Patana School Bangkok

Beth2

Friends are looking to move from UK to BKK with business. They have 10 and 12 year old boys. Does anyone have personal experience studying/ teaching at Patana School BKK? Highlights and lowlights? Can you recommend good places to start looking for housing nearby? Thanks

Hi

I'm a retired UK teacher. When I first arrived in BKK, 6 years ago, I taught briefly at Bangkok Patana School to substitute for a teacher on maternity cover. During a full teaching career in the UK and overseas, I rate the school very highly. There's a calm, but purposeful atmosphere in the school and what struck me most forcefully, was that most students actually enjoyed being at the school. This doesn't mean a frivolous approach to their studies - there was a very strong work ethic.

It is certainly the best school I've ever worked at and the most rewarding as a teacher. I highly recommend the school and don't know of a better one in BKK.

• Like 1

The problem is that pattana and isb are so far out of town - if the family is living in central Bangkok then the bus ride is 1 to 2 hours mornings and afternoons- to me that is cruel and unusual punishment to force younger kids especially to commute for up to 4 hours daily. if the family can live close to the school then it's no problem- the school is very good.

Personally, if they plan to live in Bangkok then I would recommend NIST which is in asok

Just to chime in... I have made it from Sukhumvit 24 to Bangkok Pattana in 20mins... morning traffic.

Once your on the highway, its a breeze.

Must have been a highly unusual day- i drove from Suk 24 to Pattana recently to attend a fair - on a weekend morning mind you- and it took 45 minutes.

Just to chime in... I have made it from Sukhumvit 24 to Bangkok Pattana in 20mins... morning traffic.

Must have been a highly unusual day- i drove from Suk 24 to Pattana recently to attend a fair - on a weekend morning mind you- and it took 45 minutes.

I don't know the names of soi's, only how to get there quickly. As someone mentioned, once you get to Bangna Trad, it's a breeze. Coming from the center of Bangkok, you exit to take the Bitec u-turn and get in the left lane once you are on the other side heading towards the entrance of Bitec. There will be a soi with a yellow arrow (green sign) and you turn left there and follow it and will ultimately exit on LaSalle. Turn left there and go straight and you will see the entrance of the school several hundred meters down the road. Check google maps. Really not hard, although getting to Bangna Trad on some days can take forever.

Don't know much about the Secondary school, but in Primary they follow a mix of IPC/National Curriculum with a bit of IB (PYP) thrown in. In all, enough to stimulate and challenge any kind of learner. Highly motivated teachers and coaches-very professional. All sorts of extra curricular activities on offer.

Housing close to the school-try the gated communities or smaller compounds on bangna trad road or srinakarin road-any real estate agent will have listings.

The top four international schools in Bangkok were ISB (International School of Bangkok), RIS (Ruamrudee International School), BPS (Bangkok Pattana School), and NIST (New International School of Thailand). ISB focuses exclusively on the American curriculum while BPS focuses exclusively on the UK curriculum. NIST and RIS have a combination of both. So if you're coming from the UK, its most natural to send your sons to those schools. Many of my friends who are alumnis from that school have gone onto great colleges in Europe and the USA.

The top four international schools in Bangkok were ISB (International School of Bangkok), RIS (Ruamrudee International School), BPS (Bangkok Pattana School), and NIST (New International School of Thailand). ISB focuses exclusively on the American curriculum while BPS focuses exclusively on the UK curriculum. NIST and RIS have a combination of both. So if you're coming from the UK, its most natural to send your sons to those schools. Many of my friends who are alumnis from that school have gone onto great colleges in Europe and the USA.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that the top 4 are those mentioned above. RIS does not rate that highly and has a high drop out rate amongst kids in years 11 and 12. I think it is worth mentioning Harrow, Shrewsbury and Bangkok Prep. They are reasonable but certainly not in the BPS/NIST/ISB categories. BTW - NIST is one of the very few (or the only) full IB school in Bangkok - it does NOT have a combination of both British and IB. BPS is based on the British system but does offer IB at IB Diploma level. Just to clarify.

• Like 1

BPS is definitely the best school in Bangkok now if you consider the new facilities and buildings that have just been constructed. The school has just recently gone through extensive rebuilding and renovations. Everything else just looks run down (especially RIS), just stating my observations. Not saying aesthetics equal good education but BPS does have the highest average IB diploma points as well as the lowest failure rate among the other IB schools in Thailand.

My daughter goes to St Josephs, not far from BPS. My wife also went there many many years ago. Good school. get out of BKK and live in Bang Na, or Bang Phli and its only minutes to get there.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that the top 4 are those mentioned above. RIS does not rate that highly and has a high drop out rate amongst kids in years 11 and 12. I think it is worth mentioning Harrow, Shrewsbury and Bangkok Prep. They are reasonable but certainly not in the BPS/NIST/ISB categories. BTW - NIST is one of the very few (or the only) full IB school in Bangkok - it does NOT have a combination of both British and IB. BPS is based on the British system but does offer IB at IB Diploma level. Just to clarify.

I am with you. Top schools in Bangkok are BPS, IBS and NIST (in alphabetically order, so as not to get into protracted arguements about which is best). Many others follow, including Harrows, Shrewsury, Bangkok Prep, St. Andrews etc.

Does anyone know what percentage if isb. Patana and NIST kids go to ivy leagues or Oxbridge.? In my mind that is the best way to determine which Bangkok school is best.

In my mind, the best way to determine which school is best would be to visit a school, see the campus, see the curriculum, speak with some teacher/admin, speak with other parents who have kids there, AND look at the school's statistics.

• Like 1

How? And Where do you get on and off the highway?

You'd be pushed to do it in 20 minutes at 3.00 am on a sports bike!

Edited by Soi Sauce

Does anyone know what percentage if isb. Patana and NIST kids go to ivy leagues or Oxbridge.? In my mind that is the best way to determine which Bangkok school is best.

Both schools publish lists detailiing the various destinations of their graduates. In fact at NIST they have a banner at the front gate listing all of the universities that various students enrolled. I'm sure that a quick phone call to the senior year counselors in the respective schools would yeild results.