Anyone Know The Flight Path From Jfk To Bkk (Asking Cause Of This Hurricane)

FuninPlural

So, yea, Hurricane Sandy is making noise in NYC right now and its only going to get worse in the next couple of hours. I am planning to leave from JFK on November 1st (Thursday), but I'm trying to figure out what path JFK to BKK takes, because I'm just concerned if that is parallel to the hurricane's path. Thanks.

The one I purchased is from JFK-->Tokyo (Narita)--->BKK on Nov. 1, flight #5819 /American Airlines

You're actually on JAL flight number 5 it is a codeshare with AA. JAL does not go polar on that route so your flight path will be due north over Quebec over to Alaska. The altitude of the aircraft should fly above the storm or they may modify and fly over Ontario.

Check with JAL for updates, you can monitor inbound from NRT it is a turnaround, so if that cancels then you'll now.

Edit

Should have added check www.flightstats.com look for JL6 departing on November 1, it will be published tomorrow they only do 3 days out, if that departs on time out of Tokyo it arrives same day in NYC and turns around.

Edited by WilliaminBKK

Your flight is operated by Japan Air Lines as JL 5.

In theory the equipment would be in bound as JL 6, NRT-JFK on 1 Nov arriving ~ 10:55 AM and turning around at 13:05.

It looks like JL 5 is departing early on 31 Oct, and is showing delayed for 1 Nov.

You can check flight status on the JAL website.

FWIW, currently JAL is showing JL 006 arriving JFK ~ 40 min late on 1 Nov, so JL 005 late departing JFK and late arriving NRT (on 2 Nov), making for a tight-ish connection - should not be an issue - to AA 5834 (JL 707), assuming that is your 2nd sector.

I think JL 005 will be cancelled on 31 Oct - the 30 Oct flight pushed to early 31 Oct, it seems, so this may lead to some mayhem on your flight as they will try to accommodate WX-ed pax. You might consider checking in on-line as soon as you can, ~ 24 hours prior to departure. If your flight is cancelled on 1 Nov you should be prepared for a challenging journey as it can take a few days to re-accommodate everyone.

• Like 1

I'm not going to lie, this is all very confusing language, but basically you are saying that because some flights that occur before mine will get delayed, that this means mine may be delayed as well?

As it stands, I was going to fly from JFK to Narita. The layover in Narita is supposed to be for 18 hours (which I kind of did on purpose as I love Japan and haven't been there in awhile.). Then I am set to leave Narita on the 3rd and arrive in BKK on the 3rd.

FWIW, currently JAL is showing JL 006 arriving JFK ~ 40 min late on 1 Nov, so JL 005 late departing JFK and late arriving NRT (on 2 Nov), making for a tight-ish connection - should not be an issue - to AA 5834 (JL 707), assuming that is your 2nd sector.

I think JL 005 will be cancelled on 31 Oct - the 30 Oct flight pushed to early 31 Oct, it seems, so this may lead to some mayhem on your flight as they will try to accommodate WX-ed pax. You might consider checking in on-line as soon as you can, ~ 24 hours prior to departure. If your flight is cancelled on 1 Nov you should be prepared for a challenging journey as it can take a few days to re-accommodate everyone.

Spot on, and

OP follow the advice from Lomatopo he is spot on for your ticket from JFK to NRT. The language is very confusing sorry let me explain. American Airlines and Japan Airlines are partners in One World and they also code share on many flights, usually you can tell because it is a 4 digit flight number. You have to deal with JAL.

Depending where your ticket was issued call them, American or whomever and ask for the JAL PNR (passenger name record) you will need it to check in online (it will be 5 characters)

https://www.5931.jal.co.jp/rsvInter/LoginPageDisp.do

https://ag.5931.jal.co.jp/jalint/feeje.do

As Lomatopo said as soon as you can even tomorrow call JAL and ask for seat assignment, if not do it online - be quick and ensure you get a proper seat assignment, JAL wont deny board you. Because there will be chaos with all the displaced passengers the airline will prioritise passengers. There will be a back log of passengers but if you make sure you have a seat assignment the others will be stand by on your flight whilst you will be a confirmed passenger.

Finally show up as early as you can, check in if there is a problem ask to be routed via Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco even London.

Best of luck.

Edit links

Edited by WilliaminBKK

I'm not going to lie, this is all very confusing language, but basically you are saying that because some flights that occur before mine will get delayed, that this means mine may be delayed as well?

As it stands, I was going to fly from JFK to Narita. The layover in Narita is supposed to be for 18 hours (which I kind of did on purpose as I love Japan and haven't been there in awhile.). Then I am set to leave Narita on the 3rd and arrive in BKK on the 3rd.

Two points really:

The airplane you would take from New York/JFK to Tokyo/Narita normally flies from Tokyo to New York, then flies back. So if it is late arriving into New York, it will, in all likelihood, be late leaving New York.

If the same flight is cancelled the day before JAL will struggle to accommodate as many people as they can, but they cannot "bump" you. If your flight is cancelled they will be doing the same, but you may not get onto the flight the next day.

They layover in Tokyo is not particularly relevant - if you cannot depart on 1 Nov you would miss your flight on 3 Nov (the earlier of two JL flights to BKK - you could make the second one on 3 Nov).

Note that you may be able to generate travel credits assuming you are flexible. You can volunteer to travel on a different/latter flight, perhaps one or two days later. In return you would be given travel credits; this is referred to as a VDB, Voluntary Denied Boarding.

I am not familiar with AA/JL/OneWorld's operations, so not sure if you can even check-in on-line? I assume your ticket was issued by AA on AA stock, ticket number, 13 digits begins with 001 if AA stock.

Assuming you can use JAL's on-line check-0in capability, you can check in up to 72 hours prior to departure!

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/quic-i/

Note that some fare classes preclude advanced seat assignments, e.g. "N".

http://www.flyertalk...-booked-aa.html

AA on-line check-in, at T-24 Hours: https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/checkin.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=checkin

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

41592_90119719152_5194750_q.jpg

News 12 New Jersey

Port Authority Update:

Airports:

John F. Kennedy International, Newark Liberty International, LaGuardia and Teterboro airports are closed.

Tunnels and Bridges:

The Lincoln Tunnel is open. The Holland Tunnel is closed under further notice. The George Washington Bridge, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing are closed until further notice.

PATH:

All PATH service is suspended until further notice.

Port Authority Bus Terminal:

All public and private bus service is suspended until further notice.

Ports:

The Port Authority's maritime facilities are closed until further notice.

12 minutes ago

Edited by Nicole79

While the current conditions are interesting, and the near-term forecast is a bit dismal esp. winds, the OPs flight doesn't depart for another ~ 51 hours so I am pretty hopeful it might end up going out. I assume the local conditions - power, employees can get to work - and that planes start taking off from NRT. In any event the OP should have plenty of notice by tracking JL 006 NRT-JFK departing/arriving 1 Nov. Once that flight goes wheels up ex-NRT I'd expect his flight to go out on 1 Nov, but maybe a few hours late.

lomatopo, according to the Mayor, the airports will re-open tomorrow, Oct. 31st. My flight is supposed to depart at 1:05pm on Nov. 1st from JFK. You say I will be taking the same plane that is coming from Narita, but just to verify, when is that plane supposed to land in JFK? Also, I didn't buy the flight from an airline directly, I purchased it from a 3rd party instead. I'm going to call now and see if I can find anything out.

lomatopo, according to the Mayor, the airports will re-open tomorrow, Oct. 31st. My flight is supposed to depart at 1:05pm on Nov. 1st from JFK. You say I will be taking the same plane that is coming from Narita, but just to verify, when is that plane supposed to land in JFK? Also, I didn't buy the flight from an airline directly, I purchased it from a 3rd party instead. I'm going to call now and see if I can find anything out.

The flight from Tokyo to New York is scheduled to arrive at 10.50am 01NOV and then your flight will depart at 1.05pm, two hours on the ground to clean and cater.

You can monitor the inbound www.flightstats.com click route NRT JFK

So, I called JAL and got a live person. According to them (or what they saw on the comp.) things are still looking good. I'm on call waiting with American Airlines now. I tried the old "let me opt for Spanish because there's probably less of a wait" trick, but it didn't work. All I want to do now is choose my seat from NY-NRT, but it seems difficult.

Call wait times are obviously going to be horrific.

On JL, some fare classes preclude advanced seat assignment, unfortunately.

Just use the Flight Status engine on http://www.ar.jal.com/arl/en/ to track JL 006 NRT-JFK on 1 Nov.

JL 006 will (hopefully) arrive at JFK ~ 10:55 on 1 Nov, this will magically turn in to JL 005 departing JFK at 13:05.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1351642464.html

JL 6 is airborne, bound for JFK. scheduled to land a few minutes early at 10:47 local time.

JL 5 (AA 5819) shows as on time departure on 1 Nov, with an early arrival into NRT on 2 Nov.

So I think the OP is in good shape. Personally I would get to the airport at least four (4) prior to scheduled departure, maybe even five?, it will be a zoo and you may not want them to IDB you in favor of other disserviced Sakura flyers, which has been known to happen. If there is any way you can check in, on-line, over the phone, and even get a seat assignment tonight so much the better.

Note that your flight departs from Terminal 1 as it is operated by Japan Airlines.

http://flightaware.c...ive/flight/JAL6

http://www.jal.co.jp...jfk/jfk_00.html

http://www.flightsta...-11-01&x=22&y=8

Edited by lomatopo

I really want to thank you guys who helped me out. My flight arrived and departed on time. You saved me so much stress. and in another 9 hours my flight from NRT should leave for BKK so I will be able to meet up with my girlfriend and not have to worry about how she would fend by herself had I been unable to go. Thanks alot again.