How Old Are The Row Houses On Sio Chaiyapoon?

infinity11

They were built in 1991 - 1992. I lived in The Village across 3rd Road from 90-93 then, when 3rd Road was being moved and repaved.

It was often referred as a shophouse ghost town then.

I'm pretty sure the move of third road was later.

I moved here in '93 and it was not till a year or two later that they moved third road (to it's current form).

Remember the "chicane" close to the village, and also remember the village losing its swimmingpool to third road then!

If I remember correctly the shophouses were already there in soi Chayapool back then...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

I bought a house in The Village in 1988 when they were just being built. I rented it out from Aug 1990 - Aug 1993, when I left Thailand.

I remember during this later part of this time period, 3rd road was "dirt/graded" and being torn up. I do not remember if they had finished it or not in Aug 1993 when I left.

I do remember the pool in The Village being changed.

Paul Cooper, The Village developer wanted to build in the front part of The Village, but the city had not ever finalized its road plans, so he had to leave it open with the pool and miniature golf course then. Paul did not make a lot of friends, and met his demise in Penang many years ago.

Considering how long it took for Thappraya Road to be finished, it may have taken a few years for 3rd Road as well, as I do not remember it being finished, only in process.

Funny, I could not afford a place in Paul Cooper's other development, La Bella Casa back then, so had to settle for The Village, but now have a place in La Bella Casa.

I think is was 94 when they went up. For about the first year and half only 3 shop houses were rented and i was friends with one of them. At the time it seemed like shop houses in the middle of nowhere and thought they would never rent.

Edited by marinediscoking

The Thai family owning some of the Toyota dealerships in the Chonburi/Pattaya area owns a lot of units there.

Not sure if they actually built the street and sold some, or if they just bought a lot from the original developer...

They sure were not easy people to negotiate with.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

If in doubt, a good guess for a large complex of these type of shop houses in Thailand would always be around 1990-1991. Just like many golf courses.

The huge uncontrolled boom in this type of construction all around the country at that time also left a lot of shophouse "ghost towns".