Preah Vihear Controversy: Cambodia's I C J Stance 'expected'

webfact

I don't think that the maritime issue is important to this squabble. Land is something you can see, touch and own and the gov't that is in charge when they lose land is going to have some real answering to do. The maritime issue is ultimately probably more important, economically, but I don't think the average Thai person sees it that way.

Cambodia said in its oral statement on Monday that it wanted the ICJ to interpret the 1962 ruling so as to end the long-standing conflict. Thailand, however, insisted that the ICJ is not authorised to do so. (MCOT online news)

The ICJ can't interpret it's own ruling. Interesting idea.

Thai logic

Amazing legal logic. Interpreting what was meant should clarify any misunderstanding, but the Thai case stands that they aren't able to interpret their own decision?

That doesn't sound like a strong legal argument to me, IMHO.

You falang, no understand Thai way

Well I hope the Thais have a bit more ammo than that. Telling a court they don't have the right to interpret their decision.

Does that work in Thailand?

At the bottom of each post there exists a small box saying "like this".

I propose the powers that be add one next to it saying "do Not like this".

Edited by metisdead
Font: Arial, size 14, black.

I have often thought that would be a great idea...

Back to topic. Thailand has lost in every court case, not really sure why tthey continue to make fools of themselves on the international stage. The face system works really well here ( sarcasm button off) , but looks pretty buffoonish in a world court.

"Thailand will emphasise its position that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) lacks jurisdiction to give a verdict on the dispute"

Makes you wonder about the idea floated on temporarily accepting the limited jurisdiction of the ICC on a specific case only. Since the ministers are in the Hague anyway shouldn't they drop by at the ICC, just a courtesy visit and enquire about the possible progress and acceptance of the case on a possible crime against humanity?

• Like 1

Now you all, listen carefully: it's all the fault of the k. Abhisit, the Democrats party, the PAD, the yellows and the Army and anyone else is totally innocent.

BTW, just being sarcastic

Sarcastic or not there is not a single PT or red shirt who would disagree with you.

Except the totally innocent part.

You are new give it some time and you will be looking for a button that says idiotic.

As of now all you can do is put them on ignore.

Thailand will never give in, not because of the few sq kms, but out of fear of losing face. They have gone too far already...

Too bad the ICJ does not deal in 'face'.

You might want to add rice to the list of what Thailand has to deal with,

I have often thought that would be a great idea...

Back to topic. Thailand has lost in every court case, not really sure why tthey continue to make fools of themselves on the international stage. The face system works really well here ( sarcasm button off) , but looks pretty buffoonish in a world court.

Reddit is built like this, and 'karma' points are given out...you can then easily see who is being prickish and who is contributing to the conversation.

On this past Monday there was live webcast making the Cambodian presentation to the court available to anyone wishing to watch. Today as it is Thailands turn to present, there is no live webcast that I can find.... anyone know why, or have an answer to this comment?

Maybe Thailand does not wish anyone to see/hear the all powerful Thai presentation.

I find this very interesting.

I think it was sponsored or put out by The Nation on Monday. At least they had a button to click to watch.

On this past Monday there was live webcast making the Cambodian presentation to the court available to anyone wishing to watch. Today as it is Thailands turn to present, there is no live webcast that I can find.... anyone know why, or have an answer to this comment?

Maybe Thailand does not wish anyone to see/hear the all powerful Thai presentation.

I find this very interesting.

I think it was sponsored or put out by The Nation on Monday. At least they had a button to click to watch.

Maybe the strategy involves pastry boxes. A long tried and trusted plan in Thailand.