Air Travellers Flock To Thailand For Songkran Celebrations

webfact

Air travellers flock to Thailand for Songkran celebrations
By Digital Media

13652202428477.jpg

BANGKOK, Apr 6 - At least 2.69 million tourists will arrive Thailand on 16,000 flights from next week to celebrate the water-splashing Songkran festival, according to the Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT).

Several airlines will increase flights to Bangkok on April 9-18. Flights via Suvarnabhumi airport will be boosted from 802 flights/day to 844 flights/day through the Thai New Year festival, comprised of 682 international flights and 162 domestic flights.

Passengers using the airport during Songkran will increase from around 157,000 persons/day to 164,000 persons/day.

Don Mueang airport, which provides budget airline service, will be equally busy with 370 flights/day, up from the normal 320 flights/day.

Passenger traffic will rise to about 50,000 persons/day from the regular 45,000 persons/day, the AoT said.

Phuket airport in Thailand's South will see 191 flights/day over the holiday period, an increase from the normal 170 flights/day, while passengers will increase from 27,000 persons/day to 30,000 persons/day.

At Chiang Mai airport in the North of Thailand, 128 flights will tread the runway each day during the festival. Normal traffic at the airport is 120 flights/day. Passengers will increase from 13,800 persons/day to 14,600 persons/day. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-06

I am guessing the numbers are higher because of thai's returning from abroad for songkran. I don't think there is much of an increase of tourist who come for this. My friend who will be leaving during songkran could not get a re-entry permit from pattaya immigration yesterday. After arriving at 10 am he was told to they closed the que as they could not process anymore before Wednesday of next week. So he will try again then.

Edited by marinediscoking

Well according to the government with there 11 rules about songkran, it should be like it is in november ! Nothing going on ! Haha cant see anyone sticking to these rules no matter what the so called punishment may be.

I'm guessing that most of the people arriving over the next week don't know anything about Songkran.

sure? not everyone is an ignorant tourist who knows nothing or little about Thailand.

What i guess is that they are happy and be glad for having holidays in Thailand and will enjoy their stay here. thier happiness seems to be other peoples misery.

but then no matter, those responsible for the increase of air traffic and planes coming probably do know what songkran is and it is the reason why they come.

• Like 1

I am guessing the numbers are higher because of thai's returning from abroad for songkran. I don't think there is much of an increase of tourist who come for this. My friend who will be leaving during songkran could not get a re-entry permit from pattaya immigration yesterday. After arriving at 10 am he was told to they closed the que as they could not process anymore before Wednesday of next week. So he will try again then.

Your friend could get a re-entry permit at the airport.

• Like 1

Your friend could get a re-entry permit at the airport.

He is going from Don Muang. I am not sure if they have a desk there.

I am always amazed when I see headlines like this. Every farang I know is either dreading songkran, or is leaving town. The airplanes must be full of returning Thais...

first if it says 'tourists' that doesn't mean they must be farang and second you maybe know only a certain group of farangs.

i know foreigners, some of them also farang, who like songkran

Edited by ZhouZhou

I love Songkranguitar.gif, but then again I am not a miserable cynical b*****d like most on TVF. I also have a proper job in Thailand so appreciate having a few days holiday, unlike most on TVF.

From the car wash. ? intheclub.gif Go for it. smile.png

I assume a returning Thai is not counted as tourist?

Anyway, with strict control on drinks, high-power (water) guns and a few more, I'm sure that Khao San road here in Bangkok will be a family friendly place with Songkhran

I don't mind Songkran but the drunken Thai drivers using the beach road where I live as a racetrack scare the shit out of me so stocking up with food and not using car or scooter for a few days and having a quiet drink in a bar about 1 min walk away. If I need to go out I will be using the car.

Well extra flights into Thailand also have to fly out. Are inward bound flights fuller than the outward bound?

Reporting that more passengers are using the airport doesn't necessarily mean that those passengers are flying in.

Anyway, with strict control on drinks, high-power (water) guns and a few more, I'm sure that Khao San road here in Bangkok will be a family friendly place with Songkhran

yes. and that also means an almost high end tourist friendly place.