Phuket Big Buddha Pickup Truck Flips In Karon, 8 Injured

webfact

Phuket Big Buddha pickup truck flips in Karon, 8 injured

Phuket Gazette

t.jpeg

The driver and his seven passengers were en route to the Big Buddha monument in Chalong when the accident occurred. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: Eight people were injured this morning when a pickup truck converted into a small bus flipped onto its side while descending Karon Hill.

Phuket City Police Capt Thada Sodarak told the Phuket Gazette that the accident occurred at about 10 am near the sharp “Sator Curve” while the vehicle was descending the hill heading towards Chalong Circle.

Officers arrived at the scene to find a white Isuzu pickup emblazoned with “Phuket Big Buddha Association” lying on its side.

“Not far from the vehicle we found the driver and seven passengers still on the road,” Capt Thada said.

“The pickup was heading from Karon to the Big Buddha [monument] in Chalong,” he added.

Police believe the driver lost control on the sharp curve because the road was slippery.

”The driver could not control the vehicle, and so it flipped over,” Capt Thada said.

All eight injured were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

Police are questioning witnesses and collecting evidence to identify the exact cause of accident.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ured-19558.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-26

Just no driver experience. No comprehension in use of gearbox to slow vehicle down, they just hit the brake pedal. See it all the time on Patak Road hills.

Well, good it happened there. I can imagine what would happen with the same driver and the same circumstances going downhill from Big Buddha.

Just no driver experience. No comprehension in use of gearbox to slow vehicle down, they just hit the brake pedal. See it all the time on Patak Road hills.

I used to live across from where this accident happened. I have seen lot of vehicles flipped on that stretch over the years. It's a downhill decreasing radius curve that most drivers take at full throttle. I once had an airport taxi overtake me on that blind curve. I was going the same direction as the Big Buddha truck and was turning right into my driveway across traffic. I had signaled early and crept over the line a bit to try to discourage him, but he did it anyway using both on-coming lanes to do so, narrowly avoiding a head on with a guy on a Harley who very nearly got forced into the ditch. These Thai drivers (and many farangs who have adopted the same driving habits) are absolutely insane. No fear of death or of killing/maiming people whatsoever. All about face and getting there as quick as possible.

• Like 1