Generators

Gary A

Question for a sparky. A 2000. Watt generator will run a one HP motor but it can,t start it. Would it be possible to put two then together one the same power cable then shut one down after the motor is started?

I hate trying to post with a phone....

Unless you have a way to sync them do not believe it would be practicable - we are talking AC and they must be in the same part of cycle when hooked together. Have no idea if this equipment available for small 2kw use generators at a reasonable cost.

Syncing two small gensets is going to be difficult if not impossible sad.png

What is the motor driving? Is it possible to start it off load? How about spinning it up manually before connecting the supply?

How about starting is on low voltage via a dropper or variac?

Syncing two small gensets is going to be difficult if not impossible sad.png

What is the motor driving? Is it possible to start it off load? How about spinning it up manually before connecting the supply?

How about starting is on low voltage via a dropper or variac?

It's my wife's uncle's submersible water pump. Since I just went through installing my own, I am now am an expert (NOT). My 2,500 watt generator gives a big snort when I flip the breaker but my three wire pump with the capacitor one HP pump does start and run. It looks like he needs a bigger generator. Small generators are much cheaper than bigger ones especially when you already have one smaller one. I'm certainly not an electrician and am confused by the three wires. Would it be possible to hook one up with the starter windings and the other to the full speed windings? I really don't like to sound stupid, but I admit that I am stupid when it comes to this electrical stuff.

Added - Years ago during my working days, I worked with huge presses that had flywheels that weighed a ton or more. Starting those motors were really hard on the belts and the belts slipping at start up made a horrible squall. We bought a product called soft start that eliminated that problem. Is there a product that would work like that with the much smaller motors?

Edited by Gary A

u need a bigger gen set , the starting current although only for a short time is too great for your gen....u could try to increase the size of the cap to make the switch from start to run quicker but i dont think its a good solution ...

If you can't start it off load (out of the water) then a bigger (4kVA or so) genset is the only cost-effective solution.

Small single-phase soft starters are available http://www.joliettec...ft-starters.htm but no idea if available here. There could be issues with using one on a capacitor-start motor, permanent capacitor-run motors are apparently OK.

EDIT I note that the Solcon starter is out of production, got to be a similar product available.

If you can't start it off load (out of the water) then a bigger (4kVA or so) genset is the only cost-effective solution.

Small single-phase soft starters are available http://www.joliettec...ft-starters.htm but no idea if available here. There could be issues with using one on a capacitor-start motor, permanent capacitor-run motors are apparently OK.

EDIT I note that the Solcon starter is out of production, got to be a similar product available.

Thanks for the information. I have sent them an email requesting more information and giving them the details of the situation. I have a feeling that a work around will be more expensive that the proper solution.

ADDED - My 2,500 watt generator starts and runs the one HP pump but to be safer, I think I should recommend a larger generator than 2,500 watt for him. I have taken my 2,500 watt generator home and purchased a 5,000 watt for the farm. My wife runs a number of other electrical things there, including a much smaller submersible water pump (pond) and I was worried that the smaller generator wasn't up to that kind of load. I have run a cable from my workshop/garage to the house for our power outages. I use that cable to power two UPS units and another separate extension cord to power the house water pump.

Edited by Gary A

The old driller's trick is to start submersible pumps with full column pipe against a closed valve. Open it after the motor has started. The idea is no flow = no load = lower amps. It has to be done manually so much not much good for a permanent installation. There also needs to be a check valve at the top of the pump to keep the column full.

• Like 1

The old driller's trick is to start submersible pumps with full column pipe against a closed valve. Open it after the motor has started. The idea is no flow = no load = lower amps. It has to be done manually so much not much good for a permanent installation. There also needs to be a check valve at the top of the pump to keep the column full.

Centrifugal pumps run at minimium amps at no load and no load is at no flow for that type of pump. It's true that if you can fully prime the discharge leg right up to the discharge valve then the starting current (and starting time) will be less Not easy to organise though especially if the discharge leg is higher than the pump.

I have a baby 2000W (max peak 2700W) genset, when I put a decent load on it the motor RPM increase, if no load, it just idles. I thought that was normal. ?

That is probably a premium generator. Most run at a constant speed load or not. The expensive units do go to idle speed with no load. My son does a lot of work with power tools where there is no electric service. When the power tool stops running his unit goes back to idle. Saves noise and some fuel.

To start and run an induction motor of 1.0hp (0,75 kW) output a generator with a minimum output of 4.0kW is required.

Make sure that the generator is 50Hz 220- 240V. If the motor is on a long circuit run you should check that you do not have excessive voltage drop on the circuit. The pump should be earthed.