Marriage Visa Planning

I have read many blogs and the information is good from Admin.

My question revolves around Expatriate work and time planning the event.

I work in Iraq and am limited to R&R time away from the job. I have been married for 8 years this November and have always just used a Tourist VISA.

This will be my last year of work abroad and I need to start the marriage VISA process while still working abroad; is this possible? Time is critical!

IE I wish to arrive in Thailand with a tourist VISA and then immediately get on the next bird flying somewhere in order to obtain my O visa, fly back to Thailand and get required entries. What then? As I will then have about 14 days left to me before I must return to work abroad.

Is this impossible and so it really can only be done after I have completed my work abroad?

Thank You All,

david

David, if you have the documents availabe then you can fly from Iraq to somewhere like KL and apply for a Non-O visa based on marriage. You will need your marriage certificate, copy of wifes ID and House registration, proof of funds. This takes two days usually. Alternative is to take a quick trip to Laos with said documents once you are in Thailand. Query this forum for details on Laos visa run.

If you meet the requirements for a marriage extension, you can enter Thailand on a tourist visa, convert that tourist vias to a Non-O and extned it for marriage in Thailand. You have to do the conversion in Bangkok (I think) and then the extension at the office responsible for the area where you are staying. The cost of the conversion is 2000 baht and the extension 1900 baht.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa. You seem to be talking about a one year extension of stay for "Thai wife" which would require, in addition to a non immigrant visa entry, meeting the financial conditions and can only be applied for 60 days after arrival on such a non immigrant visa and requires you be in country at least 30-60 days after application to obtain the extension stamp and re-entry permits for any travel after that application. Believe this is what you should be planning for after your work ends and you can not do with your current schedule. It would then require proof of 400k in a Thai bank account for a period of two months at time of application. Conversion to the non immigrant visa entry could be made in Thailand if you can not obtain for entry at an additional cost of 2,000 baht (with proof of financials without time in account requirement).