Department Of Special Investigation Cracks Down On Online Traders: Thailand

webfact

DSI cracks down on online traders

The Nation

30192540-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) seized fake branded products sold online in two separate raids.

DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said yesterday that the first raid, on a house in Bangkok's Thung Khru district, led to the arrest of one male suspect and the seizure of 540 fake wristwatches worth Bt2.5 million that were sold via the www.pimwin.com and www.nongpimshop.com websites.

A second search, of two houses on Ram-Indra Road, yielded 366 branded goods worth Bt1 million that were sold via www.n2kshop.com and www.facebook.com/shopN2K. DSI investigators found that the websites, operated since 2008, had 3 million viewers and earned up to Bt1 million every month.

Tarit said Thailand was trying really hard to crack down on intellectual property infringement after being on the US' Priority Watch List for five years now.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-18

"Tarit said Thailand was trying really hard to crack down on intellectual property infringement after being on the US' Priority Watch List for five years now".

Only 5 years? Clearly Thailand cares a lot about the US Priority watch list. Is there a US Priority hand bag list?

Let me see, 540 fake watches worth 2.5 million Bt. That's 4629 Bt each. Man that's expensive for a fake watch. I have gotten a lot of them for friends back in the real world for a lot less.

The only time I paid more was for a high quality fake Ro***x with a good thick gold plating from Thaiwan and a good jewled movement from Switzerland. I even had a jeweler I know in the real world look at it and he was impressed. A friend with an older real Ro***x offered to trade me even and I turnded him down because mine looked better and kept better time. Ten years on and it still looks good and works fine.

Oh well, a total value of perhaps 4 million Bt is less than 4 weeks of profits on the various web sites. No big deal.

540 fake watches worth 2.5 million Bt. That's 4629 Bt each. Man that's expensive for a fake watch

Well they had to make their bust look worthwhile considering a recent bust in Pattaya quoted the sellers saying they bought the watches at a border market for 200 - 500 Baht each.

"Tarit said Thailand was trying really hard to crack down on intellectual property infringement after being on the US' Priority Watch List for five years now".

Not trying hard enough evidently, there's plenty of market stalls open all over Bangkok openly selling fake merchandise. Places like MBK, Panthip, Pratunam and Platinum Mall are full of the stuff.

Why is everybody picking on fake goods? Have you never bought a fake watch or handbag, shirt or jeans? Did you never watch a copied DVD or used software from Phanthip?

No, I only buy authentic designer goods on my shopping sprees to Burmathumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Why is everybody picking on fake goods? Have you never bought a fake watch or handbag, shirt or jeans? Did you never watch a copied DVD or used software from Phanthip?

And what is wrong about that?

That's still genuine stuff, in Los.

But maybe the online traders need to play by the rules:

Pay every month for your insurance, plus do not complain about the 'every year one raid' show!

Rather than being busted, she looks like she is posing for the camera. The Sikh looks like he is also demonstrating some stuff. The www.pimwin.com site is still up and running. So is this just Thai bluster and show effect?

Quite bizarre indeed.

Not trying hard enough evidently, there's plenty of market stalls open all over Bangkok openly selling fake merchandise. Places like MBK, Panthip, Pratunam and Platinum Mall are full of the stuff.

Sssssshhhh!! There may be people in authority reading this thread.....................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Just checked out the website, for pimwin

It's still up and running, someone's not trying too hard to close them down.

Still, wouldn't be giving any personal details to the site for the next couple of days..................wink.png

Edit: Not that I would be anyway; 4,600 Baht for a copy watch is either:

A. A dam_n good copy

B. A dam_n big rip-off

Edited by chrisinth