Leaving Thailand With 60 Day Tourist Visa.

Hi all. Arrived in Thailand with 3 - 60 day tourist visas.

Question is -> can I leave Thailand DURING the 60 days and return without penalty using same tourist visa... or does tourist visa expire when leaving country?

For example: On 20th day of visa , may I cross into Cambodia for 10 days and return without sacrificing the balance of first visa?

Costs, penalties, tips? Any help is appreciated!!

Leaving without a re-entry permit will allow that period of stay to be canceled, and you would have to use the second entry.

Single re-entry permit would cost 1000 Baht, multi would be 3800 Baht, obtain at an immigration office within Thailand before departing.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 1

Thank you beechguy, this sounds straight forward & fascinating.. Is multi open -ended and would it apply only to the first 60 day visa or good for all 3 visas?

Only for that particular entry(first entry), also don't forget that all 3 entries must be made before the "use by date" and each 60 day entry can be extended 30 days for 1900 Baht for each extension. Maybe you can get by without the re-entry permits.

OK, now I'm confused.

I have NO use by date. Only date issued, 21 January '13 and must first enter by 20 April'13. Arrived @ BKK on 7 Feb. How would I leave (even with extensions) and come back without re-entry permit or voiding existing visa or extension?

"I have NO use by date. Only date issued, 21 January '13 and must first enter by 20 April'13."

I believe 20 April is your 'use by' date.

"How would I leave (even with extensions) and come back without re-entry permit or voiding existing visa or extension?"

You can't. If you leave without a re-entry permit, the visa/extension is cancelled.

Edited by TerryLH

OK, now I'm confused.

I have NO use by date. Only date issued, 21 January '13 and must first enter by 20 April'13. Arrived @ BKK on 7 Feb...

That's an interesting tourist visa you have. I've never seen one with the text "...must first enter by...". Where did you get it? Anyway, as it is a visa for a single entry and as you have already used it to travel to Thailand it is now of no further use to you except to copy details from it to your application for a re-entry permit and your application for extension of stay, if you choose to make such applications. What counts for you know is the immigration stamp you got in your passport on your arrival, and from what you indicated this says "ADMITTED 07 FEB 2013 UNTIL 07 APR 2013"

Your intention is to travel to Cambodia on 27 FEB and return to Thailand on 09 MAR to stay in Thailand again until 07 APR or perhaps longer with an extension of stay. All you have to do is go to the nearest immigration office and get a re-entry permit for 1,000 Baht. When you return to Thailand with it, you write the number of this re-entry permit on the arrival form in the space that asks for the visa number and you will again be given permission to stay until 07 APR. See here what the application form for a re-entry permit looks like:

http://www.immigrati...oad/pdf/tm8.pdf

• Like 1

If the tourist visa is valid for three entries into Thailand then indeed no re-entry permit is necessary. One entry has already been used on 07 FEB, the second entry will be used on the return from Cambodia on 09 MAR, and this leaves one more to made before the expiration of the validity period of the visa, which at present we do not know as the OP has not provided this information.

If the "enter by" date on the VISA is 20 Apr 2013, you must use all three entries on or before 20 Apr 2013 since that's the expiration date of the visa. I've never heard of a triple entry visa only being valid for 3 months, usually they are valid for 6 months.

As said all entries must be used by the date indicated (April) or they are invalid so no need to obtain re-entry permit - just use your next entry and make final entry before that April expiration date to obtain your last 60 days and possible 30 day extension if you want it.

If the "enter by" date on the VISA is 20 Apr 2013, you must use all three entries on or before 20 Apr 2013 since that's the expiration date of the visa. I've never heard of a triple entry visa only being valid for 3 months, usually they are valid for 6 months.

Correct, but I have seen Tourist Visa from Savannakhet/Laos and Warshaw/Poland with 3 entries and validity 3 month. Some consulates in the USA also issue Tourist Visa with 3 month validity only.

Hello again and a big FYI to thaivisa.com responders above. The system will not let me quote you all.

http://www.thai-or.com/

The Visas were issued in Portland Oregon. They are 1, 2, and 3 single 60-day visas. Each $40 USD. All visas are on one stamp.

Just because you've never heard of ...does not mean it doesn't exist?

Using 180 days of Visas by April "enter date" does not make senses, eh?

Especially if I flew a in day before the "enter date".

There is NO "use by date". Not one blank area.

If I went to immigration and ask does "enter by" mean "use by"..would I not appear to be insane or at minimum too stupid to travel?

Re-entry permit answer was super helpful. #2. clap2.gif

The 'enter before' date is your 'use by' date (the terminology varies amongst consulates), all entries must be performed before this date or they become invalid.

Leaving the country without a re-entry permit cancels your current entry, a re-entry permit only protects your current permit to stay date. You do not get extra days for the days you are outside Thailand.

This is the way all Thai visas work.

You may wish to post a scan of your visa (with personal details hidden).

You must have about 5 posts before you can attach - so now you should be able to do so. But as we have all told you your visa in only valid until the date indicated and all entries must be made by that date. Yes we have heard of it, and are providing you the correct information so you can plan accordingly. You do not have 180 days of visa - you have 3 tourist visa entries. You do not need a re-entry permit with your late initial arrival and stated plans.

In relation to this Visa.

I am in Thailand on a double entry 60 day visa,

I now have 25 days of my first 30 day extension left.

Today I went to apply for a driving license,all other paperwork is in order,

However I need at least 30 days left on my Visa,

If I cross the border tomorrow,or go to immigration,

will I get my 60 day entry/extension?

Any advice appreciated

You can do a land crossing.

Just leave Thailand and enter the other country and return to Thailand (can be done in minutes).

Be sure you put your visa number on your new arrival card and double check that they give you a 60 day stamp instead of 15 days.

Hello again and a big FYI to thaivisa.com responders above. The system will not let me quote you all.

http://www.thai-or.com/

From the linked web page:

YOU MUST ENTER THAILAND WITHIN 90 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE OF THE VISA

Either that text was put there in error or this particular consulate does indeed give all visas a validity of 90 days, including tourist visas valid for more than one entry and non-immigrant visas valid for multiple entries.

...The Visas were issued in Portland Oregon. They are 1, 2, and 3 single 60-day visas. Each $40 USD. All visas are on one stamp.

Just because you've never heard of ...does not mean it doesn't exist? ...

Seeing is believing. Can you photograph your unusual visa and post it here in this topic?

You say you have three visas, all on one stamp. I suspect you have one visa, valid for "NO. OF ENTRY: 3" (example) or, with a visa from the consulate in Portland, more likely "Good for three (3) journey(s) to Thailand" (example)

Now about the unusual part:

...I have NO use by date. Only date issued, 21 January '13 and must first enter by 20 April'13...

Does your visa really say "...must first enter by..."? If not, what exactly does it say? This is where a copy of your visa would come in handy.

Obviously you used the same tone when you communicated with Portland when you applied for your visa! Maybe that's why Mary onlly gave you 3 months!

Woah..... Are you implying that the consulate in Oregon picks and chooses how she wants to issue fully paid visas?

Sounds like it. I returned here to share with you her SWIFT AND CLEAR email response.

but instead I see more, misaligned arrogant people have joined in, so I will be sharing our responses elsewhere.

BTW ->Each one of you were completely WRONG. WRONG. WRONG and WRONG. On ALL COUNTS. Even the inital question that was first answered was a giant FAIL! Please write your consulate if you need a clear answer before sending other people on wild goose chases. NR

NR. Shouting will get you nowhere, there is a great deal of experience on these forums and many, many posters know exactly what they're talking about.

Consulates can and do indeed pick and choose the validity period of the visas they issue as well as the rules they choose to enforce before they will, you only have to browse this forum to see that. That said it is unusual to see a triple entry TV with only a 3 month validity (was that an error on their part one wonders).

Additionally, many consulates are ill informed as to the entry rules (sometimes actually posting misinformation on their websites), they know their rules for issuing the visa but as to what happens at the border / airport it's often a big ??

I reaffirm my assertion (and that of every other poster who has replied) that if you try to use any entries after the 'Enter Before' date you will be denied and receive only the Visa Exemption entry (30 days) that your US passport allows.

If your visa looks like this ;-

post-14979-0-18831300-1361435044_thumb.j

You must make ALL your entries before the 'Enter Before' date.

If your visa looks like this:-

post-14979-0-78461800-1361433797_thumb.j

You must make ALL your entries before the 'This visa must be utilized before' date. Yes, I know it's a non-immigrant visa, Tourist Visas often take the same form.

Please let us know how you get on.