Authentic Vietnamese Restaurant With Reasonable Prices.

tangcoral

Not sure if anyone mentioned Sai Gon Oi located in MeeChok Plaza, right next door to Kelly's bistro in Fa ham.

I do see a lot of Vietnamese restaurants in CM but haven't tried them all to be considered an expert reliable source but in my opinion Saigon Oi is good!

I am in no way affiliated with these guys but thought I share my experiences and wanted to hear from those that have eaten here and what they thought.

The main entrees are priced anywhere between 60-75 baht. Their food uses no MSG or food flavoring enhancers typically used in many other places.

I can't say the food is rich and full of flavor but I don't think vietnamese food was originally that way.

The lady owner is from Vietnam along with the Vietnamese chef.

Pho cost 45 baht, the portion size is as one would find at a typical thai establishment. I enjoyed it. Some may find it a tiny bit bland but again no flavor enhancers but reminds me of a home style cooking.

Be sure to try the"Banh Mi" with grilled pork and pate paste (Vietnamese sandwich) is awesome and priced at 40 baht.

Spring roll and fried spring roll is great. Its not like how the typical thai Vietnamese would make it, It just taste different, taste exactly as if it was sold in southern Vietnam.

And best of all they use Vietnamese imported sauces unlike many places that use stuff off the shelf of tesco.

Being authentic I can tell this is not a place a local thai would like but rather someone that appreciates authentic and not thai-adjusted taste.

Anyhow, I would like to hear from those that have tried this place.

Edited by tangcoral
  • Like 1

Heres a google map.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=meechok+plaza&hl=en&ll=18.81548,99.014626&spn=0.059877,0.089521&sll=18.796464,98.660059&sspn=3.831848,5.72937&mra=ls&t=m&z=14

Its in big plaza which is located on corner of a major intersection. Plaza consists of McDonalds, rimping supermarket etc.

Maybe someone should mention to the owner that her signs needs to be more visible or at least different colors, tan on brown is hard to see...however you'll see Kelly's green sign which is hard to miss as its right next door.

Edited by tangcoral

I thought the name was "Pho Saigon"?

Anyway, yes, this is the best Vietnamese food we have found in Chiang Mai. We eat there a few times every month.

The Pho tastes very similar to the Pho served in the Vietnamese restaurants in the Washington DC/ Northern Virginia area.

However, I disagree with your last statement. My girlfriend, along with our Thai coworkers (all local Thai's), really like the food at this shop and in fact prefer it over other Vietnamese places in town!

-Mestizo

The Vietnamese place across the parking lot and upstairs (sorry I forget the name) is 100% better than that one. It is packed all day long. I rarely see a customer in the one you mention. The sandwich is good but it is just a little snack. You need about 3 of them to fill you up.

Wow, didnt even notice there is another vietnamese restaurant in that same plaza. I will definitely give them a try this week. Thank you for that info.

EDIT: my wife just mentioned to me that she saw some restaurant up there called My Vietnam, could that be the place your referring to?

2nd EDIT: thanks for the link elektrified, and lucky me this site is showing its on huay kaew which is next to my house. Do they have multiple locations?

3rd EDIT:Just found out from the website that they have franchise opportunity, so I guess there are multiple locations.

Edited by tangcoral

The Vietnamese place across the parking lot and upstairs (sorry I forget the name) is 100% better than that one. It is packed all day long. I rarely see a customer in the one you mention. The sandwich is good but it is just a little snack. You need about 3 of them to fill you up.

Wow, didnt even notice there is another vietnamese restaurant in that same plaza. I will definitely give them a try this week. Thank you for that info.

found the name http://myvietnamesef...ood.com/

Edited by elektrified

It's the best I've found, they have a shrimp thing that's real good, it comes on the mixed platter which is a nice share app. I have the Pho which use to be better as I believe they have tried to go upscale to attract foreign taste by changing from leg to breast meat, but with the aforementioned sauces it's still pretty good. The kids the the special "burger". No comparison to My Vietnam but would not expect a franchise where the employees not have nay knowledge of what they are serving being any good.

Heres a google map.

https://maps.google....=m&z=14

Its in big plaza which is located on corner of a major intersection. Plaza consists of McDonalds, rimping supermarket etc.

Maybe someone should mention to the owner that her signs needs to be more visible or at least different colors, tan on brown is hard to see...however you'll see Kelly's green sign which is hard to miss as its right next door.

Um, I think your map link is to another Meechok plaza in another part of Thailand.

I've gone to the place suggested and while it was good, I didn't find it special. Perhaps I should have tried the one across the street. Hmmm.

I like this place a lot. I'm not an expert on Vietnamese food but I really like their stuff. I get a pho that is not what I think of normally but is dry and delicious. they also have the rice paper wraps you do yourself that are great.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=18.791755,98.995743&spn=0.002316,0.008658&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=18.79176,98.995742&panoid=1yoJOHFL43NKGUs39ySoQA&cbp=11,322.35,,0,10.59

Edited by beb

Tried both the upstairs and downstairs at Meechok/Rimping plaza and the downstairs one IMO is way better. Kitchen can be a bit slow if they have a few tables order at the same time. But food is tasty. Favorites: stir fried beef and onion with a fried egg, pork 'ragout', spring rolls, ban mi sandwich (small but really good).

• Like 1

I'll have to give it another try but I have tried it 4 times now and left disappointed each time. The exception being the sandwiches which are really good but you need 3 of them for a meal.

I did watch the young Thai girl doing the cooking one time and she used nothing more than the Mama style noodles found in every Thai market. I did notice a little improvement since they moved from the other side of the parking lot.

Too bad Ha Long Bay has changed hands. That was the best in town. I used to go there once a week for the first year I was here.

I'll have to give it another try but I have tried it 4 times now and left disappointed each time. The exception being the sandwiches which are really good but you need 3 of them for a meal.

I did watch the young Thai girl doing the cooking one time and she used nothing more than the Mama style noodles found in every Thai market. I did notice a little improvement since they moved from the other side of the parking lot.

Too bad Ha Long Bay has changed hands. That was the best in town. I used to go there once a week for the first year I was here.

4 times should be more than enough to determine your likings smile.png and yes I agree they are not full size sandwiches but rather on the small size, but it complements well with other entrees to fill you up.

though i never try the sandwich, they made really nice non fried spring rolls. mrs love the kanom jean dish. their food are pretty light hearted and seems healthier imo

for fried one i prefer the one upstairs, very special and don't look like the usual spring rolls. they have this white square meatloaf thingy too, taste great

Edited by barefoot1988

What about the vietnamese restaurant opposite the presidents hotel (off the north-east corner of the moat)? It does a lunch time buffet for just over 100 baht. Is this restaurant thai-style flavoured or more the real vietnam food?

I will definitely try the saigon place!

What about the vietnamese restaurant opposite the presidents hotel (off the north-east corner of the moat)? It does a lunch time buffet for just over 100 baht. Is this restaurant thai-style flavoured or more the real vietnam food?

That used to be owned by the same people who owned Ha Long Bay on Th. Suthep. Now it is something totally different. Went there for lunch about 6 weeks ago. It is 85% Thai food aimed at the Thais working in the area. And not even good Thai food. Lots of greasy, fried things. Would not go back.

That used to be owned by the same people who owned Ha Long Bay on Th. Suthep. Now it is something totally different. Went there for lunch about 6 weeks ago. It is 85% Thai food aimed at the Thais working in the area. And not even good Thai food. Lots of greasy, fried things. Would not go back.

Agreed, the food is some of the most greasy I've had and not in a good way.

Agreed, the food is some of the most greasy I've had and not in a good way.

Yeah I stopped by there once and won't go back. A much better place is just around the corner.

The Le Gong Kum Vietnamese Restaurant, located at the end of Soi Jannsaap, is the best Vietnamese restaurant I have eaten at in Chiang Mai. Soi Jannsaap is on Huay Kaew Road, a half a block down from Hillside Condotel 4, going towards Nimamhiemin Road. The quality is very good, clean, and inexpensive.

Finally I got the chance to taste the upstairs restaurant "my vietnamese food" and though I can understand how one may like that one but I'm still sticking with the downstairs on "Saigon Oi"

As I had suspected the "my vietnamese" is tailored to thai taste, infact most of the vietnamese restaurant are influenced by Laos-Vietnamese and even Issan-vietnamese.

However Saigon Oi is straight from ho chi minh city formerly known as Saigon. Take for example, the noodle used in "my vietnamese" can normally be found in thailand but take a look at the noodle from "saigon oi" it is almost identical to the ones found in southern vietnam.

Born in raised in Garden Grove, CA (largest viet population outside of Vietnam) I can concur that the style of food at "saigon oi" is more authentic. I have met a few vietnamese immigrants (from southern vietnam) has agreed with me

Now thats not to say authentic always taste better, but the select few that are looking for authentic saigon oi is the place.

I'm not gonna argue which taste better as our taste buds are all slightly different.

So each to their own but I highly suggest trying both places if your vietnamese food is your thing and decide for yourself. smile.png

Seesip, I agree the kitchen can be slow at times.

I love Vietnamese beef noodle soup ("pho"), and Northern Virginia has some great pho restaurants. They all use flank steak, sliced very thin. My experience in Chiang Mai is that the beef is chewy and without flavor. Please tell me that these shops identified above are now using "kho-khun" beef!!!

I love Vietnamese beef noodle soup ("pho"), and Northern Virginia has some great pho restaurants. They all use flank steak, sliced very thin. My experience in Chiang Mai is that the beef is chewy and without flavor. Please tell me that these shops identified above are now using "kho-khun" beef!!!

I've seen a few members mention they are from Northern Virginia. How many [ex]-CIA agents do we have amongst us???whistling.gif

Northern VA is also the "silicon valley" of the East Coast. Many large tech companies headquartered there. That's why I lived there for 10 years before resettling in Chiang Mai.

Also, attached is a timely pic from my Facebook feed. Beef pho from Pho 75. Also note the american Sriracha sauce!

-Mestizo

post-16307-0-93483500-1348912815_thumb.j