Are Thai's Very Tolerant Of Us?

WebBangkok

OK, I am asking this as many other countries around the world you always here about immigration problems and the locals not liking foreigners too much.

You only have to look at the hate groups around the world who are 99% towards visitors to the country who are a different race.

The main groups

Australia:

KKK (small presence in Australia), Skin heads

Events: Paki bashing in Melbourne, Cronulla race riot. Maybe more that I am not aware of.

US:

KKK, plus so many more. Mostly target the Blacks and Mexicans

UK:

Skin heads, Paki bashings and I believe there was a political group too (or was that a movie w00t.gif )

I am not going to name them all as I am no expert in this subject. But I dont think I have ever heard of a hate group against Farangs in Thailand ever (I could be wrong).

So is there any Thai hate groups that are known in Thailand?

Australia has the kkk?

Never ever heard of any representation of that in OZ. As for skinheads. They are so minor in number that they are also insignificant.

I should also add. The 'paki' bashings were against Indian students. They are different countries now.

The Cronulla race riots were (mainly Cronulla area locals) against groups of Australian Lebanese coming into the Cronulla area and allegedly causing trouble. It wasn't about other races or groups.

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

Webbangkok, are you from the US? Yes, the kkk is there, but it is one of those things that doesn't have much relevance. Many ethnic groups are played with over there, with varying degrees. Depending on which area you're in you're either bound so see some ethnic intolerance going on which depends on a number of factors (as always, ignorance being be most dominant followed by stupidity). But considering the .5" space thailand takes up in comparison to the page and a half of the US by sheer size of country and ethnic diversity the US has, as well as other countries not thailand ... (but this thread is about thailand, so I'll stop with the former).

But to answer your question, some thais are tolerant, some aren't - it shouldn't take long to figure out why that is if one stays in the country long enough.

Even if there were hate groups here, what would be done about them?

By the way, your avatar is adorable.

Edited by hookedondhamma

Australia:

KKK (small presence in Australia), Skin heads

Events: Paki bashing in Melbourne, Cronulla race riot. Maybe more that I am not aware of.

KKK, I have never heard of.

Paki Bashing is done by a very small minority on a very infrequent basis and the Cronulla riots were initially payback for the bashing of a young Aussie surf life saver on duty by a couple of immigrants.

Australians do not generally get about hating others, there are those with very small minds and those with issues which lend themselves to being fukwhits but they are everywhere.

Rural Thai's are very nice people, like European grandmothers. Those with contact with tourist areas are not so nice but what would you expect when your day to day involves pisheads, whingers and wanke_rs.

Like I said, I am no expert on these hate groups, but the point is you do hear about Paki bashing. Its an actual name on beating up guys who look Indian and Pakistani's.

I know a few Melbourne moron's used to say lets go Paki bashing which is a term that Brit pub morons like to use.

The point of the thread was, there is a lot of race hate groups around the world, but I have never heard of any in Thailand. So while some Thai's may not like us, I have never heard of Thai's going out in groups aiming to beat some westerners or foreigners up.

You will find that Thailand is no more racist than any other country.

If you look carefully of how foreigners are treated in your own country ( by the locals ). You will find it's no better than how Thais treat farangs.

Edited by dansat
  • Like 2

You will find that Thailand is no more racist than any other country.

If you look carefully of how foreigners are treated in your own country ( by the locals ). You will find it's no better than how Thais treat farangs.

Yes very true, but I think Thai's are less likely to beat someone up because of there race.

I would not like to be in Thailand if I was Nigerian but I don't think there is a specific group that dislikes this race, I think thier behavior is well known and disliked, 1 or 2 other racial groups sort of fall into this category but it's more of a because they behave in an inappropriate way whilst in LOS.

This guy isn't happy with Farang

I would not like to be in Thailand if I was Nigerian but I don't think there is a specific group that dislikes this race, I think thier behavior is well known and disliked, 1 or 2 other racial groups sort of fall into this category but it's more of a because they behave in an inappropriate way whilst in LOS.

This guy isn't happy with Farang

Depends if you had to live in Nigeria or in Thailand.

Australia has the kkk?

Never ever heard of any representation of that in OZ. As for skinheads. They are so minor in number that they are also insignificant.

I should also add. The 'paki' bashings were against Indian students. They are different countries now.

The Cronulla race riots were (mainly Cronulla area locals) against groups of Australian Lebanese coming into the Cronulla area and allegedly causing trouble. It wasn't about other races or groups.

I also have never heard of Paki Bashing in Melbourne and I come from there and also Police the streets. The KKK sorry again. As for the Indian bashings allegedly by Aussies. well Melbourne is a muticultural City and a lot of those so called bashings and the like were conducted by various ethnic groups including indians

• Like 1

Australia has the kkk?

I also have never heard of Paki Bashing in Melbourne and I come from there and also Police the streets. The KKK sorry again. As for the Indian bashings allegedly by Aussies. well Melbourne is a muticultural City and a lot of those so called bashings and the like were conducted by various ethnic groups including indians

+1

Australians do not generally get about hating others,

I'd disagree - Aussies have always had a nice bigoted streak running through history, from the decimation/marginalisation of Aboriginals and the Kanaks to the poll tax on Chinese, immigration officers demanding German would-be migrants speak Scottish Gaelic to pass the test, treatment of Italians/Greeks (<deleted>, so quaintly termed), Vietnamese . . . etc . . . etc . . .

Ah, how about the White Australia Policy that wasn't dismantled until Whitlam sunk his teeth into it . . . (I did a thesis on the White Australia Policy at Uni - fascinating subject)

We may pass ourselves off as being laid back and tolerant but as a nation we have proven otherwise.

As for Thais . . . there really aren't the fundamentals for anti-Caucasian groups to form. 'We' don't compete for their jobs, nor do we vote or anything that might threaten them as a group . . . as for taking 'their' women . . . yea, right.

So, it isn't a matter of tolerance - rather a matter of 'us' being relatively insignificant to the majority of Thais

Look at any country you will find their history to be flawed. White Australia policy disappeared in the early seventies. Almost 40 years ago.Things do change.

• Like 2

I'd disagree - Aussies have always had a nice bigoted streak running through history, from the decimation/marginalisation of Aboriginals and the Kanaks to the poll tax on Chinese, immigration officers demanding German would-be migrants speak Scottish Gaelic to pass the test, treatment of Italians/Greeks (<deleted>, so quaintly termed), Vietnamese . . . etc . . . etc . . .

Ah, how about the White Australia Policy that wasn't dismantled until Whitlam sunk his teeth into it . . . (I did a thesis on the White Australia Policy at Uni - fascinating subject)

We may pass ourselves off as being laid back and tolerant but as a nation we have proven otherwise.

As for Thais . . . there really aren't the fundamentals for anti-Caucasian groups to form. 'We' don't compete for their jobs, nor do we vote or anything that might threaten them as a group . . . as for taking 'their' women . . . yea, right.

So, it isn't a matter of tolerance - rather a matter of 'us' being relatively insignificant to the majority of Thais

I would say Thais overall are very tolerant of foreigners. In the very tourist areas less so & tolerance will probably decrease as high volume packaged tourism, as proposed by the current government, really takes off. Off topic, but I lived in Australia for thirty years & there is definitely an undertone of racism - my Thai wife experienced overt racism on more than a few occasions.

• Like 1

Australia has the kkk?

why would Aus need the KKK ? they have Pauline Hanson.

Look at any country you will find their history to be flawed. White Australia policy disappeared in the early seventies. Almost 40 years ago.Things do change.

Of course every country has a flawed past - no disagreement there. And yes, the White Australia Policy was dismantled 'officially' when Whitlam was in power, as I stated . . . and it took until last year to have the number of immigrants into Australia from Asia almost match the number of Caucasian immigrants. Almost.

Think about it, though . . . a country having an official racist policy, which was even hailed as 'the greatest thing we have ever achieved' by the then PM Hughes.

Official policy is one thing, people's beliefs are another, less quantifiable but to deny that there is an anti-Arab/Muslim sentiment in Australia is laughable . . . anti-Asian sentiment? Of course. Aboriginals? Of course.

Anyway, most migrants into Australia are from NZ - this needs to be stopped!

Of course every country has a flawed past - no disagreement there. And yes, the White Australia Policy was dismantled 'officially' when Whitlam was in power, as I stated . . . and it took until last year to have the number of immigrants into Australia from Asia almost match the number of Caucasian immigrants. Almost.

Think about it, though . . . a country having an official racist policy, which was even hailed as 'the greatest thing we have ever achieved' by the then PM Hughes.

Official policy is one thing, people's beliefs are another, less quantifiable but to deny that there is an anti-Arab/Muslim sentiment in Australia is laughable . . . anti-Asian sentiment? Of course. Aboriginals? Of course.

Anyway, most migrants into Australia are from NZ - this needs to be stopped!

No you need the Kiwi's that are flocking to Aussie as it increases the intelligence of both countries....however that cannot be citied any more as what we are losing to Aussie is our motivated driven workers, which if you get past the few that might be dole bluggers, most are actually the driven superior hard arse people in a lot of your big construction projects.

Youre talking through your hat OP. Racism and xenophobia is vastly more common in many asian countries: in particular Thailand, Korea, China and Japan. It's just that in these asian countries it tends to be less physical. The degree of racism xenophobia in most western countries is far lower. Yes there may be the very occasional event which is then beat-up by the media and white bashers and the rediculous PC brigade along with loud threats from the government of the victim. But, if you take Thailand, for example, and look at the evidence over the years of a myriad of disgusting and evil wrongs perpetrated by Thais on westeners, it makes the odd event, in say, Australia, simply pale into insignificance.

You can walk into any Australian city right now and you will witness tens of thousands of asians (and many others such as middle eastern) Thais, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Phillipino, etc etc etc walking around extremely happy with their move to Australia. In fact, you could even say they seem to walk around as if they own the place, not feeling 2nd, or 3rd class, but extremely confident, very well entrenched...settled-in. They look like they're on top of the world...they've struck it rich, got businesses (unfortunately, almost entirely staffed by people from their own ethnic background), got their family, got their car, got their house...hey it seems as though "they got it all", they got their PR or citizenship, can buy land...hey, the whole farm etc etc.

And, I witness the local "whites" treating the "newcomers" as if they were part of the family...no (observable) discrimination, friendly, helpful, sharing, engaging, welcoming, inclusive.

Look, bassed on the overwhelming evidence I have seen, I utterly disagree with you.

I'd much prefer you to use your time and energy trying to improve the lot for expats in countries like Thailand instead of taking "trendy", "PC" swipe and not so subtle smear campaign of westeners.

You can change Australia to New Zealand and it is no different here.

Thais have no reason to hate foreigners of any ethnicity. In a normal day, Thais don't think about foreigners and who we are, what we do, where we're from or how we feel. These things simply don't register because we're not a group with power and influence nor are we here in sufficient numbers to attain it (Thank the heavens).

Given the things I've seen foreigners get up to in Bangkok, I think the Thais are remarkably tolerant.

I do agree with you one one point, and that is that the Thais do put up with the sometimes shameful, disgusting behaviour from some westerner holidayers (and the odd expat). But, to a large extent, the Thais encourage it, making itself a hub for everything degenerate and doing it all for the love of money. So, in this particular regard, I have no sympathy for Thais/Thailand. You reep what you sow.

I don't think so. I got to Thailand 40 years ago and liked Thais. I still do.

Youre talking through your hat OP. Racism and xenophobia is vastly more common in many asian countries: in particular Thailand, Korea, China and Japan. It's just that in these asian countries it tends to be less physical. The degree of racism xenophobia in most western countries is far lower. Yes there may be the very occasional event which is then beat-up by the media and white bashers and the rediculous PC brigade along with loud threats from the government of the victim. But, if you take Thailand, for example, and look at the evidence over the years of a myriad of disgusting and evil wrongs perpetrated by Thais on westeners, it makes the odd event, in say, Australia, simply pale into insignificance.

You can walk into any Australian city right now and you will witness tens of thousands of asians (and many others such as middle eastern) Thais, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Phillipino, etc etc etc walking around extremely happy with their move to Australia. In fact, you could even say they seem to walk around as if they own the place, not feeling 2nd, or 3rd class, but extremely confident, very well entrenched...settled-in. They look like they're on top of the world...they've struck it rich, got businesses (unfortunately, almost entirely staffed by people from their own ethnic background), got their family, got their car, got their house...hey it seems as though "they got it all", they got their PR or citizenship, can buy land...hey, the whole farm etc etc.

And, I witness the local "whites" treating the "newcomers" as if they were part of the family...no (observable) discrimination, friendly, helpful, sharing, engaging, welcoming, inclusive.

Look, bassed on the overwhelming evidence I have seen, I utterly disagree with you.

I'd much prefer you to use your time and energy trying to improve the lot for expats in countries like Thailand instead of taking "trendy", "PC" swipe and not so subtle smear campaign of westeners.

The head of the Aboriginal Legal Service has accused the WA Police Commissioner of inciting racial hatred after he spoke out about the high rate of Aboriginal juveniles involved in home burglaries.

The Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan has released figures showing juvenile crime is spiralling upwards and 50 per cent of burglaries are committed by people 18 or under.

He says what is more alarming is that Aboriginal youths represent 61 per cent of those juveniles.

“Given that Aboriginal people make up about two per cent of our population in Western Australia that is a staggering over-representation in that age group and we have to stop that from occurring,” he said.

http://racismdaily.c...original-crime/

http://www.watoday.c...10218-1az1l.htm

In Australia, the concept of unwitting racism has served to expand the potential targets for accusation. Take Tasmania's Department of Education report "Without Prejudice. Guidelines For Inclusive Language". After explaining that words are often used to "portray certain groups as inferior or superior to others", it adds that "sometimes this usage is unwitting and stems from the continued dominance of mainstream culture".

So why is it that at a time when cultural affirmation for racism is at an all-time low the federal government has sought to devote resources to organise a national campaign against it? (Jan 2012)

http://www.theaustra...x-1226249716844