Drink Driving Blitz Starts Oct 1St

kaptainrob

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scenario...spoken in Thai!!!

A man is driving down the road somewhat erratically. A cop notices this and pulls him over; he walks up to the window and says:

"Sir, I believe you're drunk. I'm going to administer a breathalyzer test"

Man, sheepishly: "Oh, I'm sorry officer, I'm a severe asthmatic, and I don't have my inhaler with me...if I blow into that thing I could have an attack and die"

Cop, a little distrustful: "Uh, yeah...well, this is more invasive, but if you won't submit to a breathalyzer, I'm going to have to take you down to the station and take blood"

Man: "Yeah, well, see, the thing is, I'm a terrible hemophiliac, and so I can't give blood...I might die"

Cop, clearly frustrated: "Alright buddy, well, this is imprecise, but I'm going to have to have you get out of your vehicle and walk this line heel-toe"

4162526113_b8093525c8.jpg

Man: "Oh, I'm sorry officer, I can't do that, I'm drunk."

• Like 2

i'm still wondering why they are giving a warning.

i wish they would raise the breathalyzer limit. 1 bottle of beer does not make me drunk, but enough to put me in jail...

I belive its 2 in the first hour and then 1 per hour after... During the Euros I had to do vomit inducing things like make conversation with people in order to limit myself to 3 beers a match!

Sent from Android, please excuse errors in type or judgement.

drunk driving blitz that will have 0 farang charged.

Sorry to contradict you but I know of two Farang who've been busted already at Thapae Gate (separate times). Both got to spend some time in Jail, before a trip to see the judge. The BIB weren't making any exceptions on financial grounds either. I heard that the current "crackdown" is a gift from the outgoing Governor, but has taken on a momentum of it's own due to recent events in Bangkok. Seems even the old chestnut "do you know who I am?" doesn't have much sway right now rolleyes.gif

i'm still wondering why they are giving a warning.

Any sensible enforcement of anything means giving a warning. At least when the goal is to actually get people to change their behavior, as opposed to raking in some fines. This because they can only test a tiny fraction of people out at night, and because the specific location of checkpoints is rapidly communicated by people anyway.

Where I come from it was widely advertized that there would be road blocks set up around the city to catch drunk drivers in the holiday season. They were also mobile so you could not predict where they would be. Proved fairly successful. Many arrests for drunk driving and a lot of 24 hour suspensions.

I know this may seem extreme, but--what say nobody drive drunk for a while?

For a while? Why are you advocating irresponsible behavior, by setting a limited time period?

( rolleyes.gif )

This looks like irony to me, something lost on a few members here it would seem. I really find it unfathomable that anyone would be pro-drunk driving.

While a drunk driver is certainly entitled to self destruct through his own stupidity I would rather not have such people putting my life at risk, thank you very much.

• Like 1

Look at the notice again.....its not for farang obviously...can anyone read it?

the only plausible thing there, is that there maybe a possibilty of escaping the fine by instantly buying 0.5g of gold and transferring it to the roadside officer.

Its obviously for Thais guys........and in truth at 1 am the BIB dont want hassle of dealing with us, we are too complicated, especially when drunk.

Maybe the BiB will start at 11pm & catch a few sneaky drivers trying to get home before the "official" crack down wink.png

Taking a walk around town, it wouldn't hurt if they did a few in the afternoon too, as there are lots of drunks (with vehicles) sitting in bars around that time. The only way it's going to have any effect is to hit people hard and I mean a fine (min 10,000 Baht or jail) and losing the licence for a specific length of time......no less than a year, for a first offence. Same for Thai or farang......no dual pricing

Edited by uptheos

Maybe the BiB will start at 11pm & catch a few sneaky drivers trying to get home before the "official" crack down wink.png

Taking a walk around town, it wouldn't hurt if they did a few in the afternoon too, as there are lots of drunks (with vehicles) sitting in bars around that time. The only way it's going to have any effect is to hit people hard and I mean a fine (min 10,000 Baht or jail) and losing the licence for a specific length of time......no less than a year, for a first offence. Same for Thai or farang......no dual pricing

And people who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either being made.

• Like 1

I had to laugh when I saw this image. Thought about this topic subject ...

post-80628-0-16403200-1348135710_thumb.j

That's one way to prevent drinking and driving (a bicycle)

OTDS with a sense of humour?..wonders never....and reminds me about the vampire bicycle that went round biting peoples arms off? It was a vicious cycle.

Edited by onthedarkside

the only plausible thing there, is that there maybe a possibilty of escaping the fine by instantly buying 0.5g of gold and transferring it to the roadside officer.

Its obviously for Thais guys........and in truth at 1 am the BIB dont want hassle of dealing with us, we are too complicated, especially when drunk.

You should get out some more. For those of you who live in Sankampaeng and are driving home from the city in the wee hours shoud take care if you're under the influence. whistling.gif

Edited by Semper

Never mind the time of drinking (except that it is unfortunate that some people some to have to start drinking at breakfast). Children always try to find a "way around," in any case.

The appropriate penalties take some consideration and how well they can be enforced takes some thinking. In practice, would it be fair to say that the only really effective remedy is mandatory jail time? That seems to work rather well in Scandinavia.

There are other options, too, of course, including large fines, but have large fines worked well elsewhere? And how large? A 10000THB fine in Thailand for a Thai person is very, very steep, but would it really work? And here, perhaps dual pricing might make lot of sense. How many times have you seen farang posts on TV Chiang Mai laughing at the "relatively" small fines for traffic offenses. "Ho hum" is the usual response; not even a day's beer allowance! The result, unfortunately, can be "F***em," I'll drink and drive when I bloody well please, thank you, and if they charge me more because I am a foreigner, i will accuse them of being racist!!

How many times have you seen farang posts on TV Chiang Mai laughing at the "relatively" small fines for traffic offenses. "Ho hum" is the usual response; not even a day's beer allowance! The result, unfortunately, can be "F***em," I'll drink and drive when I bloody well please, thank you, and if they charge me more because I am a foreigner, i will accuse them of being racist!!

The same people are usually vociferous on the helmet issue, probably to deflect attention from drivers that drink.

LOL, is that what you're going to tell them? I couldn't read the sign. This isn't for farang. I wasn't properly warned

drunk driving tests at 12am-3am is nothing more than a scam to drum up cash. the roads are virtually ghost at 12-3 and 90% of the people out and about are drunks.

At far greater issue is the cars and trucks driving 100 km an hour past elementary school grounds. Vehicles zipping up and down the streets at triple the speed limit, Drunks driving during the day when kids are out and the traffic is 50x denser.

• Like 1

LOL, is that what you're going to tell them? I couldn't read the sign. This isn't for farang. I wasn't properly warned

drunk driving tests at 12am-3am is nothing more than a scam to drum up cash. the roads are virtually ghost at 12-3 and 90% of the people out and about are drunks.

At far greater issue is the cars and trucks driving 100 km an hour past elementary school grounds. Vehicles zipping up and down the streets at triple the speed limit, Drunks driving during the day when kids are out and the traffic is 50x denser.

So your saying drunk driving is ok at night.. hmmm.

Drunk driving is never ok in my book. Hope they catch many drunks and really punish them.

• Like 1