Metal Grille Sought

ianh68

I've got an awkward dip in the soi outside our front gate, too deep for a car to traverse easily. I need some sort of cover (metal grille?) I can lay down over it when we drive in and out. Any suggestions where I might locate something suitable? I live in Pakkred but visit Bangkok frequently.

We're not here long enough to merit building works such as cement infill. Also the dip includes a communal drain.

Thanks.

post-67367-0-92557300-1348551569_thumb.j

post-67367-0-05268500-1348551633_thumb.j

post-67367-0-98192600-1348551689_thumb.j

Go to a steel stockholders a quite large place - small factory unit type thing, not those selling out of a townhouse. And they usually fabricate stuff.

The question is will someone nick it though to sell as scrap.

Thanks. We would only lay the grille down while moving the car in and out, then return it to our front yard. I like your suggestion of a steel stockholders, next question is how to find one?

Just pour some concrete on it, use some boards to keep it separated at the edges, use some pvc pipes to keep the holes and form drain groove while it's drying.

I think concrete poured that thinly (looks like about 50mm at most) will break up without some reinforcing.

Just pour some concrete on it, use some boards to keep it separated at the edges, use some pvc pipes to keep the holes and form drain groove while it's drying.

I think concrete poured that thinly (looks like about 50mm at most) will break up without some reinforcing.

If in doubt stick a bit of chicken wire or thin rebar in there too. Doesn't need to last forever, the next time the jail crew comes to clean the drains they will probably smash it up anyways.

106 baht for a bag of cement, 40 baht for some steel rods cut to length and some sand from a local house build and you are set.

A thick piece of timber would do just as well.

Or several thin pieces........:)

If you do go for the plate option, secure it with expanding bolts and round the edges of the bolts when tightened down. Not 100% fool-proof, but it will make them think if someone tries to half-inch it.

The only problem I can see here, is to many engineers. They can make a small problem into a major one.

Have to agree here. I'm not interested in the cement option as I tried to indicate in the OP. I said also that pilfering is not an issue as the covers would be relocated back in the yard out of sight after use.

Still, plenty of responses with real gold dust among them so thanks to all concerned.

Why don't you get a sexy maid to come out when you are due back to put some wood on it, then she can pick it up after you drive across it? Everything is cheap in Thailand. if she is a good maid she will be able to multi-task.