Quad Bikes On Farm ..anyone?

Rinrada

Following our recent visit to the motor show we are now looking at buying a quad bike for use around the "farm".what do yous recon/recco.?

We have some difficult access paths and want to start planting on upper levels and would seem ideal with say a small trailor attachment on the back.

Also is a QB classified as a Car or bike for D license...probably would only use it off land when going to village to pick up the beer supplies....

R

If for the farm only a Tak Tak new would be far cheaper and more versatile.

Thanks....obv q ...know about Tuk tuks -Ta Tas --Tu Tas ...but wots a Tak Tak?

Interesting when looking at a new subject just checked the UKs rules on the bikes..

Quad bikes - the rules

Quad bikes must be approved, registered, taxed and have an MOT (if needed) to be used on the road.

Most quad bikes can’t be used on the road because they don’t meet road safety standards. Some quad bikes are tested and ‘type approved’ in a similar way to motorbikes.

These are sometimes called ‘leisure quad bikes’ or ‘quadricycles’. ‘Car like quads’, where the driver compartment is fully enclosed, are treated in the same way as other quads.

These are the only types of quad bike you can use on the road.

Check with the manufacturer if your quad bike has been approved for road use. If your quad bike hasn’t been approved but meets road safety standards you can apply for type approval.

Rules for riding quad bikes

Registering and taxing

You must register your quad bike with DVLA and the bike must have number plates.

You must also display a valid tax disc.

MOT certificates

Quad bikes used on the road need a valid MOT certificate if they are more than 3 years old.

Driving licence

To drive a quad bike on the road you need to have a full car licence or a category B1 licence if it was issued before January 1997.

Insurance

You must have a minimum of third party insurance to drive a quad bike on the road.

Passengers

A quad bike can only carry passengers if it is designed to do so and has the right number of seats. Check with the manufacturer if you’re not sure.

Crash helmets

Quad bike drivers and passengers don’t have to wear crash helmets, but it’s recommended.

Using a quad bike off-road

You don’t need a driving licence to ride a quad bike off-road.

You don’t have to tax and register your quad bike if you’re only going to use it off-road. However, there is an ‘off-road register’ where you can record the details of your off-road quad bike, which could help the police find it if it’s stolen.

Download ‘Protect your off-road vehicle’ (PDF, 360KB)

Agricultural quad bikes

If you’re using a quad bike for agriculture, horticulture and forestry work you need to register it as a light agricultural vehicle.

You’ll also need to get the correct ‘nil value’ tax disc and renew this every year.

Using an agricultural quad bike on the road

You can only use an agricultural quad bike on the road if travelling less than 1.5km between sites where you’re using it for agriculture, horticulture or forestry.

An agricultural quad bike used on the road doesn’t need an MOT, but must be registered and licensed for road use and must have a number plate and minimum of third party insurance.

It will also need lights if it’s being used on the road after dark.....Makes Sense

Passengers

Quad bikes used as light agricultural vehicles should be made with only a driver’s seat. They aren’t allowed to carry passengers.

Don't agree with Jim on this one.

I've got a Quad, 420cc Honda 4X4, had a 2 wheeled Kubota, (Tak-Tak) and have a 4 wheel kubota tractor.

The Quad is the handiest thing I own, here's a picture of it when we were putting up blown down trees from a typhoon a year and a half ago. The ground was way to wet for any kind of tractor to get in without ripping up the ground. The quad went everywhere and was worth it's weight in gold for pulling up trees.

As for rules and regs for a quad in thailand beats me. I don't have a plate or registration for mine, it's stricktley a work vehicle that doesn't go on the roads.

The only drawback is to buy a brandnew one here is stupidly expensive. One like mine new is 300,000 baht or more. I got mine second hand from a guy that needed money QUICK so I lucked out

You can find them on this website www.weekendhobby.com

I've recently sold the 2 wheeled Kubota tractor because we had very little use for it, but I wouldn't part with my quad

Ken

post-20966-0-83798300-1356673572_thumb.j

• Like 1

I agree with kwonitoy, I use mine all the time although not as flash.

It's a Konik 150cc and only 2 wheel drive but still has plenty of grunt. Cost 75,000 Baht brand new.

I also have not got it registered or anything like that, but it can go places no other vehicle can and very handy.

Cheers.

post-151257-0-14654500-1356677029_thumb.

I think that they are basically an expensive toy. Good for travelling around the farm when it is muddy and for light chores but not heavy enough for any real work. For about the same or a little bit more money you can get a small 30 HP or so four wheel drive tractor that is capable of pulling a decent size trailer through the mud. My little Yanmar four wheel drive tractor will go through mud that a four wheel drive pickup wouldn't begin to go through. Would I like to have a four wheel drive ATV, sure, but not for the price they get for them.

We also have a two wheel Kubota tak tak but it is useless for trying to pull a trailer through the mud.

ADDED - This year was dry but last year my wife made some money pulling trailer loads of sugar cane out of the muddy fields to the road where a tak tak would take the trailer from there to a weigh station.

Edited by Gary A

I think the best ATV made is Suzuki. They are one of the toughest vehicles ever built. When I lived in Alaska, once you got a certain number of miles off into the wilderness the only ATV's you ever saw were the Honda's and Suzuki's.

I could not find a Suzuki here, and the Polaris's I did see were ridiculously priced. So I imported a 500cc 2011 Suzuki King Quad 2011 LT-A500XPL1 Power Steering2011 LT-A500XPL1 Power Steering, with a winch, blade/bucket attachment, rear mounted 100 liter spray system and a rear trailer hitch. It's a real monster.

I use it when cutting big bamboo poles. If you have ever done this, you know how the poles are all tangled together in the tops and it is difficult to pull them out. I just cut the base, wrap a tow strap around it and use the ATV in 4WHD, with axles locked, to yank it right out, then drag it to where I want it. I also use it for dragging around logs. I use the sprayer to spray weeds and fill it with water for fire control when burning. I use the bucket for moving gravel and manure. I use the blade for spreading dirt and gravel. The winch is just handy to have. By the way, you need ballast on the back when using the bucket and the 100 liter spray tank filled with water is the perfect solution.

I have a 4' x 8' utility trailer for my truck and can use it with the ATV -- no problem. I also designed and had fabricated a small versatile aluminum trailer for the ATV. I often use it to haul poles and fish traps.

Importing it from the US paid dividends. I saved money over buying a new Polaris here. But it was a real pain. As usual, Uncle Sam has his private parts out when you try to do anything, If you want in import and cost analysis, PM me.

By the way, there is no licensing or registration for ATV's in Thailand. Out in the village area where I am, police never bother any vehicles. There are no concerns about driving it on the road. If you are in town, this might be a problem. But mostly, except to go from one land area to another (e./g., hauling poles or manure), I am not on the road much.

Edited by BigBabyJesus

One of the happest days of my ranching/farming career was when the ATV were introduced. We put the horses out to pasture/retirement, until fall roundup came, and used the ATV for working cattle., running fence , checking new births, water, etc. They work fine until you get into the rough going, where there are not wide trails/roads and are virtually cost/maintence free when not in use.

They are not recommended for roping off of as even a big weaning calf can turn them arse over teakettle, when they go the opposite direction to each other. Live and learn as they say.

E-Teck, two wheel tractor multi purpose tool, E-Dan, farm truck with four wheels , self made, usually with a Kubota engine (have to be a one cylinder. Can't really imagine that a Quad is suitable. If your farm has no good access road then invest in developing the infrastructure not in vehicles which can handle the disaster. A good new E-Dan is below 100k

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

yes it amazes me here why they are so expensive and i was previously a farmer in the Ord River we only used Yamaha Grizzly 660 quads with constant 4wd and diff locks ... we had 10,000 papaya trees and towed custom trailers behind for picking days , even in the biggest wet season we never got stuck ....best piece of equipment we ever purchased imo ....

we used quads with a small trailer extensively when i tree planted in northen bc years back.

Frequently they were the only way to supply trees and equipment where it was impossible to get the trucks and other vehicles in.

My one caveat is exercise caution, they are heavy and roll easily. used careelssly a quad can reall mess you up.

Edited by tinfoilhat

I think that they are basically an expensive toy. Good for travelling around the farm when it is muddy and for light chores but not heavy enough for any real work. For about the same or a little bit more money you can get a small 30 HP or so four wheel drive tractor that is capable of pulling a decent size trailer through the mud. My little Yanmar four wheel drive tractor will go through mud that a four wheel drive pickup wouldn't begin to go through. Would I like to have a four wheel drive ATV, sure, but not for the price they get for them.

We also have a two wheel Kubota tak tak but it is useless for trying to pull a trailer through the mud.

ADDED - This year was dry but last year my wife made some money pulling trailer loads of sugar cane out of the muddy fields to the road where a tak tak would take the trailer from there to a weigh station.

i suspect you have never used one.See my post above, we used quads to move all our trees and equipment when planting trees in northern BC, even to the point where we would have them slung in by helicopter where vehicles could not go.

Edited by tinfoilhat

i suspect you have never used one.See my post above, we used quads to move all our trees and equipment when planting trees in northern BC, even to the point where we would have them slung in by helicopter where vehicles could not go.

It's a small world, my dad was a logger in in Pemberton BC, were you anywhere near. Had my young years there. Jim

You're right, I have never had any experience with a big 4X4 Quad. A friend of mine has two of the 2 wheel drive toys and they are totally gutless.

It's a small world, my dad was a logger in in Pemberton BC, were you anywhere near. Had my young years there. Jim

i did a lot of coastal on the island, and spent plenty of time near Williston lake (clearcut visible from space), Mackenzie, Terrace, Smithers even as far as fort nelson, but never Pemberton, mountain biked in the area though

Awful job, but it put me through university.

herbiciding was much more lucrative but a shorter season.

1994 was the last season i worked silviculture, my knees and shoulder were shot.

this is a modernized version of the ones we used

trx500fpe_foreman_2013_12026_r232_______red_front.png?Crop=auto&Width=622&Height=370

http://atv.honda.ca/...x500fpe_foreman

Edited by tinfoilhat

Pretty sure there is some Australian data around that says these things kill more farmers more than anything else. Honda do a safety program there. I have a bit of experience on a Honda 400/Suzuki 370, both off road and on. I have 40 years on motorbikes and these are nothing like. They go like the clappers are pretty unstable at anything over about 70k in a straight line, but will go anywhere and are a lot of fun. Obviously some have experience with them as a work machine, I do not but just be careful and definitely do not go two up.

I said that I had no experience with big 4X4 quads but I have driven one that belongs to my son who lives in West Virginia. I didn't have a chance to see what it would do. I was quite surprised when he hold me that it cost $13,000 US dollars. It is a big Polaris and it has a dump bed on it. He heats his house with a wood fired boiler and uses the Polaris to get firewood that comes mostly from deadfalls on his property. He says it is handier than his tractor and a trailer. I still think that a small 4 wheel drive tractor is a better buy and will last longer. Maybe it depends on how fast you want to go. The Polaris will definitely go a lot faster than the tractor.

I think the problem is Gary that farmers ride around on the quads with one eye on their cows, their fences, their dams, their bulls forgetting they are on an equally dangerous beast. Just a lack of concentration as the vehicle is so tractable and comfortable to ride just gets out of hand too quickly. Fine for whatever manual task you want but be careful toying with it.

I think the problem is Gary that farmers ride around on the quads with one eye on their cows, their fences, their dams, their bulls forgetting they are on an equally dangerous beast. Just a lack of concentration as the vehicle is so tractable and comfortable to ride just gets out of hand too quickly. Fine for whatever manual task you want but be careful toying with it.

My son's Polaris at least has a roll cage so probably safer than most. While I was visiting, the neighbors cows got out and we had a regular little round up. The neighbors in that area are a tight knit group and many of them have quads. I think there were four of them involved in rounding up the cows. smile.png

post-17093-0-16510800-1357013067_thumb.j

Edited by Gary A

My son's Polaris at least has a roll cage so probably safer than most. While I was visiting, the neighbors cows got out and we had a regular little round up. The neighbors in that area are a tight knit group and many of them have quads. I think there were four of them involved in rounding up the cows. smile.png

post-17093-0-16510800-1357013067_thumb.j

Does it have a seat belt? I know from fork-lifts that the roll cage can kill you if you aren't strapped in.

I didn't notice any seat belts but I would much rather take my chances with roll bars than not. There are MANY ways to die and we can't anticipate all of them regardless of how careful we try to be.

I didn't notice any seat belts but I would much rather take my chances with roll bars than not. There are MANY ways to die and we can't anticipate all of them regardless of how careful we try to be.

With a fork, there's a common situation where it would tip over and the driver fill fall/jump, only to be killed by the protective cage. Quad bikes aren't nearly so heavy so maybe it ist an issue.

I bought a clapped out Willy's Jeep to restore with the intention of using it for all the aforementioned stuff around the property.

It turned out so sweet, I don't have the heart to get her all busted up again.

...now I need a quad bike.

post-21832-0-91902000-1357219939_thumb.j

Edited by DLock