Trips Outside Bangkok 4 - Pattaya City

davejones

For our 4th trip out of Bangkok we went to Pattaya for the weekend. Probably many of you already live there, so this may not be of any interest to you. Anyway, we travelled by car, so it was pretty easy to get to. For those without a car, there are buses that go from the bus station in Ekkamai.

We had a fun weekend and both really enjoyed ourselves. Here's a video of Pattaya by day and night, to give you a flavor of what it's like.

http://youtu.be/YgZEhWQhxas

During the day we spent time on the beach relaxing on the deckchairs and eating, and also doing some shopping around town. There's a new Central Mall that is quite good, although nothing new if you've been to their malls in Bangkok. Above the mall is a Hilton Hotel, although that is pretty pricey.

We stayed at the Pattaya Discovery Beach Hotel, which was really good. The buffet breakfast was about the best I've ever had, with a really huge choice. The hotel was about 5 mins walk from Central mall, and about 30 mins walk from Walking Street> But the songthaews travelled along the road almost constantly and only cost 20 baht per trip. But after midnight, many around Walking Street were charging 100 baht, so it's best to ask late at night. But you can easily find the ones charging 20 baht if you walk away from that area for a minute or two.

The nightlife on Walking Street is a bit Disney-like, and seems pretty cleaned up, with plenty of families coming to have a look. Also plenty of police walking up and down the street.

On the Saturday we went to Million Years Stone Park and Pattaya Crocodile Farm. For those that don't like dual pricing, please look away now. It was 400 baht for farang and 150 baht for Thai. Crocodile show was ok, but for me the best bit was feeding the crocodiles with chicken. Rest of the park had elephants, tigers, bears and a few other things. But I would never go again after seeing a bear chained to a chair so that tourists could get their photo taken with it. It was in a pitiful state.

Anyway, here are the crocodiles eating the chicken carcasses.

http://youtu.be/lWB9nR7msPQ

I've read many posts on this forum saying how dangerous Pattaya is. I found it to be the complete opposite. I didn't see a single bad incident of any sort, and people seemed very well behaved. I felt very safe and didn't see anything that even hinted at danger. I'm sure bad things happen there, but that doesn't make the whole town unsafe.

Next we're off to Chiang Mai, so stay tuned.

I've read many posts on this forum saying how dangerous Pattaya is. I found it to be the complete opposite. I didn't see a single bad incident of any sort, and people seemed very well behaved. I felt very safe and didn't see anything that even hinted at danger.

You were just lucky. Pattaya is the cess pool of Thailand, although some might consider that honor goes to Phuket.

the pattaya baht buses that do the loop along beach road then back up second road are TEN baht...not twenty baht....unless you wanted them to veer from their route and take you right to your doorstep or something?..just get in and ring the bell to get out and hand the driver ten baht per person...one of the best transportation systems and values anywhere....compare them to phuket and you'll quickly find out what a great deal pattaya baht buses offer....

• Like 1

the pattaya baht buses that do the loop along beach road then back up second road are TEN baht...not twenty baht....unless you wanted them to veer from their route and take you right to your doorstep or something?..just get in and ring the bell to get out and hand the driver ten baht per person...one of the best transportation systems and values anywhere....compare them to phuket and you'll quickly find out what a great deal pattaya baht buses offer....

He paid 20 baht a trip but there were two of them.

Nice report. Pattaya is perfectly safe, unless you're pissed up, argumentative or looking for trouble. Pretty much as safe as Disneyland!

Yes, that's exactly what I found. I have noticed that all the Pattaya violence mentioned on thaivisa seems to take place at around 3-4am and involves drunk people. Enough said.

I'll give 10 baht next time and see what they say.

I'll give 10 baht next time and see what they say.

i can tell you what they will say...nothing...it is ten baht per person and has been for a long long time..don't ask, just get in, ride, get out hand them ten baht per person and you're done....some locals used to pay 5 baht and of course ex pats whined about double pricing...now i notice the locals also seem to all pay ten baht..

For those that missed the previous trips...

Trip 3 - Train at Maeklong Market and Amphawa Floating Market - http://www.thaivisa....aeklong-market/

Trip 2 - Surin Elephant Festival - http://www.thaivisa....phant-festival/

Trip 1 - River Kwai and Kanchanaburi - http://www.thaivisa....the-river-kwai/

Edited by davejones
  • Like 1

"The nightlife on Walking Street is a bit Disney-like, and seems pretty cleaned up, with plenty of families coming to have a look."

Yes, I agree. The new slogan for Pattaya should be "Pattaya: Where Your Disney Dreams Come True". A very clean and safe city, nothing illegal going on, ideal for families with young kids, especially the lovely places to have a quiet drink on Soi 6. Bring your grandma too, she'll love it.

Pattaya... Good, clean, Disney-themed fun for the whole family!

Edited by FalangBaa

"The nightlife on Walking Street is a bit Disney-like, and seems pretty cleaned up, with plenty of families coming to have a look."

Yes, I agree. The new slogan for Pattaya should be "Pattaya: Where Your Disney Dreams Come True". A very clean and safe city, nothing illegal going on, ideal for families with young kids, especially the lovely places to have a quiet drink on Soi 6. Bring your grandma too, she'll love it.

You have misunderstood. I'm not saying that Pattaya is a family-friendly place, but that Walking Street is a bit Disney-like. Soi 6 is nowhere near Walking Street, so not sure what's that got to do with it. The comment was about Walking Street, not Pattaya in general. To put it another way, if you come to Pattaya for the bars and like places like Soi 6, then you might not like Walking Street because it's probably not hardcore enough. I had a quick wander down Soi 6 and the atmosphere is totally different to Walking Street. No families wandering around Soi 6. Soi 6 seems more for people looking for sex, while Walking Street seems more for coming to have a look at what all the fuss is about. The people coming for a look seem to vastly outnumber those coming for the sex.

Edited by davejones

You have misunderstood. I'm not saying that Pattaya is a family-friendly place, but that Walking Street is a bit Disney-like. Soi 6 is nowhere near Walking Street, so not sure what's that got to do with it. The comment was about Walking Street, not Pattaya in general. To put it another way, if you come to Pattaya for the bars and like places like Soi 6, then you might not like Walking Street because it's probably not hardcore enough. I had a quick wander down Soi 6 and the atmosphere is totally different to Walking Street. No families wandering around Soi 6. Soi 6 seems more for people looking for sex, while Walking Street seems more for coming to have a look at what all the fuss is about. The people coming for a look seem to vastly outnumber those coming for the sex.

How can you tell, just by looking at someone, whether they are coming for sex or not? Do they have to have "pervert" tattooed on their forehead?

How can you tell, just by looking at someone, whether they are coming for sex or not? Do they have to have "pervert" tattooed on their forehead?

Maybe I didn't phrase that too well. You can't tell with many individuals, but you can easily tell the difference between a more family atmosphere and a more adult atmosphere. Are you saying that you've been to both Soi 6 and Walking Street and you can't tell the difference between the two? I can easily tell the difference and so can everyone else I've mention it to. Anyway, if you don't believe me, then so be it, as it's just my opinion.You have a different opinion and that is fine with me.

Edited by davejones

Maybe I didn't phrase that too well. You can't tell with many individuals, but you can easily tell the difference between a more family atmosphere and a more adult atmosphere. Are you saying that you've been to both Soi 6 and Walking Street and you can't tell the difference between the two? I can easily tell the difference and so can everyone else I've mention it to. Anyway, if you don't believe me, then so be it, as it's just my opinion.You have a different opinion and that is fine with me.

You're right. Walking Street these days is thronged with processions of Asian tour groups, gawping at the lights and taking videos and photographs of the brightly coloured lights and weird and wonderful fantasy characters - just like Disneyland, although they don't sample the rides.

You're right. Walking Street these days is thronged with processions of Asian tour groups, gawping at the lights and taking videos and photographs of the brightly coloured lights and weird and wonderful fantasy characters - just like Disneyland, although they don't sample the rides.

I'll definitely be going again, but will explore the city a bit more this time. May even buy a small condo for weekends away. It's nice to be beside the sea now and again.

I've read many posts on this forum saying how dangerous Pattaya is. I found it to be the complete opposite. I didn't see a single bad incident of any sort, and people seemed very well behaved. I felt very safe and didn't see anything that even hinted at danger.

You were just lucky. Pattaya is the cess pool of Thailand, although some might consider that honor goes to Phuket.

Pattaya, unlike Phuket, has no pretensions to being anything other than that which it is. It also has an excellent public transport system. If Pattaya's 'mafia' is so much worse, or at best even equal to Phuket's, why is it that Pattaya is able to fund decent fast, efficient and affordable public transport and Phuket isn't?

Pattaya, unlike Phuket, has no pretensions to being anything other than that which it is. It also has an excellent public transport system. If Pattaya's 'mafia' is so much worse, or at best even equal to Phuket's, why is it that Pattaya is able to fund decent fast, efficient and affordable public transport and Phuket isn't?

I disagree about Pattaya's public transport system. It's great around the beach area but is woefully inadequate in the rest of Pattaya. So maybe 5-10% ok, but 90-95 not ok. I didn't see any public transport at all in some places, and the taxis are almost non-existent.