Schengen Visa 1 Year Validity

Is there such a thing as a 1 year Schengen visa, but with a maximum stay of 90 days in that year for a Thai wife of an EU Citizen, we would be traveling together and not separately.(for holiday purposes only)

Also does a Mother in Law (my wife's mum) qualify as an ascendant descendant, in other words does she qualify to be exempted from the Schengen Visa fees if traveling with us.

thanks in advance.

Hey

If the spouse is married to an EU citizen, I am under the impression that no visa fee is required.

If you are an EU national but you have family members who are not, I am pretty sure that they can go with you in another EU country or even join you there. It does not prevent the authorities from checking their passport. This goes for your spouse, and for her mother.

Regarding the one year visa, it does exist: it is called circulation visa, valid at least a year (up to the validity of the passport, by indivisible years) and must specifically be asked for when one applies but it is discretionary.

The holder of this multiple entry visa is entitled to spend a 90 day period of time over six months

I am not quite sure about all the rules in every consulate but, usually, when one marries an EU citizen, one is granted a circulation visa bearing the dates of validity of the passport ( or maybe indivisible years ) but that is to verify with your own country's authorities.

I hope this has helped

Edited by alyx

What is said about a circulation visa in the EU is not quite correct. I am a German and when my wife, who is Thai, and I travel to the UK she has to go to the British Visa Service Agency, provide a heap of documents and then gets a free 6 month multi entriea visa, subject to her travelling to the UK with me, or joining me in the UK. They don't issue even a one year multi entries visa.

What is said about a circulation visa in the EU is not quite correct. I am a German and when my wife, who is Thai, and I travel to the UK she has to go to the British Visa Service Agency, provide a heap of documents and then gets a free 6 month multi entriea visa, subject to her travelling to the UK with me, or joining me in the UK. They don't issue even a one year multi entries visa.

UK is not member of Schengen, so when travelling to UK from a Schengen country, you will leave Schengen and therefore need a multiple entry Visa for Scengen and a separate Visa for the UK.

Rules may be a bit different from country to country in Schengen, fx. Marriage Visa, which is not guaranteed in all countries. You will need to check the rules for the country you wish to issue the Scengen Visa - that shall normally be the country you are staying longest time in and do not need to be the same country, where you enter Schengen. Normally you may have up to 90 days first time, with a possibility of extension valid only for the issuing country, which means, that during the extension period you can only stay in that country issuing the extension and not travel freely within Schengen.

Check the present rules and possibilities with the country issuing the Schengen Visa, most - but not all - countries publish the rules at their embassy's homepage.

I know about the UK visas thanks, the question is about Schengen visas.

We applied earlier this year at the Swiss Embassy, they gave us the dates we put down on the application and no more, I read that when you apply for a second Schengen Visa the validity might increase, our plans are to go to Germany and France in December, and then Italy, Austria and Germany in April, so a longer visa would be better, but I have no dates or bookings for the April trip now.

"Also does a Mother in Law (my wife's mum) qualify as an ascendant descendant, in other words does she qualify to be exempted from the Schengen Visa fees if traveling with us."

She may do - see this from the 2004 EU Directive:-

2) "Family member" means:

(a) the spouse;

b - the partner with whom the Union citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the

basis of the legislation of a Member State, if the legislation of the host Member State

treats registered partnerships as equivalent to marriage and in accordance with the

conditions laid down in the relevant legislation of the host Member State;

© the direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependants and those of the

spouse or partner as defined in point b

(d) the dependent direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as

defined in point b

it all depends on what they mean by dependant.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

We applied earlier this year at the Swiss Embassy, they gave us the dates we put down on the application and no more, I read that when you apply for a second Schengen Visa the validity might increase, our plans are to go to Germany and France in December, and then Italy, Austria and Germany in April, so a longer visa would be better, but I have no dates or bookings for the April trip now.

Normally, when you apply for a Tourist Visa, you need to show a full agenda or schedule for your trip. Some Schengen countries may require prof of tickets, hotel-bookings and even confirmed prepayments. The Visa may be valid only for the dates required. Check with the embassy for the country you wish to issue the Schengen Visa.

Normally, when you apply for a Tourist Visa, you need to show a full agenda or schedule for your trip. Some Schengen countries may require prof of tickets, hotel-bookings and even confirmed prepayments. The Visa may be valid only for the dates required. Check with the embassy for the country you wish to issue the Schengen Visa.

I have all the details for the December trip, but as yet not for the April visit, I might just get the missus to get two visas instead of a long validity one

-beano2274-

I do not know from the specific specialties when you are official married, but usually, the Schengen Visa allows 90 days in the Schengen countries in a period of time of 180 days.

So, I do not know if there is any difference if you are married legally.

Normally, when you apply for a Tourist Visa, you need to show a full agenda or schedule for your trip. Some Schengen countries may require prof of tickets, hotel-bookings and even confirmed prepayments.

Not if the applicant is the spouse or other immediate family member of an EEA citizen.

That is correct but then again it depends on who is dealing with your application

I don't mean to be nosy but you wrote that you are EU member, would you be more specific?

You plan to visit many countries: in which one will you stay the longest?

I did answer about the circulation visa but I am not sure you have noticed

That is correct but then again it depends on who is dealing with your application

I don't mean to be nosy but you wrote that you are EU member, would you be more specific?

You plan to visit many countries: in which one will you stay the longest?

I did answer about the circulation visa but I am not sure you have noticed

I think my picture next to my name tells you which country I am from, but to assist you am from the UK.

I am traveling to Germany for my daughters wedding in December and staying there for the longest before traveling on to Paris.

Then next year in April we plan to go to Italy, Austria and Germany, maybe 5 days in Italy and 5 days in Germany.

You will forgive my ignorance but I do not anything about banners (furthermore onean find this kind of symbols in many countries: actually I was hesitating between Switzerland and Belgium)

So you are from Germany, you are married to a Thai national

As I said I do not know about every consulate's rules but your wife is supposed to (automatically) get a circulation visa for the duration of her passport.

Otherwise she may apply for a one year circulation allowing her to remain on the Schengen's territory 90 days per 180 days so this should be ok for your itinerary

Of course you have to go to the German Embassy

So you are from Germany, you are married to a Thai national

No, he is from England....!!

If the OP comes from England, which is not member of Schengen, his Thai wife may only be eligible for a Tourist Visa into Schengen.

The UK is not a Schengen member, but it is an EEA member. Therefore the OP is an EEA national and has freedom of movement throughout the EEA, including the Schengen area, and his wife has the right to accompany him.

She can apply for, and should receive, a Schengen visa under the same terms and conditions as the non EEA spouse of a Schengen national.

• Like 1