So What Did We Learn From Issarn Farmers Meeting No.6

irrigator

I volunteered to host IFM #6 not knowing what to expect and these are my post meeting thoughts..........

I didn't know any of those who signed up to attend and was, I admit, a little apprehensive.

As it turned out this is a very good group of guys and their better halves and it ended up being a really good day.

I think I can safely say that the vast majority of those attending, whilst being involved in farming, that farming is perhaps not their primary income. I do understand that there are exceptions, Jim.................

What is more important is that through this forum we have all met new people and have new friends. This in a place where we are thin on the ground is important and I would like to thank each and everyone of you who made the effort to come here.

We also learnt that there are some tight asses amongst us. Some who fessed up and those who didn't.

And I might add, there were those who went above and beyond.

If this is going to work moving forward we need to make sure that we all pitch in to help whoever is the host by providing sufficient liquid support as to not put additional stress on the host.

I think these meetings have a real future and my wife and I look forward to attending the next one, wherever that may be.

Irrigator

• Like 1

Oh dear, sounds like the begining of the end,

Shoudnt it be "bring a box party" and a bit of grub for the barbie? seems like some have got into thai ways, out for all they can get free!!

Im no judge cos i wasnt there, but all in all, other meetings seem to have gone ok,,

It is not the end....The fact that I stated some facts should not be the end. There is nothing wrong with honesty,

My guess is that those who have hosted previous meetings have probably had the same issue and it is up to those who have been perhaps less than generous to be fair. I don't think that is unreasonable.

It is up to all of us to support future hosts so that we can make sure this grows, which I am sure we would all like.

Granted, I am the <deleted> who has brought this up but I hope by doing so the IFM's of the future can only get better.

Irrigator

• Like 1

People pace themselves at home maybe, then they think they might get away with a "six pack" at a party. Is that the issue? When I went to parties in my teens and twenties there were always those that sculled their 6 pack and then turned to whatever they could find. It used to get people upset then why not now.

But it is not a game breaker I hope to get there one day, and it sounds like the OP went to a lot of trouble, watching from afar I could see it might be a bit nerve racking.

Irrigator.

I think that it is very good and right of you to bring this topic up and hope that it will be noted by people coming to future meetings.

You went ot a lot of trouble organising the 'Meet-up no.6' so well and you and your wife looked after us superbly so that when I heard that you had had to supplement the liquid refreshment as well I was upset which is why I put the below comment in my note of Thanks.

quote:-

"It was lovely to meet you and your wife and so kind of you both to provide us with such excellent non stop supply of food. After all you had done for everyone, sorry that some visitors under estimated their liquid capacity (or thought they were teetotal!!) and came ill prepared which resulted in more burden on you." unquote.

I am not a heavy drinker but have always been a believer in taking to a party (where we bring bottles) the maximum ammout that I am likely to down and then add on 2 or 3 extra. In this way I hope that at the end of the party, mein hoste, when probably exhausted and with that flat feeling of 'WOW.It's all over.What now', will be able to sit down and drink himself into a stupor to recover!!

Thanks so much again for all you did for us.

We really did enjoy it

AND

thanks so much for bringing this matter up so it will NOT happen again. I hope!!!!

Anthony.

Oh dear, sounds like the begining of the end,

Shoudnt it be "bring a box party" and a bit of grub for the barbie? seems like some have got into thai ways, out for all they can get free!!

Im no judge cos i wasnt there, but all in all, other meetings seem to have gone ok,,

I'm down South, and Thai ways down here at a party is Bring a bottle of spirits. Usually 285, and/or a contribution to help pay for the food.

Well yes Mosha, that happens here to a certain extent, but when we had the farm and the labourers were invited to a party [after being paid,wartered,and fed daily for free from us] they would not contribute atall, not even help clean up afterwards,

On the other hand, if the mrs invites famlily & friends, they always bring something and/or pay for the tophat BBQ and food to be delivered, and will help with the aftermath, I always put 12 bottles of Leo and some chang in the icebox, when this is gone, Mrs tells them to club together and replace it, and they do,

Can I suggest in the interests of a seventh meeting happening at all, that we let this topic slide onto page 2 and so forth?

As a non farmer who happens to believe this is the best, and most disciplined, forum within TV, may I add this post to assist in obtaining page 2. Hopefully in the future one of our family visits to Issan will coincide with a Farmers Meet and I get to meet you guys in person.

Dave.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. IA would like everyone to refrain from replying to this post so it disappears.

IA

I understand your desire to bury any negativity re the last meeting but in an open forum

just the attempt to do so may have the opposite effect. The last host clearly had a problem

with the attitude of some of those attending and had the courage to say so - good for him I say.

Pretending otherwise would be wrong and lets hope the offenders either change their ways or

skip future ones so they are better.

As the OP said

"As it turned out this is a very good group of guys and their better halves and it ended up being a really good day."

That's the positive way of looking at this.

The open discussion also helps others decide if they want to attend future meetings.

Somo,

Thanks for the effort but you have it wrong. If there was a transgression and so far it has only been by suggestion, then it was something that should have been handled within the group that attended either on the day or by PM. Why feed the trolls?

To you and others that contribute constructively to this forum I wish you all luck.

Somo,

Thanks for the effort but you have it wrong. If there was a transgression and so far it has only been by suggestion, then it was something that should have been handled within the group that attended either on the day or by PM. Why feed the trolls?

To you and others that contribute constructively to this forum I wish you all luck.

In Yorkshire the saying is " don't hang your dirty washing in public"

This should not have been a forum post as it only concerns the parties that attended and as IA say's it should have been dealt with by PM.

Let's hope that this minor problem will not affect "the bigger picture"

All the best from Blighty GB (masterbaker)

PS What's happened to PigeonJake. I hope he han't been shot on his long flight home

This is a trickey one.

I kinda agree with the dirty washing angle but and a big but is that it was the host that raised the issue

here and the meeting was born here. He clearly has the right to say what he likes and to suggest no one should respond is not on.

To say only positive things about the meeting is therefore I think not applicable.

Having said that the host is keen on taking partin the next one so it can't have been that bad or perhaps he is looking forward to turning up empty handed :)

This is a trickey one.

I kinda agree with the dirty washing angle but and a big but is that it was the host that raised the issue

here and the meeting was born here. He clearly has the right to say what he likes and to suggest no one should respond is not on.

To say only positive things about the meeting is therefore I think not applicable.

Having said that the host is keen on taking partin the next one so it can't have been that bad or perhaps he is looking forward to turning up empty handed smile.png

This is the real problem. By just saying that some of the attendee's were a bit tight fisted and not naming them you are in effect tarring all who attended with the same brush.

Also, in my experience, freinds who avoid paying their way ignore all hints and moans. It runs off them like water off a ducks back..

Wherever there is a party, anywhere in the world, you always get somebody turning up with a 4 pack and then drinking all the whisky

non illigitimi carborundum

GB

Boys,

I don't give a dam_n that I was short changed by some of those who attended. That was not the point of the post.

What is important, moving forward, is that future hosts don't have the same issue and I believe that having had this discussion then it probably won't happen again, or may, but to a much lesser extent.......

As to those who say I should not have aired the issue in public, I'm sorry, but by doing so I hope that as adults we are not too sensitive to someone laying things out as they are and I don't see any way that this can hurt the meetings. They should get stronger because of it.

That I should have had aired these concerns, as some have suggested, during the meeting itself, is plain daft.....That wouldn't have put a dampener on things would it.......

That said, can I say that this concludes discussion on this topic and let us move forward.

Regards

So....is this all that was learned from the IFM #6??? People drank more than their share?? I was wanting to go to this meeting to meet some people with similar interests and discuss farming...(Isaan Farmers "Meeting") and eat some food. I couldn't make it. Now it sounds like it was just a piss up. I don't drink. If I ever host one of these things you all can bring your own beer and fight over that.

As far as the host..... it's always that way. People eat more than I thought they would and drank more than I thought they would. This is the job of a host .....plan. If you want people to bring their own booze, say so. Not everybody out there is a rocket scientist and can figure this out on their own.

I suppose all the "overconsumers" got in their trucks and drove to their hotel too....right?

My little rant before I am off to bed. :)

As an unfarmer I might add that if i go to see jim or thaimite or that old dutch tossser across te road i always bring a carry out , it is only a common courtesy and ye who fail to bring a lucky carry out for your hosts should rot in the compost !!

• Like 1

As one of those behind these meetings it saddens me to see the non-attending comedians and smurking trolls attempting to see the meetings end. Is that what you lemons want?

I appreciate everyone's right to express their opinion on this, an open forum. I am sure you will respect mine as well so here it is. Take your ever so funny and self-opinionated pontifications and jam them where the sun doesn't shine!wai.gif

So....is this all that was learned from the IFM #6??? People drank more than their share?? I was wanting to go to this meeting to meet some people with similar interests and discuss farming...(Isaan Farmers "Meeting") and eat some food. I couldn't make it. Now it sounds like it was just a piss up. I don't drink. If I ever host one of these things you all can bring your own beer and fight over that.

As far as the host..... it's always that way. People eat more than I thought they would and drank more than I thought they would. This is the job of a host .....plan. If you want people to bring their own booze, say so. Not everybody out there is a rocket scientist and can figure this out on their own.

I suppose all the "overconsumers" got in their trucks and drove to their hotel too....right?

My little rant before I am off to bed. smile.png

All a bit harsh,me thinks!

Cheers

As one of those behind these meetings it saddens me to see the non-attending comedians and smurking trolls attempting to see the meetings end. Is that what you lemons want?

I appreciate everyone's right to express their opinion on this, an open forum. I am sure you will respect mine as well so here it is. Take your ever so funny and self-opinionated pontifications and jam them where the sun doesn't shine!wai.gif

100% spot on!

Cheers