at 56% humidity. Most of the time it was above 20°C. That is not cold. For anyone who cannot handle 20°C, take a jacket and stop the whinging.

How did any of you people survive a winter in your home country? That's a decent summer night temp in most countries in temperate regions of the globe and a hot summer night in cooler regions.

Tropo - How did you get the temps? A phone app?

Its 700 for the first class cinema and 600 for the porch, both come with free popcorn and drinks. May be expensive for Thailand but it is what I would pay back home for a movie and popcorn/drink. Most of the time I just go to the Avenue as it is much closer and less hassle to get to.

. Dont know why they do it must cost loads more money on electric. Cold enough to put me off going back there.

Yes, of course they know it costs loads on electricity. Cinemas are like caves - dark with no fresh air. As it is, they are probably only air conditioned for 12 hours a day. They need to be kept cool to preserve the carpet which covers the walls and floor and the seat coverings. If they didn't keep it cool at low humidity it would be mouldy and musty inside because room temperature here averages around 30°C at 70 - 80% humidity.

The only other option would be to make the cinemas like they do in the Philippines - concrete floors and vinyl seats. Trust me, it's a lot better over here. My wife never complains - she just brings a light jacket and socks. It's not difficult to stay warm.

Edited by tropo

700 baht, did the cashier cheat you 100 baht ?? ohmy.png

But isn't there just 1 movie being offered on VIP screen at a time? Kinda limits your choice of movies right?

Like I just went to see TED this past weekend and don't think it was even offered on any 600-700thb screens

Edited by Jayman

. Dont know why they do it must cost loads more money on electric. Cold enough to put me off going back there.

Yes, of course they know it costs loads on electricity. Cinemas are like caves - dark with no fresh air. As it is, they are probably only air conditioned for 12 hours a day. They need to be kept cool to preserve the carpet which covers the walls and floor and the seat coverings. If they didn't keep it cool at low humidity it would be mouldy and musty inside because room temperature here averages around 30°C at 70 - 80% humidity.

The only other option would be to make the cinemas like they do in the Philippines - concrete floors and vinyl seats. Trust me, it's a lot better over here. My wife never complains - she just brings a light jacket and socks. It's not difficult to stay warm.

I also think thats really cold - I find that once you've adapted to the ambient temperature, here anything below about 23-24 feels cold, I set my house and office air-con at either 24 or 25. And < 20 deg.C. would give me the shivers bah.gif

VIP screen at central

600 baht a seat...

+1. Nice lounge to wait in before the film, free finger food, nice sofa to sit on during the movie, waiter to bring me what I want, no riff-raff sitting near you chatting away or messing with their cell phones.

You and Alvin sound like proper Little Lord Faultleroys rolleyes.gif

VIP screen at central

600 baht a seat...

+1. Nice lounge to wait in before the film, free finger food, nice sofa to sit on during the movie, waiter to bring me what I want, no riff-raff sitting near you chatting away or messing with their cell phones.

if you have it, flaunt it

oh and its Fauntleroy 's mormon

Edited by timekeeper

VIP screen at central

600 baht a seat...

if you have it, flaunt it

oh and its Fauntleroy 's mormon

is that the brit version of Richie rich?

is that the brit version of Richie rich?

Spot on:

post-47990-0-98761600-1346805017_thumb.j

actually its the other way around

Richie Rich is known as the American version of Little Lord Fauntleroy

LLF pre-dates RR

Richie Rich made his debut as a backup feature in the first issue of the comic book Little Dot in September 1953.

Little Lord Fauntleroy is the first children's novel written by English playwright and author Frances Hodgson Burnett.

It was originally published as a serial in the St. Nicholas Magazine between November 1885 and October 1886, then as a book by Scribner's in 1886.

so there!

Edited by timekeeper

actually its the other way around

Richie Rich is known as the American version of Little Lord Fauntleroy

LLF pre-dates RR

Richie Rich made his debut as a backup feature in the first issue of the comic book Little Dot in September 1953.

Little Lord Fauntleroy is the first children's novel written by English playwright and author Frances Hodgson Burnett.

It was originally published as a serial in the St. Nicholas Magazine between November 1885 and October 1886, then as a book by Scribner's in 1886.

so there!

w00t.gif

going to the cinema is a recreational, not a survival exercise, each to their own, guesss califonia and florida etc have it wrong, Cinema's being eaten alive. switch feezeer on 12 hours a day saves money, erm works like hell getting upto temp it was before, False ecomomy. 1 reply will suffice.