90-Day Check Calculated From Last Date Of Entry, Or From Last Issuance Of Visa?

Three weeks ago, on 4 December 2012, I went to Immigration and had my 12-month visa extended for another year. Earlier, on 22 Oct. 2012, I returned from a trip abroad, and that's the last entry stamp in my passport.

During my 4 Dec. visit, I asked officials whether I could now wait 90 days from that date before checking in again, or whether the 90-day check was calculated from the last date of entry. I didn't get a straight answer from anyone (maybe I was short of sleep).

I seem to recall getting caught with a fine some years ago under similar circumstances, and fear that I'm already two days overdue. I really hate the idea of going out to Chaeng Wattana tomorrow not even knowing whether it's necessary, but being reluctant to get hit with a big fine down the road.

Does anyone happen to know for sure what the rules are are in this case?

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

Nothing new - only the first extension of stay counts as a 90 day report.

Procedure and notification

1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

http://www.immigration.go.th/

Many thanks to all for the advice. And no wonder I couldn't get a straight answer from the officials--I must've been short of sleep, and evidently still am, since I panicked, thinking I might already be overdue, when I still had nearly a month on the worst construction.

Thanks again.

4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

My fault, never thought about!

Perhaps I'm still to logical?

I start wondering, they accept leaving, better, arriving back to Thailand as a report. Even in case, it is far before the 90 day period expires.

Isn't that confusing the system? Na, only me, methinks.

I start wondering, they accept leaving, better, arriving back to Thailand as a report. Even in case, it is far before the 90 day period expires.

I don't think it's only you that is confused, but I don't really understand why. A 90 day address report is for those staying 90 consecutive days or more. Entering starts the 90 day period, if you don't leave, you report.

I don't think it's only you that is confused, but I don't really understand why. A 90 day address report is for those staying 90 consecutive days or more. Entering starts the 90 day period, if you don't leave, you report.

Plus its worth mentioning that if you haven't filled in and submitted a TM 47 form for people staying longer than 90 days then you haven't reported. A few guys I know assumed that when they extended their permission to stay that also counted as a report of 90 days just because they were at immi. As mentioned that's only the first time. No TM 47 form, no report. The extension and reporting are 2 completely separate entities ( and at many immis to be done at 2 completely separate desks)

"Three weeks ago, on 4 December 2012, I went to Immigration and had my 12-month visa extended for another year."

A visa extension isn't also a report, at the same time?

That's interesting news, I think!

Sometimes they do accept the address reporting when you are there for an extension, if it is close to your 90 day reporting date. From my experience. Without actually filling out the address reporting form.

whistling.gif Regarding renewing an extension and 90 day reporting ... as someone else posted they are two different things.

Personal experience.

I renewed my extension on 15 October 2012.

My 90 day reporting was due 6 November 2012.

i thought at the time my renewal would change my 90 reporting schedule.

No, was what I was told, report on 6 November 2012 as scheduled.

So that's what I did.

This was at Chaeng Wattana.

Now I am currently in Vietnam on holiday and will return 29 December 2012. (scheduled to be just after midnight)

So I was scheduled to do a 90 day reporting on 6 February 2013., but now with my returning on 29 December my new reporting day should be around 29 March 2013 .... drpending on which date I get stamped in on arrival when I arrive just after midnight on 28 December 2012 ( whether I am stamped in on the 28th or the 29th of December on arrival).

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG