Green Mile Star Michael Clarke Duncan Dies At 54

webfact

Green Mile star Michael Clarke Duncan dies at 54

MichaelClarkeDuncanJan09.jpg

Michael Clarke Duncan 2009. File photo. Source: wikimedia

LOS ANGELES: -- Actor Michael Clarke Duncan, who rose to prominence playing a death row inmate in the acclaimed film The Green Mile, has died at the age of 54.

Duncan suffered a heart attack in July and died at a hospital in Los Angeles after failing to recover.

A former bodyguard, the 6ft 4in (1.93m) Duncan was an imposing figure who played a wide variety of screen roles.

He was nominated for an Oscar in 1999 for The Green Mile, but also played action roles and voiced animated parts.

His versatility saw him team up with Bruce Willis to save the Earth in Armageddon, play it for laughs in the Will Ferrell racing car comedy Talladega Nights, and take a succession of roles in TV sitcoms, including Two and a Half Men.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-19472267

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-09-04

Michael Clarke Duncan, Green Mile star, dead at 54

WASHINGTON: -- Michael Clarke Duncan, the tall, imposing star of The Green Mile and The Whole Nine Yards, has died, according to media reports Monday.

The celebrity news website TMZ quoted his representative as saying he died in a Los Angeles hospital after failing to recover from a "myocardial infarction," the formal medical term for heart attack, that he suffered on July 13.

Duncan’s representative was quoted as saying that his fiancee, Omarosa Manigault, was "grateful for all of your prayers and asks for privacy at this time."

Manigault said that memorial services would be announced "at a later date."

Duncan was nominated for an Oscar as best supporting actor for his role in The Green Mile in 1999, where he played a prisoner on death row who has a mysterious gift of healing.

He began his career in Hollywood as a bodyguard for celebrities such as Will Smith before getting his break into films.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-04

I liked his work and he led a pretty interesting life. He went vegetarian almost four years ago and said that he felt much healthier. It looks like he waited too long. sad.png

A sad loss at only 54.

However if he was a vegetarian for 4 years it's doubtful that meat had anything to do with his death - unless it was the lack of it of course.

Patrick

• Like 1

"Green Mile" star Michael Clarke Duncan dead at 54

2012-09-04 09:33:09 GMT+7 (ICT)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- American actor Michael Clarke Duncan, who starred as a death row inmate in "The Green Mile" and in other box office hits such as "Armageddon" and "Kung <deleted> Panda," died at a hospital in California on Monday, his publicist said. He was 54.

Duncan suffered a heart attack nearly two months ago and had remained hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. "The Oscar-nominated actor suffered a myocardial infarction on July 13 and never fully recovered," said Joy Fehily, a publicist at public relations company Prime.

Reverend Omarosa Manigault, who was previously known to be Duncan's girlfriend, announced his passing in a brief emailed statement from Fehily. "Manigault is grateful for all of your prayers and asks for privacy at this time," she said, adding that Manigault was Duncan's fiancé. It had not previously been reported that the couple was engaged.

"Celebrations of his life, both private and public, will be announced at a later date," Fehily added.

Born in Chicago, Duncan is probably best remembered for his role as death row inmate John Coffey in the 1999 drama film "The Green Mile, which earned him an Oscar nomination. But he is also known for having portrayed Bear on the 1998 disaster film "Armageddon," the voice of Commander Vachir in the 2008 computer-animated action comedy film "Kung <deleted> Panda", and Franklin Figueroa in the 2000 adventure crime comedy film "The Whole Nine Yards."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-09-04

I am truly saddened.

I really, really enjoyed Hart Hanson's Bones spin-off show (from ep. S06E19) "The Finder" in which Mr. Duncan portrayed the title character's "legal adviser", Leo Knox perfectly. Their blackboard debates, "Designated Hitter vs. Al Qaeda (which one is more anti-American!), "Samurai vs. Ninja", "Samba vs. Rhumba", et al., were classics. I was very disappointed that it was not renewed.

Edited by lomatopo

I thought he was a great actor.

he was a big fella, I mean muscular, any experts out there, could he have been on steroids when younger to build him up like that? 54 is awfully young to die (I am saying that as I am not that far off myself) from 'natural causes'.

I once donated a pint of blood to a colleague who was having a quadruple bypass. He didn't smoke, drink, cycled to work, ate healthily. None of his four brothers made it past 45 due to heart attacks. If you are genetically predisposed to heart disease, you can only do so much about it.

• Like 2

He had a huge volume of work including movies, TV episode appearances, and one (co) staring TV role. I just finished watching the entire season (it was cancelled after that, much to my unhappiness) of The Finder in which he was a very good co staring performer.

R.I.P.... much too young!

Ah "The Green Mile" - one of my favourite films. Whilst Tom Hanks was good in the movie it's the characters that surround the main actor that often make the movie so good. Michael Clarke Duncan was great in the part he played. They made him look much taller than he is (not that he's short at 6ft 4inches) by either he walking on a raised platform or the other actors walking in a trench. Not sure which one but he looked a giant of a man in the movie.

I also enjoyed him scaring the bejesus out of Charlie in Two & A Half Men.