Isopropyl Alcohol -Where From?

rikki

Sorry a bit of a brain fart there....

should read as "Yes, ethanol(rubbing alcohol) is colored blue, isopropyl alcohol is clear."

Thanks for pointing it out. Unfortunately, one thing google can't do for you is pick up the gist of the rest of the conversation....

Yes, ethanol(rubbing alcohol) is colored blue, ethyl alcohol is clear.

??? Ethyl alcohol is the old name for ethanol. Both C2H5OH, chemically identical.

I thought the blue ethyl alcohol was not the same as isopropyl alcohol, will have to google it.

Anyway it has to be 99%

Rubbing alcohol can be either ethyl or isopropyl and will be both blue in color since the color is added to prevent illegal uses..Just look what is written on the label.

I think that the Tesco pharmacy stocks both.

I found United chemicals today but they had none, I'm still looking if anyone knows where I can get some

Did you have a look at Tesco already as I suggested?

As I said, both ethyl and isopropyl will have the same blue color since it is an added pigment, and my experience is that the majority of pharmacies sell isopropyl while only a few sell ethyl.

I thought the blue ethyl alcohol was not the same as isopropyl alcohol, will have to google it.

Anyway it has to be 99%

Agreed i worked with IPA for 23 years and it was always CLEAR , but this is thailand ...who knows...what`s your use OP ?

Anyway it has to be 99%

Agreed i worked with IPA for 23 years and it was always CLEAR , but this is thailand ...who knows...what`s your use OP ?

By the way,as far as I know, every alcohol is clear from origin.

post-163350-0-08333600-1347038458_thumb.

Northern Chemical. Near the traffic light on Super highway near Wat Jed Yod. On opposite side of street and about 100 meters north of Grandview Hotel. In a strip of stores there and a bit hard to see. Often there are a number of food carts in the largish parking area. I bought a 5 L container there about 2 months back. Fairly inexpensive.

The blue color in the ethanol that you commonly find here in drug stores has been added I believe to give the stuff a lousy taste to really discourage alcoholics from drinking it. It may also be more toxic in this form but not sure.

Drinking ethanol in any case will give you a blinding headache/hangover. In normal "drinking alcohol" all methanol and most ethanol has been distilled out. The cheaper the stuff usually the less distilled and therefor the higher the ethanol content. Hangovers come form alcohols that have the higher ethanol content.

Methanol content can kill you or at least make you literally go blind (temporarily or permanently) depending on how much you ingested and can cause permanent brain damage. This happens frequently with local hooch made on Bali and probably here as well. I only know this from a guy on Bali who distilled his own for use in making very pure herbal tinctures.

In normal "drinking alcohol" all methanol and most ethanol has been distilled out.

So, we all imagine getting drunk then?

The cheaper the stuff usually the less distilled and therefor the higher the ethanol content. Hangovers come form alcohols that have the higher ethanol content.

Gin gives more of a hangover than cider then? And there was me thinking distillation was done to increase the alcohol content.

Utter nonsense!

Northern Chemical. Near the traffic light on Super highway near Wat Jed Yod. On opposite side of street and about 100 meters north of Grandview Hotel. In a strip of stores there and a bit hard to see. Often there are a number of food carts in the largish parking area. I bought a 5 L container there about 2 months back. Fairly inexpensive.

The blue color in the ethanol that you commonly find here in drug stores has been added I believe to give the stuff a lousy taste to really discourage alcoholics from drinking it. It may also be more toxic in this form but not sure.

Drinking ethanol in any case will give you a blinding headache/hangover. In normal "drinking alcohol" all methanol and most ethanol has been distilled out. The cheaper the stuff usually the less distilled and therefor the higher the ethanol content. Hangovers come form alcohols that have the higher ethanol content.

Methanol content can kill you or at least make you literally go blind (temporarily or permanently) depending on how much you ingested and can cause permanent brain damage. This happens frequently with local hooch made on Bali and probably here as well. I only know this from a guy on Bali who distilled his own for use in making very pure herbal tinctures.

Ethanol is drinking alcohol. Without ethanol (ethyl alcohol) it's not an alcoholic beverage. The stuff that makes hangovers worse is methanol and other chemicals called congeners.

<p>Will try the place on suthep road this am, and northern chems if they dont have it.<br />

I put a new battery in my watch and went swimming.<br />

should have greased the O ring at the same time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I went to several shops, found som LCD screen cleaner,but couldnt read the contents, some wipes with isopropyl alcohol in,etc, but not the real deal</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>sopropyl vs Ethanol</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>Ethanol is an organic molecule and isopropyl is only a part of organic molecule.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Ethanol is stable, and isopropyl is not stable.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Isopropyl has three carbon atoms, and ethanol has only two carbon atoms.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Isopropyl is a hydrocarbon. In ethanol, there is an oxygen atom instead of hydrogen and carbon.</li>

</ul>

<div style="overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;"><br />

Read more: <a href="http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-isopropyl-and-vs-ethanol/#ixzz25qPDDv7P" style="color: #003399;">http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-isopropyl-and-vs-ethanol/#ixzz25qPDDv7P</a></div>

Edited by rikki