Australian Passport Renewal Bangkok....

....2 Options available for return of new passport.

Going to renew my Aussie passport later this month @ Oz Embassy Bangkok.

From what I can gather via Embassy and Passports web sites it appears that there are 2 options available for the return of the new passport.

1. Return to Embassy after the 10 day processing period and pick up new passport. Old passport will then be cancelled.

2. Pay for EMS delivery to home address in Thailand. Current passport cancelled at interview.

To avoid a second trip to Bangkok (900 Klms round trip) I am thinking about option 2.

However, this would leave me without a valid passport for 10+ days.

And who knows what could happen in that time.

Question is I guess, has anybody been there done that?

Do the Embassy per chance add a note to the old passport saying that a new one has been applied for?

wai.gif

Give them a ring or email them. I contacted the embassy by phone once and got an answering service. They phoned me back that afternoon.

"Address: Australian Embassy Bangkok

37 South Sathorn Rd, Bangkok 10120

Operating Hours: 08:30am – 4:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

No appointment is necessary. If possible, please attend the office

early in the day and allow plenty of time for the interview and

document processing requirements to be completed.

Telephone: 02 344 6300

Fax: 02 344 6310

Email: [email protected]"

Been there done that !!!! did option 2 no problem, you get your old passport back with cancelled and front cut off take's about 20min at embassy just take form passport and money there is NO interview got passport back in less than 10 days

Quite correct, I did same, no need to visit BKK twice.

Edited by UbonOz

Been there done that !!!! did option 2 no problem, you get your old passport back with cancelled and front cut off take's about 20min at embassy just take form passport and money there is NO interview got passport back in less than 10 days

Thanks guys....So no note or notation in the old passport to explain why you have a cancelled passport?

Thanks guys....So no note or notation in the old passport to explain why you have a cancelled passport?

No, it is obvious why it is cancelled.

Either, full/expired/damaged etc

You will need to get any current visa transferred to new passport when it is received.

A visa can never be transferred into a new passport. If you have a multi entry visa in old passport you just show both to use entry in new passport. And on exit of Thailand they will take care of current entry transfer.

If you are on an extension of stay from Immigration you do visit immigration to transfer that extension/passport/visa information from old passport to new passport.

A visa can never be transferred into a new passport. If you have a multi entry visa in old passport you just show both to use entry in new passport. And on exit of Thailand they will take care of current entry transfer.

If you are on an extension of stay from Immigration you do visit immigration to transfer that extension/passport/visa information from old passport to new passport.

Correct, I should have been more specific, sorry.

Got that side of things sorted out already. Last visit to Immigration I asked if they would be kind enough to transfer extension stamp and at what cost.

Was told no problem with transfer. As far as cost goes, and I quote "see what happens on that day" ermm.gif

Got that side of things sorted out already. Last visit to Immigration I asked if they would be kind enough to transfer extension stamp and at what cost.

Was told no problem with transfer. As far as cost goes, and I quote "see what happens on that day" ermm.gif

Did not cost me, they just did the transfer.

When you apply at the OZ embassy if you do option 2 they will cancel you passport there and then and give you back, the VISA or stamps are still vaild so you will not be without a passport so NO need to copy anything if you need to travel you can on a cancelled passport as you have the recipt and old passport I think you are panicking about nothing

When you apply at the OZ embassy if you do option 2 they will cancel you passport there and then and give you back, the VISA or stamps are still vaild so you will not be without a passport so NO need to copy anything if you need to travel you can on a cancelled passport as you have the recipt and old passport I think you are panicking about nothing

Thanks Mike ....I won't be traveling until about 4 weeks after new passport arrives.

So no dramas as far as that is concerned.

I have never panicked in my life ............ well maybe oncebiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngwink.png

just fill out form which you can get online no big deal go to oz embassy go see lady she thai no problem she will check form then ask what you want post or come back I told her post had to fill out form with address took passpot come back passport cancelled paid money no problem

You cannot travel on a cancelled passport. You require a valid passport to travel.

The Australian embassy wesbsite states the following:

"Your new passport will take 10 working days to process. If you need to travel on your current passport while your new one is processed, please advise staff at the interview. If you choose this option you will need to present your current passport to us for cancellation before your new one can be released to you."

You cannot travel on a cancelled passport. You require a valid passport to travel.

"Your new passport will take 10 working days to process. If you need to travel on your current passport while your new one is processed, please advise staff at the interview. If you choose this option you will need to present your current passport to us for cancellation before your new one can be released to you."

think you have just answed the question if you need to travel on your current passport see the girl when you go in and they will tell you YOU CAN TRAVEL ON YOUR OLD PASSPORT WITH THE RECIPT do not quote on the web site GO AND SEE THEM that wat i did no problem

[

With a cancelled passport no airline will check you in. No immigration officer will accept a cancelled passport. You need a valid passport to travel. A cancelled passport is not valid

well did it 3 month ago there and back to OZ no problem had to show recipt and it was emergancy so stick that in your pipe and smoke it
  • Like 1

[

With a cancelled passport no airline will check you in. No immigration officer will accept a cancelled passport. You need a valid passport to travel. A cancelled passport is not valid

well did it 3 month ago there and back to OZ no problem had to show recipt and it was emergancy so stick that in your pipe and smoke it

I do not smoke.

The airline would have had to get permission from Australian immigration to uplift you. Because it was an emegency then they do permit.

I dare say you will reply but I will not bother a further response. I hope you anger does subside

(then they do permit) why say you can not travel when you can me thinks you need to get your facts right before open mouth

and Mod's not flamming anybody just pointing out the correct facts

Edited by MikeandDow

• 7 months later...

[

I do not smoke.

The airline would have had to get permission from Australian immigration to uplift you. Because it was an emegency then they do permit.

I dare say you will reply but I will not bother a further response. I hope you anger does subside

I don't see any evidence of 'anger' he, simply stated the facts as he experienced them.

Clearly a case of someone being over sensitive.

As a Pom, I read this thread with considerable envy.

At least the Aussie Embassy still renews passports for its citizens residing in LOS. We Poms have to submit our applications to Hong Kong and then have to wait at least 4 weeks until the IPS back home can be bothered to print and send us our new passportssad.png

^^

Australia is only a variation on the same theme. Aust passports are only issued in Canberra, London or Washington DC. Applications in BKK are still sent off to OZ for processing. 10 working day turn around is still the advice given however.