Thai Convicted Of Sexual Assault In Australia.

Rapist jailed for student attack, faces likely deportation

A Thai man who raped a young student in her university apartment has been sentenced to more than four years jail, and is likely to be kicked out of the country upon release.

Amorn Punna-Ophasi, 24, was sentenced this morning for repeatedly forcing himself on a woman in her student apartment in December 2009.

The pair, who had never met before, were drinking with two mutual friends before the sexual assault.

The two friends left, before Punna-Ophasi attempted to force himself on the woman. She locked herself in her room, which was only accessible by a swipe card.

The court heard Punna-Ophasi then tricked his victim into thinking he had left.

She opened the door and the offender again forced himself on her, forcing intercourse despite her pleas to stop.

Read more: http://www.canberrat...l#ixzz28aEDvod3

footer_n.gif2012-10-05

A truly vile man without the capacity to control his violent sexual urges will spend quality time in an Aus gaol and be ejected back into Thailand with the distinct potential to re-offend. In civilized society, what are the alternatives? How do we prevent such a person doing this to another innocent person? We need , all of us, to think very hard about what can and should be done to prevent this monster from entertaining his sick fantasies and keep our sons and daughters safe. Very frustrating story...sometimes the rule of law doesnt seem to be enough, dont you think? How do we maintain civility and yet deal adequately with this sort of situation? a genuine dilemma? I have to admit to having strong feelings for the need for vengeance, including doing serious damage to this man, yet I know this is wrong and know that it is abhorrent to most...is it only me who feels like this?

Very lenient.

If bail was denied and he was on remand, he might well have walked out of the courtroom.

I don't know about the ACT. But in NSW they are given a set minimum, usually around 2/3rd of their sentence.

His sentence was 4 years. Will likely serve 2-3. If locked up since 2009 than he'll be dining on Somtam and oogling drunk female farang tourists in Phuket in no time.

Wonder what urges he has, and what feelings he was towards Western women now....

Guess no affordable bargirls there for him to relieve his urges.

you are aware that it is generally foreigners who go for the bar girls, aren't you?

A Thai in Australia. What would you call him?

A sexpat ...... but they're not ALL like that. :)

A truly vile man without the capacity to control his violent sexual urges will spend quality time in an Aus gaol and be ejected back into Thailand with the distinct potential to re-offend. In civilized society, what are the alternatives? How do we prevent such a person doing this to another innocent person? We need , all of us, to think very hard about what can and should be done to prevent this monster from entertaining his sick fantasies and keep our sons and daughters safe. Very frustrating story...sometimes the rule of law doesnt seem to be enough, dont you think? How do we maintain civility and yet deal adequately with this sort of situation? a genuine dilemma? I have to admit to having strong feelings for the need for vengeance, including doing serious damage to this man, yet I know this is wrong and know that it is abhorrent to most...is it only me who feels like this?

“I have to admit to having strong feelings for the need for vengeance, including doing serious damage to this man.” Or a rapist?

Both violent crimes. If it was me I would lock you both up till you convinced a professional that the violent tendencies were under control.

Both violent crimes. If it was me I would lock you both up till you convinced a professional that the violent tendencies were under control.

That is the point you dolt, I have mine under control-seems you either deliberately misunderstand or dont have the capacity to.

• Like 1

That is the point you dolt, I have mine under control-seems you either deliberately misunderstand or dont have the capacity to.

Well, if someone told me, " I have to admit to having strong feelings for the need for vengeance, including doing serious damage to this man" I can read English. Strong Feelings is strong feelings. Substitute rape for damage and you get the idea. You are both sick. If a man admits on a public INTERNET forum that he has strong feelings towards vengeance and violence with a person he has never met. I'd lock him up. I think you both need help. You may be a nice guy but that is not normal. Vigilante violence and public hanging went out a while back.

you are aware that it is generally foreigners who go for the bar girls, aren't you?

Yes foreigners go for the bar girls, but that doesn't mean that most prostitution in Thailand is foreign-oriented. Most experts claim that most prostitutes in Thailand are for the domestic market. This quote is from Stickman, but it just echoes what most other sources say:

On one occasion, a group of Thai male English language students, aged 20 - 30, took the writer on a "sight-seeing" tour of Samrong whereby they pointed out to me many of the barber shops, coffee shops, massage "shops", karaoke bars, "sing-a-song girl" bars and gentlemen's clubs and "short-time" motels where sexual services were available at a cost ranging from 250 baht to 1,500 baht.

The students pointed out 17 such premises and told me that there were more. I would never have picked many of the "shops" to be brothels.

The students indicated to me that it is quite acceptable for Thai men, married and unmarried, to visit prostitutes. They told me that Thai women are aware their husbands and boyfriends visit prostitutes.

The students advised me that the ground-rules for visiting prostitutes are;

1 Never patronise a brothel in one's own neighbourhood

2 Never be seen in public with a prostitute

3 Never talk about it

4 Never fall in love with a prostitute

The students told me that Thai people do not understand why "farang" demean themselves by being seen in public with prostitutes.

Yes foreigners go for the bar girls, but that doesn't mean that most prostitution in Thailand is foreign-oriented. Most experts claim that most prostitutes in Thailand are for the domestic market. This quote is from Stickman, but it just echoes what most other sources say:

On one occasion, a group of Thai male English language students, aged 20 - 30, took the writer on a "sight-seeing" tour of Samrong whereby they pointed out to me many of the barber shops, coffee shops, massage "shops", karaoke bars, "sing-a-song girl" bars and gentlemen's clubs and "short-time" motels where sexual services were available at a cost ranging from 250 baht to 1,500 baht.

The students pointed out 17 such premises and told me that there were more. I would never have picked many of the "shops" to be brothels.

The students indicated to me that it is quite acceptable for Thai men, married and unmarried, to visit prostitutes. They told me that Thai women are aware their husbands and boyfriends visit prostitutes.

The students advised me that the ground-rules for visiting prostitutes are;

1 Never patronise a brothel in one's own neighbourhood

2 Never be seen in public with a prostitute

3 Never talk about it

4 Never fall in love with a prostitute

The students told me that Thai people do not understand why "farang" demean themselves by being seen in public with prostitutes.

Give credit where credit is due. The above is from, http://www.stickmanb.../reader291.html

Edited by chiangmaikelly

In civilized society, what are the alternatives? How do we prevent such a person doing this to another innocent person?

'Civilized' is just a made-up word. In todays' overpopulated world, there is only one surefire method: look after the victim, take care of the perp.