Urgent Wake-Up Call For Koh Samui

webfact

Well thanks Gulf Sailor and all other posters. I wonder if you had time to come to the Hotel that I work for and explain how this is possible and advise the Thai staff that do pay tax how you can save them some cash. Obviously our HR and Accounting departments are missing some informed advice. Pleas PM me with a time you would be available, I am sure compensation would be available for your time.

No need for that.

All information is here.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

I deduct for my wife, child and her elderly father now.

I deduct 75.000 baht from my income.

• Like 1

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thanks Gulf Sailor and all other posters. I wonder if you had time to come to the Hotel that I work for and explain how this is possible and advise the Thai staff that do pay tax how you can save them some cash. Obviously our HR and Accounting departments are missing some informed advice. Pleas PM me with a time you would be available, I am sure compensation would be available for your time.

No need for that.

All information is here.

Thanks

But you are all missing the point I was making about distributing government budgets according to taxpayers rather than registered voters.

It was an suggestion to improve the current situation as per the original post. If I needed tax advice I would consult someone who actually knew something.

Just for the record I have worked for a major hotelier in the region for a lot of years, and my wife is Director of HR for same.

I'm trying to make point here.

First you must make 150.000 / year to pay taxes.

Some simple deductions for me.

Taxpayer (and a partner of non-juristic partnership of body of persons) = 30,000 baht for the taxpayer

Spouse = 30,000 baht for the taxpayer (only one for me)biggrin.png

Child allowance = 15,000 baht for each (limited to three children) (only one for me)

Parents allowance = 30,000 baht for each of taxpayer’s and spouse’s parents if such parent is above 60 years old and earns less than 30,000 baht (only one for me)

So I must make 225.000 / year to pay any taxes.

That's 18.750 baht / month.

I still say that 95% of all Thais don't pay any personal income tax, social security off course, but not tax.

No need for that.

All information is here.

Thanks

But you are all missing the point I was making about distributing government budgets according to taxpayers rather than registered voters.

It was an suggestion to improve the current situation as per the original post. If I needed tax advice I would consult someone who actually knew something.

Just for the record I have worked for a major hotelier in the region for a lot of years, and my wife is Director of HR for same.

Your suggestion to allocate funds, based on taxpayers was criticised, because funds would even be more unevenly distributed as they are now. The reason being that most people don't earn enough taxable income to pay tax. And with the new tax system next year, even less will do so. Too bad Poorsucker just pointed you to RD site, as I was about to take you up on your offer to do some paid tax advice for your staff. Ask any staff you know in the hotels, who prepares their pnd91. Probably the hotel accounting. Are they aware how many children the staff have? Are their parents working or retired? Is their husband/wife working? Any new 1st car purchased this year? As said with all the deductions only senior staff make enough to actual be liable for tax. And again, don't confuse social security with tax.

Taxpayer (and a partner of non-juristic partnership of body of persons) = 30,000 baht for the taxpayer

Child allowance = 15,000 baht for each (limited to three children) (only one for me)

Parents allowance = 30,000 baht for each of taxpayer’s and spouse’s parents if such parent is above 60 years old and earns less than 30,000 baht (only one for me)

I still say that 95% of all Thais don't pay any personal income tax, social security off course, but not tax.

Koh samui is in a very poor state.How can people even argue against this statement? I have lived here many years and yes i cope with it, its fine with me. But anyway its basicly a lawless place as long as drugs are not involved. The soil is so wasted that the event of drinking tapwater will probaly happen earlier in Calcutta. Roadmaintanace is a nono, its not lack of labours(mostly southern ppl in their best years :-) ) but lack of funds from Bangkok.The human sweepers do a great job but they have no concrete, tools or money to fix the potholes they see daily.No disrespect to the ambulance service but it seams only to be run by the hospitals on the island.No buses, no big sportarena that can host large event in a safe way and i have to say that covering up tragic events happening on or regarding the island is not good

I dont write this to complain as i said earlier just to say that samui needs a wake up call. A big one or this is ending no good for so many people relying on the tourist flow.

Chao samui people are very proud people.Its not an easy task!

Cheers

• Like 1

The Taliban came ans asked us for money for refuse collection. My reply was, where do we put our rubbish? Is there a bin provided? no. So where? Don't know. Where do you put it? I post it back to England. Ok, goodbye. In all honesty I actually put it at the court house bins. We actually separate the recyclable for the local freelancers which leaves minimal actual waste. Always find they are most gracious when i show them 2 big bags of cleaned plastic waste to whisk away to way in. I prefer that, at least I know some people working their arse off get some benefit from my waste. Nothing against anyone that does pay the Taliban though lol.

The Taliban came ans asked us for money for refuse collection. My reply was, where do we put our rubbish? Is there a bin provided? no. So where? Don't know. Where do you put it? I post it back to England. Ok, goodbye. In all honesty I actually put it at the court house bins.

So you put it somewhere and it is collected. Do you not feel morally obliged to contribute toward the service?

• Like 2

The Taliban came ans asked us for money for refuse collection. My reply was, where do we put our rubbish? Is there a bin provided? no. So where? Don't know. Where do you put it? I post it back to England. Ok, goodbye. In all honesty I actually put it at the court house bins. We actually separate the recyclable for the local freelancers which leaves minimal actual waste. Always find they are most gracious when i show them 2 big bags of cleaned plastic waste to whisk away to way in. I prefer that, at least I know some people working their arse off get some benefit from my waste. Nothing against anyone that does pay the Taliban though lol.

So at 30 baht a month you expect your own bin? Get real.

Pay the money and you can legally deposit your rubbish in any green bin or collection point. Your feeble excuse for not paying is just that. You are using the service and cheating - no other way to see it. Unfortunately there are a lot more like you.

Sadly you seem proud of your efforts.

Do you live in Afganistan?

I think AlfGarnet was trying to be a bit funny there.... in the first part of his statement (perhaps some of you are not old enough to remember the real Alf Garnet !!!? Brit comedy at it's best!! ) wink.png

It amazes me how many people don't separate out the recycling items...sad.png and save the "dumpster divers" having to sort through everything...bah.gif There is always someone willing to take recycling away...thumbsup.gif to make a few extra baht...

Having said that, now the election is over, perhaps the garbage collection will get back to normal ??? ....

It's plainly obvious where to put your garbage.... but it may not be on your door step!!!

This is the pile that partially got burned a week or so ago, now heaped up again... There were some bins there before....most of them got burnt .... whistling.gif

post-85461-0-93691600-1356320182_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy

30bht for rubbish collection?even 60 baht,no wonder the island administration has n't got enough money.

I have to agree. Even at 60 baht per month it is a very small price to pay. thumbsup.gif

I still do not understand why so many 'rich' farangs do not pay it. According to the guy who collects the money - I am the only one paying out of the 40 properties there. All foreign owned.sad.png

They quite possibly don't know how or where to pay. No one would shy away from paying such a nominal sum, its just a case of knowing how and where to go i'd have thought.

My rubbish collection is organised but if it wasn't then apart from running outside at three in the morning to meet the refuse truck i wouldn't know either.

the tessabahn [not taliban]

issued me a house book with a number

they know where i live and if they are so stupid that they cant find me and ask for garbage money or even send an account to the registered number they them selves issued

then im sorry

its thier own fault

true visions dont seem to have a problem sending a bill nor the monthly magazine

so the teesabahn has only got themselves to blame

had it been the taliban tho i would probably have paid a yeat or 2 in advance

Edited by samuibruno
  • Like 1

A bit unrealistic samuibruno

For a start, a lot of Thais burn all of their rubbish so they do not use the bins. The department that does garbage do not know that you are going to use their services.

When the land department issued your book - you can bet that they did not walk across the road and say - "hey - another one here - send them a bill!"

It would be uneconomic to automatically create bills for 30 baht per month and then post them. (Which is what True Visions do.) By the way - I did not get a UBC bill for 8 years - they had my address but did not know where the house was. True Vision know that you use their services because you went and registered with them.

As you saw with Alf Garnett- they asked him to pay and he just lied to them.

Sorry but it just seems like more excuses to me or would you happily pay every month if the guy turned up? (I leave my money in my letter box and he leaves the receipt!)

sorry.gif slightly offtopic.gif . nuff said

I am not sure if any of these are teak trees, but if one wanders around the jungle here, you can come across what were once very large trees...

Obviously there long before the coconut groves were planted....

IMG_7072.JPG

sort of reminds me of the wet coast of British Columbia wink.png

IMG_7098.JPG

thousands of large trees were cut down and stolen in the nineties to be used for buildings, disco's, restaurants, the Reggae Pubs' owner was a carpenter...

A bit unrealistic samuibruno

For a start, a lot of Thais burn all of their rubbish so they do not use the bins. The department that does garbage do not know that you are going to use their services.

When the land department issued your book - you can bet that they did not walk across the road and say - "hey - another one here - send them a bill!"

It would be uneconomic to automatically create bills for 30 baht per month and then post them. (Which is what True Visions do.) By the way - I did not get a UBC bill for 8 years - they had my address but did not know where the house was. True Vision know that you use their services because you went and registered with them.

As you saw with Alf Garnett- they asked him to pay and he just lied to them.

Sorry but it just seems like more excuses to me or would you happily pay every month if the guy turned up? (I leave my money in my letter box and he leaves the receipt!)

sorry.gif slightly offtopic.gif . nuff said

the garbage charge should be compulsory [not voluntary] every house book issued should be sent an account [annually]

either thai or not

so again

they have my address as they themselves issued it

its their own fault

they dont seem to have problems sending me mail when theres a land problem ,next door advising me that they will be there on such a date ,at such a time

and yes

if they bothered to turn up at my place for 30 baht

id happily pay them

i would rather actually pay them for a year at a time and save them the monthly petrol cost of collecting the fee

which would be better spent on actually collecting the garbage insted

• Like 1

Thanks for you point, but you are missing mine, in order to claim these taxable benefits, you must first be a registered tax payer.

My innocent suggestion was that central government budget should be allocated by the number of registered tax payers NOT Voters.

And no I am not confusing tax with social security, Gulfsailor. As in order to pay social you are in employment which if sufficient income is gained would result in taxation.

No arguement with who actually pays tax, it is number in registered taxable employees.

If that resulted in the allocation of budget, Samui would be better off. Right or wrong?

No arguement with who actually pays tax, it is number in registered taxable employees.

If that resulted in the allocation of budget, Samui would be better off. Right or wrong?

Wrong, the allocation of budget comes from how many people are registered on a house-book (Thabien Bahn) in each district.

Wrong, the allocation of budget comes from how many people are registered on a house-book (Thabien Bahn) in each district.

I know, if you read again, I am saying it would be better if was done by the number of registered taxable employees then the allocation would be spread more evenly and reflect real population, and mean Samui would receive enough money to help the rubbish infrastructure. (Please note not tax payers but registered taxable employees)

Ahhhh, Samui.

I first went to Samui in 2003. I was supposed to be on Samui for 3 weeks, but I stayed for 7 months. I loved it, a little paradise island.

Fast forward to my return visit in 2008. Oh, how it had changed! More of everything and a different feel to the island.

This year I have been for 2 holidays on Samui and I still love it. Sure it's not the island it was 10 years, its not better or worse, just a bit different, but it is still my favourite place in Thailand.

You guys that live there are very fortunate indeed.

we are indeed lucky to live here and have to keep reminding ourselves,inspite of often grumbling about power,water and electric and too many cars on the island.nice post mjj.

• Like 1

Ahhhh, Samui.

I first went to Samui in 2003. I was supposed to be on Samui for 3 weeks, but I stayed for 7 months. I loved it, a little paradise island.

Fast forward to my return visit in 2008. Oh, how it had changed! More of everything and a different feel to the island.

This year I have been for 2 holidays on Samui and I still love it. Sure it's not the island it was 10 years, its not better or worse, just a bit different, but it is still my favourite place in Thailand.

You guys that live there are very fortunate indeed.

So you can imagine how much lovelier it was in 1993 when I first went there.

I never go back now, as it makes me weep to see what they did to the place.

So you can imagine how much lovelier it was in 1993 when I first went there.

I never go back now, as it makes me weep to see what they did to the place.

So you can imagine how much lovelier it was 1970 before you and your friends came.

The locals still weeps when they see what you did to the place.

Excuse me. I stayed in cheap places that had little impact on the environment. Greedy Thais are responsible for the destruction that has occured since.

Perhaps you should all stop crying and remember that with every negatives the island has seen positives too.

At the end of the day its still a nice place to live no matter who's done what

Please inform me as to the "positives". I didn't see any last time I visited, which is why I never went back.

I doubt the word positive would be in your dictionary. Regardless you'll be delighted to know that no one is going to to force you to come back although since you say that you have never comeback since how can you possibly be aware of its current state. Or do you just listen to hearsay and make a snap judgement?

Excuse me. I stayed in cheap places that had little impact on the environment. Greedy Thais are responsible for the destruction that has occured since.

Off course you had impact on the environment.

You told your friend and they told their friends etc, you created the demand.

So without you there would not have been any "destruction".

• Like 2