Family Health Insurance

ozzy111

I get a BUPA international family package from www.pacificprime.com. It's a low premium, high deductible (for expensive emergencies, not coughs & colds etc..). Costs about $1200 per year for family of 4.

Coverage is up to 70Million THB, but with a 400,000THB deductible.

Edited by dave111223
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No need to take chances with these odd offers - talk to the sponsors of the forum over at AA Insurance brokers. Ask for Peter and check the Allianz plans as very good cover and reasonable premiums + they are well know here and you can trust them !

[email protected]

Personally I did use AA Insurance (or Thaivisa insurance as it was then) but I wasn't impressed that the insurance increased more than 15% after the first year (did not make any claims during the year). I have not had any large increases like that while using BUPA.

Edited by dave111223

No need to take chances with these odd offers - talk to the sponsors of the forum over at AA Insurance brokers. Ask for Peter and check the Allianz plans as very good cover and reasonable premiums + they are well know here and you can trust them !

[email protected]

Personally I did use AA Insurance (or Thaivisa insurance as it was then) but I wasn't impressed that the insurance increased more than 15% after the first year (did not make any claims during the year). I have not had any large increases like that while using BUPA.

I am looking at the chart for BUPA premiums right now, every 5 years in age they increase about 15%, you may have just been on a change over point in age ranges, just about every Insurance company does this, also with cars as they get older and parts get harder to source.

Also depending on the plan you are BUPA has daily limits, such as on the Ruby plan room is only covered for 2,500 baht per day, ICU 5,000 baht per day, some other companies do not have these limits, the one I have covers 100% of inpatient costs and was a lot less than what BUPA quoted me.

[email protected]

I am looking at the chart for BUPA premiums right now, every 5 years in age they increase about 15%, you may have just been on a change over point in age ranges, just about every Insurance company does this, also with cars as they get older and parts get harder to source.

No one on the plan had gone over an age gap increase increment. As you said they have price jumps about every 5 years in age, but no one on the plan changed age bracket. This was just a straight up 15+% "inflation" type adjustment.

Also depending on the plan you are BUPA has daily limits, such as on the Ruby plan room is only covered for 2,500 baht per day, ICU 5,000 baht per day, some other companies do not have these limits, the one I have covers 100% of inpatient costs and was a lot less than what BUPA quoted me.

I'm with BUPA international (not the local Thai version of BUPA) so there are no daily limits, it's 100% coverage.

Edited by dave111223

[email protected]

No one on the plan had gone over an age gap increase increment. As you said they have price jumps about every 5 years in age, but no one on the plan changed age bracket. This was just a straight up 15+% "inflation" type adjustment.

The inflation type adjustments you are referring to are when there are an excessive amount of claims by the group the previous year, this is imposed by the underwriter.

The inflation type adjustments you are referring to are when there are an excessive amount of claims by the group the previous year, this is imposed by the underwriter.

Could be, but got nothing to do with me, as we (my family and I) made no claims, so seems unfair that I'd get a 15% hike...and if I was infact in some kind of "group" it doesn't much make sense for me to be in an insurance "group" full of aging expats I've never met...

Edited by dave111223

Could be, but got nothing to do with me, as we (my family and I) made no claims, so seems unfair that I'd get a 15% hike...and if I was infact in some kind of "group" it doesn't much make sense for me to be in an insurance "group" full of aging expats I've never met...

Every insurance companies increase their premiums every year, from 5 to 30%. If yours increased by 15% it's high, but not abnormal.

However BUPA International is well known for being one of the most expensive provider out there, they can be 100% more expensive in some cases. it's easier to control your costs when you sell expensive plans.

Bupa International

Myself Farang Smoker 37 year old

Worldwide Evacuation
Worldwide Medical Insurance
Worldwide Medical Plus

Wife Thai non smoker 27 year old

​Worldwide Medical Plus

Son 2 year old
​Worldwide Medical Plus

Limits..