Where To Buy Car Cover?

phuketsub

I need to by a waterproof car cover that will fit a 1995 Toyota Corolla (4-door sedan). Does anyone know of an auto parts store that sells them? I hate to see my ride alternatively baking in the sun and soaking in the rain...any help appreciated...

Hi

You could try Toyota. We got a free one with the car but that was last month so don't know if they would have any for older models.

I have seen some in some in MAKRO but don' t know if they have them for specific models or just one size fits all.

Personally I would not use a plastic car cover, they flap around in the wind and scratch the paintwork and keep the moisture trapped inside that rust just loves.

smile.png

Where can't you buy a car cover, they are everywhere, BIG C, Tesco's, super-cheap, there a place thats just moved from phuket town to the bypass road, up from Tesco lotus, i know it as "ALLIED", outside of it is a big GS battery sign, they sell everything there for every make and model at thai prices, really the best car parts and accessory supplier, as for my car i use "goose fat"

Thanks for your help...I will try the Allied place first...

As for the comments about rust, I have one now that seems to be some sort of Tyvex material...it's good for keeping the sun off, but leaks like crazy and, as noted by Daffy D, creates the perfect conditions for rust..

Britpop, can you tell me is Allied on the bypass road northbound or southbound...I like to spend as little time as possible on that particular stretch of road...

As for the comments about rust, I have one now that seems to be some sort of Tyvex material...it's good for keeping the sun off, but leaks like crazy and, as noted by Daffy D, creates the perfect conditions for rust..

Britpop, can you tell me is Allied on the bypass road northbound or southbound...I like to spend as little time as possible on that particular stretch of road...

if you are coming from central festival to tesco's lotus, straight forward, over the lights, then on the left about 1/4 -1/2 kilo metre, look for the Large GS battery sign, it's quite a newish building, the girls on the desks are very helpful, every time i go, i take a picture on my camera phone of the part i need and then show them it and just tell them the make and model. i've started to do the same in the bars, picture of a bottle of beer, anyway have a look, next would be super-cheap in the auto section

if you are coming from central festival to tesco's lotus, straight forward, over the lights, then on the left about 1/4 -1/2 kilo metre, look for the Large GS battery sign, it's quite a newish building, the girls on the desks are very helpful, every time i go, i take a picture on my camera phone of the part i need and then show them it and just tell them the make and model. i've started to do the same in the bars, picture of a bottle of beer, anyway have a look, next would be super-cheap in the auto section

Thanks a ton...I'll check it out. I do my best to avoid the Supercheap since it's a complete firetrap/disaster waiting to happen.

As mentioned you can buy them in many places how do i know because i am on my 3rd one in about 4 years i have bought expensive and cheap i i cant make them last i thought maybe the wind was the problem getting underneath and tearing the material so the last one i bought about March this year i made some clips to fix cover to the body and keep it tight it made no difference it's starting to go again and this cover was a expensive one with so called UV protection i ain't buying anymore in less someone on here can point me in the right direction on saying all this i believe you can get them made to fit your car and maybe better matierial

As mentioned you can buy them in many places how do i know because i am on my 3rd one in about 4 years i have bought expensive and cheap i i cant make them last i thought maybe the wind was the problem getting underneath and tearing the material so the last one i bought about March this year i made some clips to fix cover to the body and keep it tight it made no difference it's starting to go again and this cover was a expensive one with so called UV protection i ain't buying anymore in less someone on here can point me in the right direction on saying all this i believe you can get them made to fit your car and maybe better matierial

The "UV Protection" sounds like BS marketing crap to me..I am surprised they haven't started selling UV Protection garments as well (please don't tell me if they have)...my take is that if you have an effective physical barrier to photons (equally valid to view it as a radiation wave) then you have "UV Protection":

....personally I wonder whether the sun or the rain is more damaging to the car...

It seems like a lot of people get dismayed about their covers blowing off. I have a real third-world solution to that, which I am sure keeps the property prices in the 'hood...old motorbike tires laid thereupon ...

The "UV Protection" sounds like BS marketing crap to me..I am surprised they haven't started selling UV Protection garments as well (please don't tell me if they have)...my take is that if you have an effective physical barrier to photons (equally valid to view it as a radiation wave) then you have "UV Protection":

....personally I wonder whether the sun or the rain is more damaging to the car...

It seems like a lot of people get dismayed about their covers blowing off. I have a real third-world solution to that, which I am sure keeps the property prices in the 'hood...old motorbike tires laid thereupon ...

My homemade clips did the job no problem i have come to the conclusion that the Sun just weakens the material if you expose nylon type materials and poly pipe to the sun the rays weakens the materials . I think now for me a good quality polish and keep the Sun out off the front dash inside the car is all i am going to do, in places like Australia which has hot sun and uv rays you can buy a custom made matt that fits over the inside front dash and that stops the Sun fading and cracking the plastic.

And clothes with UV protection are readily available almost everywhere

in places like Australia which has hot sun and uv rays you can buy a custom made matt that fits over the inside front dash and that stops the Sun fading and cracking the plastic.

You see many of these in Thailand as well.

in places like Australia which has hot sun and uv rays you can buy a custom made matt that fits over the inside front dash and that stops the Sun fading and cracking the plastic.

You see many of these in Thailand as well.

I must admit i never looked for one maybe i will check that out when i get back to LOS

They don't carry them at Phuket Alai, the big car parts store on the bypass road northbound.

After a bit more shopping around, I finally got one at the Carretex car accessories shop at HomeWorks, opposite the cashiers' station. They have three grades of protection, I took the middle one which it is claimed stops 90% of "heat reflection" (I assume they mean heat getting into the car), and blocks 100% of UV rays and water.

The product's official name is Carretx Extra Silver PVC Plus Carcover

The cost was just under 2,000 baht, but when I started hemming and hawing the guy let me use his own purchase card to get a 10% reduction.

It seems pretty substantial and is a lot heavier than the one it replaces. It seems like a pretty good insurance, since I can't yet afford to build a covered car port for the vehicle, but of course only time can tell.post-40708-0-04951500-1352102006_thumb.j

Edited by phuketsub

They don't carry them at Phuket Alai, the big car parts store on the bypass road northbound.

After a bit more shopping around, I finally got one at the Carretex car accessories shop at HomeWorks, opposite the cashiers' station. They have three grades of protection, I took the middle one which it is claimed stops 90% of "heat reflection" (I assume they mean heat getting into the car), and blocks 100% of UV rays and water.

The cost was just under 2,000 baht, but when I started hemming and hawing the guy let me use his own purchase card to get a 10% reduction.

It seems pretty substantial and is a lot heavier than the one it replaces. It seems like a pretty good insurance, since I can't yet afford to build a covered car port for the vehicle, but of course only time can tell.post-40708-0-04951500-1352102006_thumb.j

Glade you got sorted, but good to know about Alai for the future thumbsup.gif

Glade you got sorted, but good to know about Alai for the future thumbsup.gif

Cheers...Phuket Alai is good for parts, but not accessories..it's not really set up for anyone who can't speak Thai so I think your plan of taking a snapshot of what you need makes sense..

.btw, the cover works great..all the night dew just beaded up on it then evaporated in the morning