Finally: Google Streetview Is Here!

WinnieTheKhwai

I think it's a bit later in the day that they got there.

(Yes, I looked. smile.png )

Clearly thought that's not what it's about. It's super convenient for showing someone where that recommended shop is, how to get to Cosy beach and where the stars down to the beach start, take a look at the surroundings of a particular hotel you're staying at, etc.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Also, the area covered is HUGE; it's a lot more than just downtown Patters. For example, we really liked this seafood place in Bang Saray: http://goo.gl/maps/4wN6F

It also covers Sri Racha, Chonburi and it looks like Bangkok Streetview was finally improved to cover the city properly, too.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Actually something very similar used to be part of MapJack but they removed Pattaya at some point. Still available here though: http://www.pattayaphotoguide.com/

Even when Google were taking the pictures of Pattaya for streetview last year there was a lot of discussion by the powers that be as to whether Pattaya would ever actually be included or not. Presumably Google have done extra verification on the images in some of the sois, as well as taking the photos outside of normal opening hours.

• Like 1

Even when Google were taking the pictures of Pattaya for streetview last year there was a lot of discussion by the powers that be as to whether Pattaya would ever actually be included or not. Presumably Google have done extra verification on the images in some of the sois, as well as taking the photos outside of normal opening hours.

? Why would that be? Google needs to plan their drives when there is a minimum of traffic (good luck with that in Pattaya) but that's the main constraint or you end up with cars and trucks all over the images. And there needs to be daylight, and preferably a sunny day.

At those times there are a couple bars open, but so what? Is anyting going to show that would be against Google's policy: highly unlikely. The software already blanks out faces and license plates all by itself, so there's not much else that needs doing specifically for Pattaya.

The MapJack imagery covered a very small area (to the point of it being a demo of the technology more than anything else) and is also very dated by now. Streetview shows the (near) current situation.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

BlackPuddingBertha, on 23 Apr 2013 - 02:31, said:

It has nothing to do with Google's policies. The people who were objecting to Pattaya being included in Streetview were local and Thai. It shouldnt be hard to work out why some sois might not fit with today's desired image of the city.

You mean typing "Pattaya" in Google Maps would result in a worse image compared to typing "Pattaya" in Google Image Search? (Try it. smile.png )

(Note that I'm not disagreeing with you that those people were objecting, I'm saying that I think that their objections make little sense. If anything the Google Streetview imagery can be used to enlighten those people who never set foot in Pattaya in their lives, but do vent all kinds of crap about the place. Including those on Thaivisa outside the Pattaya subforum)

I'm actually on a Google News alert for articles and blog posts about Thailand, so quite often I come across some blog post or article from a local church newsletter from the middle of nowhere, where people used some of the donations for a nice trip to Thailand and then spout all kinds of nonsense about the place. "underage sex workers everywhere, can't walk anywhere without seeing horrific scenes" and all that. As a picture says more than a thousands words (and any contradicting opinion is taken as me being a sex tourist), it will be EXCELLENT to put in a steetview link stating: "Um, this is the place you're talking about. I was there with my wife and kids recently for a holiday. Were you on drugs writing all that crap?"

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Another fun thing you can do now is do 'then and now' comparisons, showing the difference a couple years make.

DId a topic like that for Chiang Mai (which had excellent Streetview coverage for quite a while, and is also on Mapjack for the city center). The point I was making for Chiang Mai was that many older buildings are actually being renovated and improved, resulting in postive change for the city. (Yes, we have a vinegar brigade in CM too who claim that it was one big green teletubbies land before and all development turns the place ugly. The comparison pictures showed not just development, but also improvement.)

For Pattaya though.. I see mostly development. ;) But then I don't know Pattaya all that well so the following shots are going to be of pretty obvious places, but you get the point.

Then: post-64232-0-41926100-1366702122_thumb.j Now: post-64232-0-07403100-1366702135_thumb.j

Then: post-64232-0-35516800-1366702353_thumb.j Now: post-64232-0-76763100-1366702366_thumb.j

Then: post-64232-0-32716800-1366702381_thumb.j Now: post-64232-0-44065300-1366702393_thumb.j

It's funny because his represents just a handful of years..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this! Very useful :-)

and if you want something a bit different if you haven't seen it already try typing “Fukushima, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan “into Google street view and see a true life example of a ghost town......

Edited by Asiantravel

Thanks for posting this! Very useful :-)

and if you want something a bit different if you haven't seen it already try typing “Fukushima, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan “into Google street view and see a true life example of a ghost town......

sorry it is " Namie , Fukushima Prefecture, Japan "

Ah, sorry. You start at http://maps.google.com and then you navigate (Search, zoom and pan) to the area that you want to see. Then you click and drag the little person figure on the top left into the map.

post-64232-0-25839800-1366721788.jpg

All streets that are covered by Streetview now turn blue. (Which is currenlty just about all of them in Pattaya), then you drag the little person figure to the street you want to see and release the mouse button, dropping the guy in the spot. You will then see the street view.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Have you checked to see if you are on the map?

I saw the Streetview vehicle twice here last year. Just checked and I am indeed in one of the pictures. (Face blurred out: recognised my clothes and stomach.) I'm not posting the link!

why no link if face is blured out anyways :(

Have you checked to see if you are on the map?

I saw the Streetview vehicle twice here last year. Just checked and I am indeed in one of the pictures. (Face blurred out: recognised my clothes and stomach.) I'm not posting the link!

why no link if face is blured out anyways sad.png

I'm not putting my clothes and stomach up for public ridicule, even anonymously. smile.png