Thai Min Wage

kurnell

It's based on how many days they work

If they only work 10 days in a month, they will receive 3,000 Baht

If they work 30 days, then 9,000 Baht

Not sure about that, it's a minimum wage for full time employees. Not casual or part time workers. Don't think an employer would want to pay social security etc for a causual worker.

Maybe wrong, not sure how the law applies, but I would love to have workers who would work for 300 Baht a day. Won't get out of a hammock here for less than 500 Baht, unless they have run out of money for Lao Kow.

My workers earn 20,000 and over a month and am 7 short. Jim

• Like 1

My guess is that these workers have some kind of special skill.

Skill yes, school no. rubber tappers. Husband and wife team last month made 45,000 Baht. You would think I would be over run by people looking to work. Not so, happy to work for a week, make 5,000 to 10,000 Baht then swing in a hammock for a month or 2. Jim

The question is, I truly wonder if the employer will get what they are paying for.

I'll tell you what, from what I have seen, many of these 200 baht a day workers are worth about 120 baht a day. They have ABSOLUTELY no skill whatsoever, which I will never get. How can you paint everyday for a year, and not know how to paint? Somebody answer that for me. Anyway, no need to bash too much, I know better pay results in better workers, let's just hope that happens. Conversely, many of the skilled workers here are actually getting paid far too little.

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1

The question is, I truly wonder if the employer will get what they are paying for.

I'll tell you what, from what I have seen, many of these 200 baht a day workers are worth about 120 baht a day. They have ABSOLUTELY no skill whatsoever, which I will never get. How can you paint everyday for a year, and not know how to paint? Somebody answer that for me. Anyway, no need to bash too much, I know better pay results in better workers, let's just hope that happens. Conversely, many of the skilled workers here are actually getting paid far too little.

Actually, I've read that better pay doesn't translate to better workers unless the pay was so low no one would do it. Motivation and work ethic has to come in there somewhere even at high wages.

I'll take a Cambodian for 1/2 the price of the new Thai minimum wage any day, or even at the new minimum wage.

• Like 1

Actually, I've read that better pay doesn't translate to better workers unless the pay was so low no one would do it. Motivation and work ethic has to come in there somewhere even at high wages.

I'll take a Cambodian for 1/2 the price of the new Thai minimum wage any day, or even at the new minimum wage.

Or a Burmese.

"...if there's 5 weeks in a month they still get the same as a 4 week month , so they worth extra 2 weeks for free"

Will there be many months with five weeks this year?

Hahaha. You know darned well there is never a month with five weeks. That would be 35 days. smile.png As the calendar happens, some months will have 5 Fridays or Mondays or... Because 4 weeks is only 28 days.

Now, in at least the US, some people are paid a salary every 2 weeks, such as every other Friday. Now that would pay for only 48 weeks per year except that in the two months which have 5 Fridays they get three paychecks, each for two weeks and they make up for it.

I have no idea if there is such a variety of ways to pay in LOS. I'd be interested to know if anyone does.

Confusing, confusing... smile.png

Edited by NeverSure

Not sure about that, it's a minimum wage for full time employees. Not casual or part time workers. Don't think an employer would want to pay social security etc for a causual worker.

Maybe wrong, not sure how the law applies, but I would love to have workers who would work for 300 Baht a day. Won't get out of a hammock here for less than 500 Baht, unless they have run out of money for Lao Kow.

why dont you hire some farang!

Now thats funny... laugh.png

I'm that far out there are no farangs, but me and I'm lazy. jim

Skill yes, school no. rubber tappers. Husband and wife team last month made 45,000 Baht. You would think I would be over run by people looking to work. Not so, happy to work for a week, make 5,000 to 10,000 Baht then swing in a hammock for a month or 2. Jim

I always thought rubber tappers get employed only for a share of the rubber they tap, never for money per hour or day. That's how employment of rubber tappers works here where I live. Some get up to HALF of the rubber worth they tap.

I always thought rubber tappers get employed only for a share of the rubber they tap, never for money per hour or day. That's how employment of rubber tappers works here where I live. Some get up to HALF of the rubber worth they tap.

Yes they get 40 or 50% of the take, that husband and wife team do around 100 kilos a day. 20 taps a month [excluding rain ] . Their cut will be 800 kilos, if they can get a family member to help them they make sheet. Rubber prices a crap at the moment, but normally over 100 Baht a kilo, So in theory in a good month they could earn 80,000 baht. If I had workers I would have 2 families working that plantation, too much work for one. Jim

I pay the old guy that cuts my grass 200 bht for 1hr. work. Probably a criminal offense to some TV members.

How dare you...you know the going rate is a bottle of Lao Kho and some leaves from the side of the road, dont spoil the natives, do it for one they will all want THB 200/h...what about some of the the poor old farang pensioners THB 200 is a weeks Mama Noodles for some...tongue.png

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

This abrupt wage increase will come to haunt Thailand. Wage increases are justfiable, if the rate of productivity increases accordingly. Has anyone noticed a 50 % productivity increase in Thailand recently? Well, I haven't.

The result will therefore only be an ever accelerating inflation-rate. (As if it weren't high enough already.) As we all know, the official inflation-rate, that was pegged at 3.5 %, is a bad joke.

Cheers.

My understanding is that it doesn't matter, the minimum wage is 300, be it Thai, Lao, Burmese or Cambodian. I have Thai and some Cambodian staff - they don't get paid any differently based on their nationality, and they are all on salaries above the minimum wage.

The point is that if you base it on the Thai Legal working hours then you are looking at just under 8,000 baht per month.

I pay the old guy that cuts my grass 200 bht for 1hr. work. Probably a criminal offense to some TV members.

Yeah, you're getting ripped off

Yeah, I hear he lives in a mansion in Bangkok and drives out here in his new Mercedes ( grass cutter in the back seat) to rip me and my Thai neighbors off, who pay the same price as I do.

Yeah, I hear he lives in a mansion in Bangkok and drives out here in his new Mercedes ( grass cutter in the back seat) to rip me and my Thai neighbors off, who pay the same price as I do.

Sorry you missed the humour

Sorry you missed the humour

With all the cheap prks in Thailand Its hard to tell. My apologies.