Frying Pan In Carry On Luggage

shaggy1969

I am a cabin attendant, so I think I can answer that one, and the answer is Depends who you find at the security check. You won't believe the things people bring in airplane but as long as it isn't sharp or liquid they may let u pass, on the other hand they could see it as a weapon.... I can tell you for sure that it is not on the list of forbidden objects that u usually find in the airport and if its any help I did see people with stuff like this boarding the airplane.... Hope it helps

• Like 2

From memory most frying pans are round?

No sharp edges.

I reckon you can take it.

If not, stick it in your suitcase at check in

Right, but than a baseball bat is not sharp either but you will never go thru security with it :)

I would suggest you try I think you will pass if not, it's just a pan....

Edited by alexgav

Just a hunch....but I reckon if you're also carrying a small gas stove and two dozen eggs you might not be allowed to board.

If he can make a perfect omelette right there on the plane i am sure he will be let throughwink.png .

I am a cabin attendant, so I think I can answer that one, and the answer is Depends who you find at the security check. You won't believe the things people bring in airplane but as long as it isn't sharp or liquid they may let u pass, on the other hand they could see it as a weapon.... I can tell you for sure that it is not on the list of forbidden objects that u usually find in the airport and if its any help I did see people with stuff like this boarding the airplane.... Hope it helps

Thank you for that objective reply. It surely helps. Agreed it depends a lot on the custom's officer's discretion at that time.

• Like 1

Just a hunch....but I reckon if you're also carrying a small gas stove and two dozen eggs you might not be allowed to board.

Donno about that, I would pay him a good money if he could rustle me up a nice omelette.

Airline food is atrocious. coffee1.gif

You don't even know how much you are right, I used to eat that stuff on a daily basis for a few years. Now I bring my own food from home...

• Like 1

If he can make a perfect omelette right there on the plane i am sure he will be let throughwink.png .

Thank you for that objective reply. It surely helps. Agreed it depends a lot on the custom's officer's discretion at that time.

No problem, glad if i can help

Donno about that, I would pay him a good money if he could rustle me up a nice omelette.

You don't even know how much you are right, I used to eat that stuff on a daily basis for a few years. Now I bring my own food from home...

Indeed! once i brought fried chicken and sticky rice on a domestic flight in Thailand. Is this possible to do this inter-continental as well?

Yes u can bring food in airplane, that's for sure the problem is you better don't forget it in your bag if u don't eat it all onboard, you may find some people, specially in Australia giving you a fine in the airport of your destination. Some country won't let you bring food if not proper packed and declared.... Other from this I saw people bringing in on intercontinental flights even fried potatoes from home in those microwave transparent boxes.....

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies guys thumbsup.gif

My main concern was if it would be looked at an offensive weapon and so rejected.

The reason for me wanting to take a good frying pan is that I am tired of trying to make a full English breakfast in a wok.

Buying a pan in Thailand is always an option but that could take a couple of weeks after my arrival because I am getting picked up at the airport by my family and then driving straight home because my little daughter will be born in April and I can not get there for the birth so I want to get back home ASAP so I can see her.

• Like 1

In Business Class ?

Surely you jest

• Like 1

In Business Class ?

Surely you jest

Its crap even in first class on Emirates David, trust me.

• Like 1

I admit that I took a frying pan to Thailand but it was in the stowed bag ... not the cabin bag.

Yep ... you can buy them in the local TESCO ... but my Uncle passed and there was a heap of kitchen stuff and it was a new quality Teflon flat based frying pan

• Like 1

on the other hand they could see it as a weapon....

Visions of Tom and Jerry going through an airport security checkpoint are meandering through my mind....

" So Mr. Mouse. What you're telling me is that this ironing board, gas cooker hob turned up to maximum, rolling pin and bowling ball are all completely innocent are you? I might be inclined to believe you if in fact there wasn't a small yellow duck following you insisting that you're his "mama"

I admit that I took a frying pan to Thailand but it was in the stowed bag ... not the cabin bag.

Yep ... you can buy them in the local TESCO ... but my Uncle passed and there was a heap of kitchen stuff and it was a new quality Teflon flat based frying pan

same , same as you i brought 1 from the u.k , and a mate over here laughted and said you can get 1 from tesco here much easier it was teflon cost 899bt but i had the last laugh when he used it for some reason or quality balls up the center of the pan was rased a few m/m every time he fried an egg it looked like a half moon ,

i also had a night flight from m/chester with ethihad and took a large donner kebbab on board with me and after good few pints air side i was glad i did ,

but you should have seen the guy next to me,s face when i took it out from my hand luggage . ( it was before all the new rules and NO liquid checks )

There is a Madea movie (Tyler Perry in old lady drag) where she gives a young woman instruction on how to fend off her abusive husband using a frying pan -- just hope the security inspector didn't see that one. Lordy!

I'm doing it the other way around, I want to bring in 15" cast-metal wok to the US. It's a little too big to carry on, but I'm wondering if I put it in the checked bag it will appear suspicious and my bag will be opened. I'm not concerned about being inspected, but I don't want various airport employees to think that xmas has arrived and have them mistake my luggage for Santa's sack of goodies. I may go for a smaller on when the time comes.

There is a Madea movie (Tyler Perry in old lady drag) where she gives a young woman instruction on how to fend off her abusive husband using a frying pan -- just hope the security inspector didn't see that one. Lordy!

I'm doing it the other way around, I want to bring in 15" cast-metal wok to the US. It's a little too big to carry on, but I'm wondering if I put it in the checked bag it will appear suspicious and my bag will be opened. I'm not concerned about being inspected, but I don't want various airport employees to think that xmas has arrived and have them mistake my luggage for Santa's sack of goodies. I may go for a smaller on when the time comes.

You can also try to make it a separate checked-inn baggage, depending on your airline policy you may or may not pay something extra but this means its separated from your main check-inn luggage and they won't have to open it as they can screen it on x-ray and see its only a pan. Hope it helps :)

• Like 1

A bit off topic but why are nail clippers banned? Im not about to suddenly give the pilot a pedicure

Some of them (most) have something that looks as a small knife. It is indeed silly since for example my company offers metal knifes during the service (also in economy class) and even more silly if you think that the plastic knifes you often see onboard are in fact very sharp and can cut quite well sometimes better than the steel ones (from the airplane)post-174962-13614177814114_thumb.jpg