Electric Conductor Size Vs. Distance

User3

The cable size should be printed onto the cable sheath at regular intervals. Here are some ratings.

Current rating of a cable depends on the method of installation. An increase in current for any given length will increase the percentage voltage drop.

10sqmm unenclosed, single circuit configuration, single phase 63A. enclosed (eg. in conduit) rating 50A. Ambient temp 40C max.

16sqmm unenclosed, single circuit configuration, single phase 80A. enclosed ( eg. in conduit) rating 63A. Ambient temp 40C max.

Source AS3000.

Do you know the route length of the mains from the metering point to the swirchboard?

I looked at the main cable at the meter and on the black sheathing that encloses the two power wires it says '2 x 10' which I assume to be 2 conductors of 10mm2 cable. It's not a very upscale housing development so makes sense that they would put in the smaller size.

As a note, when I asked the housing project office to check and see what size the cable was I was told "35mm".

Off to get my 50 A RCBO.

Length of the mains? jeez, I'd say about 60 feet or so. Just a guess though.

Do you know the route length of the mains from the metering point to the swirchboard?

I looked at the main cable at the meter and on the black sheathing that encloses the two power wires it says '2 x 10' which I assume to be 2 conductors of 10mm2 cable. It's not a very upscale housing development so makes sense that they would put in the smaller size.

As a note, when I asked the housing project office to check and see what size the cable was I was told "35mm".

Off to get my 50 A RCBO.

Length of the mains? jeez, I'd say about 60 feet or so. Just a guess though.

Therefore your existing mains size is 2 x10sqmm.

The advice you were given was therefore incorrect. 35sqmm may be the minimum for new developments, and this would be aluminium not copper conductor. Again current rating depends on method of installation and voltage drop.

There is no problem with voltage drop for this distance, about 18 to 20metres.

Edited by electau