Renewal Of Uk Passport In Thailand

A note for those of us with multiple UK passports, you now need a justification letter from your employer for any passport renewal. My last renewal was delayed for two weeks because it took HK that long to get around to emailing me to request same, got my new PP 10 days after sending them the letter (PDF by email).

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the instructions, if your appearance has not changed significantly no need for any countersignature smile.png

Read the instructions, if your appearance has not changed significantly no need for any countersignature smile.png

I wonder what they would class as "changed significantly" going a little bald, a few more wrinkles and some grey hair?. For a start for my last passport photo 10 year ago I wore glasses this time not allowed. I got mine countersigned just to be on the safe side even though I do not consider myself to have "changed significantly" Edited by khastan

Where is the confusion and shambles ?

Where would one even begin ?

Just start with the website, wait a moment we are in Thailand...... so do you go to Bangkok UK Embassy website ? Hong Hong UK Embassy website ? or click on the links supplied by said websites ? what ever they all state something different, so even before you begin there is total confusion.....

2 different people that I know in the past few months, never received any info at all, payment had been taken, and many weeks lather still not received there passports............ There present 'old' passports were still as it were valid and there Visa up to date. yet there old Passports had been cancelled.......... what a shambles......

Both cases they phoned UK, but spoke to someone in a call centre in India.......... total shambles...

Both had to go to UK Embassy in Bangkok and get a 1 year Passport at a cost of an extra 5,000 baht + all the travel expenses to get there.......so they could stay legal in Thailand, one guy works and has a work permit, the other was on retirement extension....... total shambles, would you not agree ?

Of course it did not end there as both went to a Thai Embassy outside of Thailand to get some sort of Visa, to stay legal here....., NO a Non 'B' could not be issued on a 1 year TEMP Passport........ so the only Visa they would issue was a single 60 day tourist Visa....... so was he legal ? You cannot work legally on a TR VISA....... total shambles,

Both did get there new Passports, one some 16 weeks later the other almost 20 weeks later........... Who is to blame ? NO they never received anything for all the extra out of pocket expenses

Loads of extra paperwork, Temp Passports costs, travel out of Thailand cost, new incorrect Visa costs, all the extra cost of Travel to Bangkok to Embassy costs, Visits to Immigration cost, Visa conversion cost, and the only Immigration which would do the conversion was Bangkok so all the extra travel to BKK yet again...

the retired guy said was about 18,000 baht extra, the working guy was a lot more because of all the days he had to have off work to sort this mess out...........

As the working guy said he could have made an appointment in the UK and got his passport next day, the cost, headaches, he had for all the months here was never worth it. + it would have work out cheaper..

Ask again Where is the confusion and shambles ? is there any ? for some it is all straight forward, if there is any problem along the way then your screwed

Where is the confusion and shambles ?

Where would one even begin ?

Just start with the website, wait a moment we are in Thailand...... so do you go to Bangkok UK Embassy website ? Hong Hong UK Embassy website ? or click on the links supplied by said websites ? what ever they all state something different, so even before you begin there is total confusion.....

2 different people that I know in the past few months, never received any info at all, payment had been taken, and many weeks lather still not received there passports............ There present 'old' passports were still as it were valid and there Visa up to date. yet there old Passports had been cancelled.......... what a shambles......

Both cases they phoned UK, but spoke to someone in a call centre in India.......... total shambles...

Both had to go to UK Embassy in Bangkok and get a 1 year Passport at a cost of an extra 5,000 baht + all the travel expenses to get there.......so they could stay legal in Thailand, one guy works and has a work permit, the other was on retirement extension....... total shambles, would you not agree ?

Of course it did not end there as both went to a Thai Embassy outside of Thailand to get some sort of Visa, to stay legal here....., NO a Non 'B' could not be issued on a 1 year TEMP Passport........ so the only Visa they would issue was a single 60 day tourist Visa....... so was he legal ? You cannot work legally on a TR VISA....... total shambles,

Both did get there new Passports, one some 16 weeks later the other almost 20 weeks later........... Who is to blame ? NO they never received anything for all the extra out of pocket expenses

Loads of extra paperwork, Temp Passports costs, travel out of Thailand cost, new incorrect Visa costs, all the extra cost of Travel to Bangkok to Embassy costs, Visits to Immigration cost, Visa conversion cost, and the only Immigration which would do the conversion was Bangkok so all the extra travel to BKK yet again...

the retired guy said was about 18,000 baht extra, the working guy was a lot more because of all the days he had to have off work to sort this mess out...........

As the working guy said he could have made an appointment in the UK and got his passport next day, the cost, headaches, he had for all the months here was never worth it. + it would have work out cheaper..

Ask again Where is the confusion and shambles ? is there any ? for some it is all straight forward, if there is any problem along the way then your screwed

That is worrying that they can deduct money for a passport which should mean that all is in order and yet these two people you refer to had problems and a long wait. Have you any idea what the hold up was for?

That is worrying that they can deduct money for a passport which should mean that all is in order and yet these two people you refer to had problems and a long wait. Have you any idea what the hold up was for?

No hold up, the paperwork was received at H K and the money taken for new Passport and the DHL fees, somewhere between H K and the return to Thailand was lost if that was by DHL or in the Passport Office is anyone's guess........

They UK/ DHL then have to do all the checking so as it took so long would think [ only a guess on my part] the new passports were issued and did not arrive in Thailand or to the Passport holders..

My own Passport arrived NO problem on day 23..

No hold up, the paperwork was received at H K and the money taken for new Passport and the DHL fees, somewhere between H K and the return to Thailand was lost if that was by DHL or in the Passport Office is anyone's guess........

They UK/ DHL then have to do all the checking so as it took so long would think [ only a guess on my part] the new passports were issued and did not arrive in Thailand or to the Passport holders..

So once they deduct the fee from your account then you can be sure the paperwork is in order and the only problem then is the competence of the courier they are using.

...if you time it properly you won't need to:)

Depends on what website you read, on one [longest time] it states to allow up to 5 weeks.. No one in the right mind would expect it to take 20 weeks..

Nothing is 100%, so most will get it back no problem.

my last passport photo 10 year ago I wore glasses this time not allowed.

Photo shop man also told me that, I refused to take mine off, must have been fine as got my new Passport + I have glasses on..have worn glasses for 54 years.

I wonder what they would class as "changed significantly" going a little bald, a few more wrinkles and some grey hair?. For a start for my last passport photo 10 year ago I wore glasses this time not allowed. I got mine countersigned just to be on the safe side even though I do not consider myself to have "changed significantly"

Those things you mentioned are considered natural changes, and not considered 'significant changes'. significant changes are things like plastic surgery, facial tattoos.

Thanks for the heads up on that Crossy, I expect I'll have to renew one of my passports in the next couple months since I've only 5 clear pages left in it,, the Nigerian consul use 2 pages each time to place a visa in the passport which has taken its toll,, only 3 years use from this larger sized passport and its nearly full already..

[quote name='Crossy' A note for those of us with multiple UK passports, you now need a justification letter from your employer for any passport renewal. My last renewal was delayed for two weeks because it took HK that long to get around to emailing me to request same, got my new PP 10 days after sending them the letter (PDF by email)

Just out of interest, is there any other nationality that has this cock up shambles of getting a new Passport ?

me being old have had many new Passports in my life time [1st in my early teens], you go into UK Embassy take filled in or fill in there all the info and hand it over, a few days later collect new Passport... You see talk to a person + know there and then that the paperwork is correct...

This idea that you send paperwork to some other Country and still in Asia, that then it is sent on to some printers in the UK, and hope it arrives and gets sent back in my case via Vietnam, how secure do people feel ? you can track paperwork to H.K. only then it is pot luck if and when you receive your new Passport, as you know nothing after it has arrived in H.K., there has been reports before as well as on posts on this thread of people waiting weeks to be informed from H.K. that there is some error on there paperwork..

Maybe I am old school, but handing over to a live person face to face, to me is far more secure than paperwork and new Passports being send from Office to office around the world.by any old Tom Dick or Harry

Fine if Passports can now only be printed in UK, send by Diplomatic pouch from Embassy in the Country you live.

Just out of interest, is there any other nationality that has this cock up shambles of getting a new Passport ?

me being old have had many new Passports in my life time [1st in my early teens], you go into UK Embassy take filled in or fill in there all the info and hand it over, a few days later collect new Passport... You see talk to a person + know there and then that the paperwork is correct...

This idea that you send paperwork to some other Country and still in Asia, that then it is sent on to some printers in the UK, and hope it arrives and gets sent back in my case via Vietnam, how secure do people feel ? you can track paperwork to H.K. only then it is pot luck if and when you receive your new Passport, as you know nothing after it has arrived in H.K., there has been reports before as well as on posts on this thread of people waiting weeks to be informed from H.K. that there is some error on there paperwork..

Maybe I am old school, but handing over to a live person face to face, to me is far more secure than paperwork and new Passports being send from Office to office around the world.by any old Tom Dick or Harry

Fine if Passports can now only be printed in UK, send by Diplomatic pouch from Embassy in the Country you live.

I do not think so, this privilege is reserved for Brits! Totally agree an important document like a passport should not be dealt with in this way. It was much safer to apply at a UK Embassy to an actual person where all paperwork is verified correct and then collect new passport later in person.

If you send via EMS, then how does the passport get sent back to you?

Sorry, just that I'm in the process of making my UK passport renewal. I am in Chiang Rai which does not have a DHL office (closest is Chiang Mai) and I don't yet understand the whole process.

Thank you!

Not at all sure anyone understand the whole process. myself renew last year, sent all to H.K. via EMS, signed the form for using my Thai debit card from BKK Bank......... 2 days later money went from the debit card, 3 days after this the EMS tracking on-line showed the package arrived at the UK Embassy in H.K.......!!

You hear nothing at all......... day 22 got an email from Vietnam DHL, to say package had arrived !!?? **? and would be sent next day to arrive in Bangkok... sure next afternoon got an email from DHL Bangkok. only with a different DHL tracking number !! No idea ??

NO they would not deliver, NO they would not send to a nearer DHL Depot, this was also asked by a Thai so could be NO misunderstanding.. So must collect + must have proof of address + copy of Passport...

That was not the end...... 100 km each way to this DHL Office = was 2 x package 1x with the Vietnam tracking number and 1x with the one Bangkok had sent, . so needed 2x proof of address and 2x passport copies......

1x package had my new passport the other same size package had a single direct debit payment slip in it.........Why did I need to pay shipping for another package ? I did not even have tracking number for ?

and NO I don't yet understand the whole process and a still do not, what a cock up way to run a Business... Passports are important, how difficult would it be for H.K. to sent an email ? how difficult for UK to send an email ? and give tracking number ???? what is the point of using DHL and a tracking number if you do not even get given the said number.

What a shambles and cock up way to run a Business. the only + is it did arrive and appears most Passport do arrive.

"UK Embassy in H.K.......!!"

Last time I looked there were only consulates in HK.

I have a couple of simple questions.

1 I don't have a beard now. Does this count as a "significant" change?

2 I have 2 passports legally but one has now expired. Can I apply for a new one using the expired passport while still keeping the current one going fo another 15 months?

2 I have 2 passports legally but one has now expired. Can I apply for a new one using the expired passport while still keeping the current one going fo another 15 months?

1. I think perhaps having a beard now would be signficant.

Answer to 2 follows.

A note for those of us with multiple UK passports, you now need a justification letter from your employer for any passport renewal. My last renewal was delayed for two weeks because it took HK that long to get around to emailing me to request same, got my new PP 10 days after sending them the letter (PDF by email).

1. I think perhaps having a beard now would be signficant.

Answer to 2 follows.

>A note for those of us with multiple UK passports, you now need a justification letter from your employer for any passport renewal. My last renewal was delayed for two weeks because it took HK that long to get around to emailing me to request same, got my new PP 10 days after sending them the letter (PDF by email).

A bit tricky for a justification letter as when I got it the last time I was self employed and now I am retired.

That passport expired in September 2008 and I had a beard and wore glasses.

My current passport is valid until May 2014 and yes I had a beard and wore glasses on that one too.

Today on checking bank I see a credit card charge of £184.96 from Hong Kong Consulate so it looks like the paperwork and photo has been accepted. I wait with great anticipation now for DHL to deliver my brand new shiny 48 page UK passport.smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Today on checking bank I see a credit card charge of £184.96 from Hong Kong Consulate so it looks like the paperwork and photo has been accepted. I wait with great anticipation now for DHL to deliver my brand new shiny 48 page UK passport.smile.png

I only sent 1.895 HK dollars 184 pound seems quite a lot more.

They would normally leave a notice that they attempted delivery and phone number to contact to make arrangements for another delivery or pick-up location.

If you check the tracking info it will tell you the date of delivery. See: http://www.dhl.co.th/en.html

Thanks for the help.

dhl did ring when my wf.new passport arrived.

I got my card charged on Feb 22nd and still waiting to get mine, hopefully it will be in the next few days.

I got my card charged on Feb 22nd and still waiting to get mine, hopefully it will be in the next few days.

What currency they used to charge? I am holding Thai PR and a NON-QUOTA IMMIGRANT VISA, What should I send for renewal ?

Your residence book has nothing to do with obtaining a new passport - after you get the new passport is when you will have to use that with authorities here - the UK has no use for it. This thread is about obtaining a new UK passport - that is what you need to do?