One Night Out In Bangkok

chrisboyo

Hi guys,

I will be spending one night out in Bangkok next month for my stag and so would like to know where is best places to go.

I am going to be with my FIL, BIL and my own father and brother and mates. I am looking to find some good info on bars to visit for the one night, ain't looking at any places to pick women up as its my stag, but would like to maybe have some fun and show my mates and family a ping pong show or some other entertaining sides of Bangkok.

Thanks.

Nana plaza... has it all and up to you if you join in.

When in Rome.......

hahahaha. I don't think I'll be joining in, that's for sure. My FIL or more likely, my BIL would kick my ass.

This next one just shows how little I know of Bangkok, where is Nana plaza? What's the nearest BTS stop? I can get around following that as I plan on saying in Sukhumvit for the night.

Cheers.

So you're not interested in places to pick women up... means no gogo, no girlie bars, no disco... but then you want to see a ping pong show, I don't get it. Ping pong shows are the most boring and least sexy shows ever, it's like going to the circus and see a bored and drugged tiger performing stupid tricks. You should rather go to one of those places where you can pick women up (yeah I know you're not into "that") but at least you can listen to music, dance, drink, meet some friendly people, chat, play pool or whatever. Much better fun, believe me.

So you're not interested in places to pick women up... means no gogo, no girlie bars, no disco... but then you want to see a ping pong show, I don't get it. Ping pong shows are the most boring and least sexy shows ever, it's like going to the circus and see a bored and drugged tiger performing stupid tricks. You should rather go to one of those places where you can pick women up (yeah I know you're not into "that") but at least you can listen to music, dance, drink, meet some friendly people, chat, play pool or whatever. Much better fun, believe me.

Yeah I have never done the bar scene in Bangkok and probably will never do it again, but as my family and friends are traveling over from all places for me, I would like to have one night out with them and show them BKK.

The other guys have mentioned soi cowboy and nana plaza so will check those out to where I am staying and see if its easy enough to get to, otherwise, bar with a pool table, music and beers would fit me perfectly.

Soi Cowboy is better imo.....Sukhumvit Soi 23. ;)

Yeah I am staying on Sukhumvit 16 so soi cowboy is just across the main road there. Looks like it could be a good option.

Any recommendations on the bars, just looking to have a good time but not with the ladies, if that happens I will be in trouble.

Soi Cowboy is better imo.....Sukhumvit Soi 23. wink.png

Yeah I am staying on Sukhumvit 16 so soi cowboy is just across the main road there. Looks like it could be a good option.

Any recommendations on the bars, just looking to have a good time but not with the ladies, if that happens I will be in trouble.

if your on Suk 16 no need for BTS as nana and cowboy in easy walking distance. Nana plaza is nana station to answer the question, down soi 4.

Some good bars in soi 4 and 11, no ping pongs but decent places to have a beer.

Soi Cowboy is better imo.....Sukhumvit Soi 23. wink.png

Three recommendations.

1. Slip your pals early doors and nip into Fanny's for a bit of early "action" by yourself. tongue.png

2. All of the bars are worth a look....my favourites are Suzie Wong and AfterSkool.

3. The one at the end is good for a few drinks and a bit of dancing when have had enough of the others....Country Road.

Wherever you go...drink bottled beers....the quality of spirits can be errrm.....poor. wink.png

Edit: sp.

Edited by smokie36

Step 1: Get yourselves in the mood:

{Great soundtrack too} Sorry - have not figured how to embed - thats a comment on Thaivisa video posting skills, not my pulling techniqu.

Step 2: Afternoon/early evening. Beer Garden (Suk soi 7) for chatting to a variety of girls and fellow tourists and foreign residents, relatively cheap beer, pool upstairs.

4-5pm park yer bums on bar stools looking out into soi 4 (soi Nana) at a bar on the approaches to Nana Plaza (like Morning Nite). Watch the girls checking in for the evenings work at the gogos - group games like grading the totty and spot the katoey appeal to my ageing juvenile mind when on tourlaugh.png.

If you want a cultural alternative and a break form drinking and you are all still reasonably sober then pile in a tuk-tuk (I'm assuming you will be tourists, resident foreigners wouldnt be seen dead in em) and have a foot and leg massage at Wat Po: around 5pm it quietens down and the atmosphere in that wat as the sun descends is great.

I digress ..

Step 3: Mid evening. Soi Cowboy. Spend more time on the street and at the bars outside the gogos than inside. More fun there, people watching and fighting off bar girl attention than watching bored girls gyrate (mostly bikini-clad these days and voracious consu,mers of expensive ersatz tequila). Live music and more pool at Country Road at the Asoke end of the soi

Step 4: 11-12pm Return to Nana (if you could find it, via the cheap beer on the way at an underground bar on the North side of Sukhumvit (name, someone?) watching the Asians and a few falang walking the lines of girls in a classic Bangkok meat market - we are not talking pork and beef here! Visit katoey bar at the back of Nana Plaza for a laugh - only possible in a gang of lads, far too intimidating if you are on your own. If thats too close to the knuckle then sit at one of the bars in the centre and watch the customers go by. Spot the naive tourists who dont know they are being dragged in to those gender-bending venues by (sometimes gorgeous looking) blokes!

If you want a show, do avoid the dire ping-pong crap in Patpong. Youll feel cheated out of your money if you do. In fact go nowhere near Patpong. Angel Witch on the first floor of Nana is reasonably well done erotica. None offensive but likely to suit a multi-generational group. Shows start 10pm every half hour.

Step 5: Up to you how many gogos you have been in by now. Beers are very expensive inside so always send a scout in first - so many of the gg bars these days are evidently tedious as soon as youve got accustomed to the light. If you all try gogo hopping and start buying beers in every one youll be dead drunk and light of pocket by 11pm! Beers now run 140 to 180 baht in Cowboy and Nana ggbars.

If you like music and/or a dance then its off to a club around 1am. There are plenty of threads on the Bangkok forum. Ive been to a few but they are not really my scene after a long days partying, so Ill leave others to recommend. Youll be too drunk for the upmarket ones like BedSupperClub

A bunch of guys determined to have a good time will indeed have a good time in the Bangkok gogo areas. Seamy, Bangkok is ... no longer (or is that just my age). Put it this way - my Thai wife would choose this as an agenda for her one night in Bangkok - which she does/we do at least once every 6 months!

Cue the comments about this being a sad ole to$$ers agenda??laugh.png

Edit: embedding worked / I'm a Brit - first floor to a Brit means second floor to Thais and Americans

Edit 2: rule of thumb: the bigger the gogo, the cr@pper the fun.

Queens Castle 2 in Patpong used to be a good show. Think things have changed a bit now though....some good music bars there too...worth a look as much as the others but not if staying in Suk probably.

Nope, I don't live in Bangkok. Me and the mrs live full time in Dublin, but she is from Pathumthani.

We are getting married in June and hence why me and my family and friends are heading out for a night out.

I have been into Bangkok for the normal tourist spots with the mrs and my parents, but this is my first time going out to the bars there. I don't have any interests for this, but as my mates want one night out in BKK I am asking where is best to go.

Assuming FIL and BIL are Thai will they be allowed in the Nana and Cowboy bars?

????

Was this a wind up? Ill fall for it in case you are sowing seeds of doubt in the OPs mind

Of course they will and do. There is no racial interrogation on the door - a creature from Mars would be welcome provided he paid the bill. You regularly see gangs of better healed Thai men and Thais taking their falang business associates/falang friends around the bars/gogos. My Thai wife regularly drags me into ggs and bbs (cos she seems to like talking to the girls) and my Thai BIL has also accompanied us.

????

Was this a wind up? Ill fall for it in case you are sowing seeds of doubt in the OPs mind

Of course they will and do. There is no racial interrogation on the door - a creature from Mars would be welcome provided he paid the bill. You regularly see gangs of better healed Thai men and Thais taking their falang business associates/falang friends around the bars/gogos. My Thai wife regularly drags me into ggs and bbs (cos she seems to like talking to the girls) and my Thai BIL has also accompanied us.

Depends a bit on the venue.

They're not allowed everywhere it seems.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/631302-thai-men-not-allowed-in-clubs/

????

Depends a bit on the venue.

They're not allowed everywhere it seems.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/631302-thai-men-not-allowed-in-clubs/

Yeah in laws are Thai. The rest of us are Fallang.

I didnt even think of that, but looking at the above comment it seems it should be ok. If it does turn out to be a problem, then there is more than one bar in BKK we can go to so I ain't worrying.

hahahaha. I don't think I'll be joining in, that's for sure. My FIL or more likely, my BIL would kick my ass.

This next one just shows how little I know of Bangkok, where is Nana plaza? What's the nearest BTS stop? I can get around following that as I plan on saying in Sukhumvit for the night.

Cheers.

Nana Plaza is at the entrance of Sukhumvit Soi 4:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=nana+plaza&hl=en&ll=13.738551,100.553398&spn=0.022803,0.038581&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.008397,79.013672&t=m&hq=nana+plaza&z=15

Prospective Thai father and brother-in-law would probably think the usual farang places are not that much fun.

They'd think the girls look terrible!

Personally, I don't think I'd take my "outlaws" to those places...gives the wrong (right) impression!

Depends on their background...."normal folk"...maybe a restaurant, Thai club or karaoke...richer ones...a "G Club" ?

Have a great night! thumbsup.gif"

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL