Simple On/off Switch Not Suitable For Fluorescent Loads !

Daffy D

Looking for a simple ceiling fitted pull cord on/off switch for a ceiling ventilating fan I want to fit.

The only place I could find any was on the RS WebPage. One of the cheaper switches stated "This product is not suitable for use with fluorescent loads"

http://thailand.rs-online.com/web/p/lighting-ceiling-pull-cord-switches/2526857/

What can be special about a simple on/off switch that it would not be suitable to use with fluorescent ?

Not that it matters in my case as I want to use it for a fan just curious.biggrin.png

Don't know either. A "dimmer" switch is no-go for F-lights, but unless you switch a LOT of lights don't know why any switch would not be OK. BUT - pull cord switches tend have issues after a while so would suggest normal switch if you plan to use a lot.

I don't know for certain, but fluorescents with conventional magnetic ballasts can have a significant switch-on surge.

If these switches are sufficiently low-cost (read - cheap and cheerful) the surge could easily weld the contacts after a few operations, exit one switch.

An older type fluoro may have a capacitor & will certainly have a ballast. The ballast will produce significant "back EMF" & the capacitor (if fitted) will cause high inrush currents.

The back EMF will cause a spark across the switch contacts as it is being switched off. Both sparking & high inrush currents substantially reduce the life of the contacts, which worsens as back EMF & inrush current are increased.

Forgot to mention you have to click the "Range Overview" tab to get the "This product is not suitable for use with fluorescent loads"

It may be the cheapest in the range but it is a RS Component so should not be cheap and cheerful.

As for load, it's 6amp so should be enough for a room full of fluorescents unless you're trying to light up a whole factory floor. Anyway most of the others in the range are 6amp and they don't have the fluorescent restriction.

http://thailand.rs-o...-cord-switches/

So no real answer from our experts - Do I get a prize clap2.gif

Well, the OP was concerned about a fan but topic mentioned F-lights. Whatever. "Surges" for either would be insignificant and nothing to worry about. And I doubt a "rated" switch will make any diff. Usually the mechanics of the switch will end up being the problem. And pull switches have more problems than simple switches.

I just want to fit a ceiling extractor fan to draw in cool air from outside into the roof space to hopefully keep the house and the roof space a degree or two cooler in the coming summer months.

post-35075-0-14745300-1356874504_thumb.j

There are several power points in the roof space that I can plug the fan into, and instead of running conduit and fitting a new wall switch thought I'd just fit a pull cord switch in the ceiling and save myself extra work.

This has nothing to do with fluorescent lights it's just that one of the pull cord switches I looked at stated that it was "unsuitable for fluorescent loads" and the only reason for this post was to gain some knowledge as to why a simple on/off switch would be "unsuitable for fluorescent loads".

Unfortunately no one seems to have an answer to that question.

Ah! well - it wasn't really that important cool.png

I just want to fit a ceiling extractor fan to draw in cool air from outside into the roof space to hopefully keep the house and the roof space a degree or two cooler in the coming summer months.

post-35075-0-14745300-1356874504_thumb.j

There are several power points in the roof space that I can plug the fan into, and instead of running conduit and fitting a new wall switch thought I'd just fit a pull cord switch in the ceiling and save myself extra work.

This has nothing to do with fluorescent lights it's just that one of the pull cord switches I looked at stated that it was "unsuitable for fluorescent loads" and the only reason for this post was to gain some knowledge as to why a simple on/off switch would be "unsuitable for fluorescent loads".

Unfortunately no one seems to have an answer to that question.

Ah! well - it wasn't really that important cool.png

Actually, I think just about everyone answered to that. Again, pull switches can be dodgy so maybe the warning was just a caveat. If it's not that important, then do what you want and don't worry about it. If/when that fails - then one of the answers above will probably be the reason why. Cheers.

All switch mechs 10A 250V are suitable for fluoresent lighting loads, Manufacturers Clipal, HPM, PDL, Le Grand, National. Some have a 6.3 A rating ( European type) and are designed for electronic dimmable ballast units and fit a Euro type mounting.